Author Topic: John Deere 9500 combine  (Read 6324 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

sirenwerks

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6037
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +510
John Deere 9500 combine
« on: June 28, 2012, 06:20:12 AM »
0
Anyone know what year this prototype came into production and, if it's not fitting for the late 60s, how it might be back-dated. I need some combines for loads.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

NARmike

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 157
  • "From the Land of the Mighty Peace"
  • Respect: +1
    • N Scale NAR
Re: John Deere 9500 combine
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 08:32:43 AM »
0
The John Deere 9500 was introduce in the late '80s... '89 if I remember right. The  closest models available for the era you are looking for would be the ones that are included in the DPM "Olson Feeds & Larsen's implement" Kit (#661) Now sold by Woodland Scenics.



There are two included in the kit and they actually represent a Case combine but at the time most combines looked quite similar. The kit was quite expensive (I think I paid $65 for mine off ebay) and unless your a nut like me you won't want to spend that kind of money for a couple soft metal combines. There is a guy on e-bay that is selling, what looks like, re-cast versions of the machine but the castings look very crude as does the paint (just search "combine" in the N scale category and wade through the endless passenger cars that come up to find them). The DPM combine could be modified into a decent model 55 with some work but the cab would need to be centered on the body.


Model 55

You may be able to do a half decent model of a 6600 JD combine using the 9500 from GHQ but it would involve moving the cab from the center to the side and cutting away alot of the metal body (the 6600 was quite a bit smaller than the 9500).


9500


6600

The 6600 was first introduced in the very late '60s... '69 or '71 maybe even '72 so it might be a little new for what you need.

Athearn has a model 7700 but it is in Horribly Oversized scale (HO) so they may come out with an N scale version in the future which is what I am waiting for.



I hope that helps!



Mike Maisonneuve
Modeling the Northern Alberta Railways' Peace River sibdivision in N scale
http://nscalenar.blogspot.ca/
Mike Maisonneuve
Modelling the Northern Alberta Railways' Peace River subdivision in N scale

sizemore

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2780
  • Respect: +146
Re: John Deere 9500 combine
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 09:03:25 AM »
0
Heh, didnt you give me some JD 9500 combines?

:D
The S.

Thompson Sub: Instagram | Youtube | Website

daniel_leavitt2000

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6444
  • Respect: +1427
Re: John Deere 9500 combine
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 09:31:26 AM »
0
I am pretty sure Athearn's JD lisence expired about 2-3 years ago.
American eyes, American eyes
View the world from American eyes
Bury the past, rob us blind
And leave nothing behind

CoalPorter

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 578
  • Respect: 0
Re: John Deere 9500 combine
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 11:33:51 AM »
0
I am pretty sure Athearn's JD lisence expired about 2-3 years ago.

How do you get one of those? I was going to do some custom decals for "foobee" JD boxcars
(but still cooler than what they do on there own). I was going to put 1930s JD logos on 40'
boxcars. I have done a few prototypes for me only, but can't sell  them in anyway and for shure
can't put em on ebay ;)
Positive Trading Post With JustTraincRaZy, Railhead, OldBillIndy, Freighttrain

Ike the BN Freak

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1639
  • Respect: +119
Re: John Deere 9500 combine
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 12:54:05 PM »
0
How do you get one of those? I was going to do some custom decals for "foobee" JD boxcars
(but still cooler than what they do on there own). I was going to put 1930s JD logos on 40'
boxcars. I have done a few prototypes for me only, but can't sell  them in anyway and for shure
can't put em on ebay ;)

If you are doing these decals for yourself only, with no plans of ever selling them, you DO NOT need to get a license for it.  Just get the image, and make decals.

RockGp40

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1067
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +344
8060
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 03:17:02 PM »
0
Anybody do the 8060 in N scale? Now that is one bad a** looking tractor.  :)
No farms, no food. Support your local farmer's market!

I stand with Israel.

wcfn100

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 8947
  • Respect: +1383
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: John Deere 9500 combine
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 03:59:42 PM »
0
I am pretty sure Athearn's JD lisence expired about 2-3 years ago.

Maybe longer.  It really sucked that they didn't get to the 4020 like they did in HO, I need 40-50 of those.


Jason

peteski

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 35319
  • Gender: Male
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +6660
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: John Deere 9500 combine
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 10:28:11 PM »
0
I can confirm that Athearn will not be making any more John Deere models.
When I contacted them few months back asking when they will re-release N scale John Deere tractors (as they fetch outrageous prices on eBay), then said that the have no plans of ever re-releasing them.   I'm pretty sure this is due to the trademark licensing.
. . . 42 . . .

sirenwerks

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6037
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +510
Re: John Deere 9500 combine
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 11:37:39 PM »
0
Heh, didnt you give me some JD 9500 combines?

:D
The S.

I still have more.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

sizemore

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2780
  • Respect: +146
Re: John Deere 9500 combine
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 11:40:49 PM »
0

Thompson Sub: Instagram | Youtube | Website