Author Topic: Looking for sd70  (Read 4561 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

nscalemike

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 400
  • Respect: +13
Looking for sd70
« on: June 15, 2011, 05:20:04 AM »
0
I'm looking to bulk up my locomotive roster a bit.  Does anyone make an IC type sd70?  Looking for something like this:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2547711

If not, any thoughts on a good starting point to model one or two, or six?

Thanks,
Mike

lock4244

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4586
  • Respect: +886
    • My train pics
Re: Looking for sd70
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 08:34:13 AM »
0
Not made RTR in N outside of brass.

Athearn SD70I would be a logical place to start (shell wise) as it gets you the long hood for an SD70. I'd prefer the Kato mech. The IC SD70's were built long before the SD75 became the SD70 (i.e. 4300 HP) and the CN SD70I, also rated at 4000 HP has what appears to be the same long hood.

sundowner

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1266
  • Respect: +148
Re: Looking for sd70
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 03:21:18 PM »
0
steve4painting did some using the front of a Kato Mid-Pro SD40-2 and the rear of a straight radiator Kato SD70M.
Which ever side of the track I am on is the right side.

nscalemike

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 400
  • Respect: +13
Re: Looking for sd70
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 03:40:51 PM »
0
Today I found pics of the ones steve4painting did, very nice.  I think that is the route I'm going to go as well.  Can you get replacement kato shells, specifically the sd40-2?  My budget does not allow me to buy two $100 locos to only end up with one!

nscalesteve

  • Guest
Re: Looking for sd70
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 05:57:06 PM »
0
Today I found pics of the ones steve4painting did, very nice.  I think that is the route I'm going to go as well.  Can you get replacement kato shells, specifically the sd40-2?  My budget does not allow me to buy two $100 locos to only end up with one!

Mike, you could try to build them out of an Athearn SD70 and some Atlas GP40-2 parts (nose, cab). for the latest two I did build I used the newer Kato SD40-2 shells and undecorated SD70M shells from the Kato spare part departement (unfortunately no longer available and to find a CSX or SP SD70 on eBay is nearly impossible) plus a Kato C44-9/AC4400/SD70MAC drive with Kato SD70M trucks.




sd75i

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 290
  • Respect: +16
Re: Looking for sd70
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 03:32:50 PM »
0
    Steve, those are very nice.  Did you happen to do any CR?  Thanks for the pics.


 dave

nscalesteve

  • Guest
Re: Looking for sd70
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 03:00:35 AM »
0
    Steve, those are very nice.  Did you happen to do any CR?  Thanks for the pics.


 dave

thank you Dave, no I didn't paint any CR ones...

mdeberg

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: 0
Re: Looking for sd70
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 09:00:58 AM »
0
Mike, Being the owner of these two beauties from Steve I can say his work is top notch as I am sure you can tell from the photos how much effort he puts into ensuring his work is of the highest quality and most accurate models available.       ;D




Thank you,
Mike DeBerg

nscalemike

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 400
  • Respect: +13
Re: Looking for sd70
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 10:38:50 AM »
0
Mike, Being the owner of these two beauties from Steve I can say his work is top notch as I am sure you can tell from the photos how much effort he puts into ensuring his work is of the highest quality and most accurate models available.       ;D

I agree, Steve is a very skilled and talented modeler.  Those are two of the sharpest looking engines I've seen and bet they look great working together on a long freight!

conrailthomas519

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 343
  • Gender: Male
  • BNSF / Montana Rail Link
  • Respect: +13
Re: Looking for sd70
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 07:23:40 PM »
0
I could use a similar model to fill the missing void in my own Norfolk Southern / Conrail SD75 roster. With any hope I wont have to scratch build them..;)
TMM

Mark5

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 11878
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +943
Re: Looking for sd70
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 08:05:44 PM »
0
Athearn did them in HO, but I doubt if they'll do them in N. I would love to have a couple as these seem to be the last standard cab units built.