Author Topic: Hey Atlas, help a brother out. It's time for a NE5.  (Read 2072 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wcfn100

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 8947
  • Respect: +1383
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Hey Atlas, help a brother out. It's time for a NE5.
« on: June 21, 2012, 07:51:11 PM »
0
Even knowing that the final product would be less than satasfactory, I ordered some NE5 caboose shells from Shapeways.



What's a new body, cupola and few window glazings to a big 'ol company like Atlas?

I wonder how much primer I can load up on it?  I guess I'm going to find out.  :|

Jason


Tom L

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 476
  • Respect: +530
Re: Hey Atlas, help a brother out. It's time for a NE5.
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 09:46:10 PM »
0
Doesn't look too bad to me.  Are these for sale or something your messing around with?


Tom L.

fredmoehrle

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 217
  • Respect: 0
Re: Hey Atlas, help a brother out. It's time for a NE5.
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 08:38:09 AM »
0
What's that round piece on the middle of the side?

wcfn100

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 8947
  • Respect: +1383
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: Hey Atlas, help a brother out. It's time for a NE5.
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 11:02:53 AM »
0
Doesn't look too bad to me.  Are these for sale or something your messing around with?


They're something I'm just messing around with but only because the Shapeways quality is so poor right now.  Let me get a coat of paint and if you're still interested, I can open it to public sale.

What's that round piece on the middle of the side?

That's for the decal. 

Jason

peteski

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 35316
  • Gender: Male
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +6658
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Hey Atlas, help a brother out. It's time for a NE5.
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 02:10:13 PM »
0
Did the real caboose have a flat metal plate for the herald or you just don't want to decal over the ribs?
. . . 42 . . .

wcfn100

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 8947
  • Respect: +1383
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: Hey Atlas, help a brother out. It's time for a NE5.
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 02:20:12 PM »
0
Did the real caboose have a flat metal plate for the herald

Yeah. 

Jason

Tom L

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 476
  • Respect: +530
Re: Hey Atlas, help a brother out. It's time for a NE5.
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 09:16:37 PM »
0
Hey Jason,

If you can get it presentable, how about messing around with a MStL baywindow caboose next?

Tom L.

wcfn100

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 8947
  • Respect: +1383
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: Hey Atlas, help a brother out. It's time for a NE5.
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 11:58:29 PM »
0
If you can get it presentable, how about messing around with a MStL baywindow caboose next?

Considering the M&StL is my favorite RR, it's always somewhere on the list.  I was actually thinking about doing a Z scale version to go with the retooled MTL F7's.

I'm not sure the Shapeways process would make convincing board siding and you wouldn't have an under frame, ladders or running gear you could pick off another model.  But I do have some drawings done that I could probably transfer to 3D without too much effort.

There's a rumor that a laser wood caboose in in the works by somebody, but it's been a while since I heard anything about it.

Jason

eagle5473

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 54
  • Respect: 0
Re: Hey Atlas, help a brother out. It's time for a NE5.
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 03:00:50 PM »
0
Do you have a ;ink to the shapeways page for the NE5 I cant find it on their site

Aaron

wcfn100

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 8947
  • Respect: +1383
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: Hey Atlas, help a brother out. It's time for a NE5.
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 03:29:19 PM »
0
Do you have a ;ink to the shapeways page for the NE5 I cant find it on their site


I haven't made it public. 

I just put a second coat of sandable primer on and I'll hit it with some more fine grit paper and take some more pictures.  If people really want to spend  money on this, I'll make it public.  I think it looks awful, but I just couldn't help myself. In fact, if there's enough interest I can go back and address the grab irons (either have them printed on or make locating holes).

All of this of course is me impatiently waiting for Bryan's kit, which will be much better than this. 


Jason