0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Tim,if these are to become toys for a child then why not use the original mechanisms? It is very robust (mostly metal) and pretty much as they say "bulletproof"! Especially the older one with all metal gears. It will withstand all sorts of abuse and will run for years trouble-free. It is also very simple and very easy to maintain.Even Mark gave it a pretty good grade http://www.visi.com/~spookshow/trixf9a.html
Until the Atlas/Kato RS3s came out I ran MiniTrix Fs as my primary power. Even then, I kept a set for road service, and did much of my switching with them. One could solder wires from the trucks to the contact plate under the motor, but I found that a little careful bending om the wiper worked just as well. The wiper broke on one, and was replaced with a strip of thin brass, but it still worked fine. One advantage was that the entire mechanism could be taken apart and reassembled with only a screwdriver, making it very easy to clean the cat hair out of the gears. A bit of oil in the bearings now and then and they'll run forever. My mining company still uses an unmodified MiniTrix FM.Disclaimer: All of mine had metal gears, and were made in the 60s or 70s. I have no experience with plastic gears in a Minitrix F.