Author Topic: Scale as a Percentage  (Read 1122 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

kelticsylk

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 781
  • Respect: 0
    • Milepost 15
Scale as a Percentage
« on: October 22, 2013, 09:33:52 PM »
0
I trying to figure out how to reduce a full size CAD drawing to N scale. The particular program I'm using to rescale doesn't seem to like the decimal equivalent of 1/160 or 0.00625. If I use a percentage figure how would I calculate that? Is it 100/160? That's 0.625%

I entered the size it should be in N scale and the program tells me the percentage is 7.55. I just understand how you arrive at that figure. I suck at mathematics
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 09:39:58 PM by kelticsylk »

pnolan48

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1754
  • Respect: +136
Re: Scale as a Percentage
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 10:00:31 PM »
0
You got the math right, so I'm presuming your software doesn't have the correct range. Try reducing it to 10% of original, save it, then reduce the saved drawing by 62.5%. I hope my math is correct.

Chris333

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 19609
  • Respect: +6934
Re: Scale as a Percentage
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 10:03:45 PM »
0
Since I am dumb as well  :P I'd sometimes draw a box around it and measure one side. Now put a mark where that line would end in N scale. And just resize it to that mark.

kelticsylk

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 781
  • Respect: 0
    • Milepost 15
Re: Scale as a Percentage
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 10:10:11 PM »
0
Didn't work out anyway. I got the model scaled down and uploaded it to Shapeways. They processed it and half the model is missing. Back to the drawing board.

peteski

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 35296
  • Gender: Male
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +6651
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Scale as a Percentage
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 10:24:21 PM »
0
Didn't work out anyway. I got the model scaled down and uploaded it to Shapeways. They processed it and half the model is missing. Back to the drawing board.

Unfortunately, for several reasons, designing a printable CAD model for Shapeways is not as easy as simply shrinking a 1:1 drawing of the real thing.
. . . 42 . . .