Author Topic: Large Fade Areas  (Read 2315 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

tom mann

  • Administrator
  • Crew
  • *****
  • Posts: 10921
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +1017
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
Re: Large Fade Areas
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2015, 11:49:51 AM »
0
Add retarder/extender to keep things wet and allow blending.

I would use this with two gallons, blue and white. 

However, if you do your lighting in a certain way, just use the blue and shine lights at the bottom.

wazzou

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6812
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1736
Re: Large Fade Areas
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2015, 11:51:15 AM »
0
Model an overcast day.


Or model night.   :D
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA


wazzou

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6812
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1736
Re: Large Fade Areas
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2015, 12:16:40 PM »
0
I would use this with two gallons, blue and white. 

However, if you do your lighting in a certain way, just use the blue and shine lights at the bottom.


I've had good luck with Floetrol when I dabbled in sign painting as a lad, I'd mix it with One Shot and later with Latex paint in my hobby use.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA


Nato

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2302
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +162
Re: Large Fade Areas
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2015, 12:26:07 PM »
0
 :|       I hope this reply posts only once. As an Art Major BS Degree from Westminster College in Salt Lake I have done brush blending in landscapes. I would recommend burshes or + uauing a paint roller which looks very good. Nate Goodman (Nato).

davefoxx

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12348
  • Gender: Male
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +8596
Re: Large Fade Areas
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2015, 12:29:02 PM »
0
Model an overcast day.

I believe this is what Dave Vollmer did when he painted the room that the Juniata Division resides in a light gray color.

DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!
Still General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.

Lemosteam

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6435
  • Gender: Male
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +4953
Re: Large Fade Areas
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2015, 12:31:46 PM »
0
Penetrol is for oil based paints and Floetrol is for latex.  Both can extend the dry time and flow rate for fairly long periods making blending time better.
John "Lemosteam" LeMerise

Scottl

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 5307
  • Respect: +2619
Re: Large Fade Areas
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2015, 02:20:28 PM »
0
You'll need it and some other fluids to blend 150' of backdrop that way.  This is no HCD the OP is working on  :ashat:

daniel_leavitt2000

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6444
  • Respect: +1427
Re: Large Fade Areas
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2015, 06:40:45 PM »
0
Scott that is exactly my problem. Most blending will work for short distances, but there is no way to wet-work the paint when going for this distance.

A few notes. You will be able to see the 1/2 to 2/3rds of the layout at any single point in the basement. This is intentional as I designed the room to be an open space. Too many large layouts feel claustrophobic with small isle ways, view blocks and clutter. This should also cut down on the "coffin" feel of the black paint.

While there are clouds and haze, horizon "fade" or atmospheric refraction is very, VERY uniform. This presents a problem with a layout that is so visually linear.

As for lighting. I am using diffuse LED rope lights behind a valence. There will be no way to angle them to reflect most of their light to the bottom of the backdrop so that will not work. Also having a semi-gloss backdrop would not be good for night operations, which will be a major thing.

I wonder if I should just go and ask an auto shop for help. I'm sure they have experience with fading paint.

In the mean time, what is a good thinner for standard latex paint? I may try a few areas this weekend. All I need is a paint gun. New toys!
American eyes, American eyes
View the world from American eyes
Bury the past, rob us blind
And leave nothing behind

Scottl

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 5307
  • Respect: +2619
Re: Large Fade Areas
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2015, 07:02:37 PM »
0
I have thinned wall latex paint with distilled water for this purpose and it worked well.


Santa Fe Guy

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1096
  • Respect: +359
Re: Large Fade Areas
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2015, 08:16:40 PM »
0
I'm with Scott. Spray along the lower portion. I used diluted liquitex white from an airbrush using a low air pressure. Remember less is best you can always add more in spots latter if required.
Worked well for me. You will get a lot done in a day if not all of your backdrop.
Rod.
santafesd40blogspot.com
Santafesd40.blogspot.com