Author Topic: Latest and greatest N Scale paper models  (Read 5124 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Philip H

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9028
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1796
    • Layout Progress Blog
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.


TiVoPrince

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 5156
  • Respect: +4
    • http://www.technologywrangler.com
Re: Latest and greatest N Scale paper models
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 07:06:22 PM »
0
Intrigued 
by the US outline streets and sidewalks.  Container crane and other upcoming stuff could be impressive, and seriously expensive...
Support fine modeling

Philip H

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9028
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1796
    • Layout Progress Blog
Re: Latest and greatest N Scale paper models
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 10:00:10 PM »
0
I've used the US streets - good representations of two lane roads, intersections, etc.  Sidewalks only work in older downtown sections of a city.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.


TiVoPrince

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 5156
  • Respect: +4
    • http://www.technologywrangler.com
Re: Latest and greatest N Scale paper models
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 02:48:25 PM »
0
Iinterested  
if there are options to place/edit before printing, or if it is all physiical cut-paste.  Certainly depends on the file format they are delivered in.  I'm thinking about the painted corregated siding too, but I would hope to add a secondary colour tint and cutting guides using Corel Draw...

Ship is so cool, but I need a really big modern container ship...
Support fine modeling

Philip H

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9028
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1796
    • Layout Progress Blog
Re: Latest and greatest N Scale paper models
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 04:13:09 PM »
0
Files are delivered as PDFs so reformatting may be limited.  I have adjusted print scale to get wider roads, but that also gives wider stripes.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.


pnolan48

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1754
  • Respect: +136
Re: Latest and greatest N Scale paper models
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 05:54:18 PM »
0
I too am seriously interested. I'm working on transferring two ships, a destroyer and a cutter, into digital form and then cutting them out of styrene. They are going quite well in terms of fitting things together, and are being delayed only by my travel schedule. I know the hulls work, but are a lot of work to assemble. The superstructure is much easier.

If this works out, I'll transfer one of the bigger freighters (perhaps 500 feet long or just barely C-3 size) and then maybe work on a C-4 modern container ship of maybe 700 feet. I'm afraid C-4 might just be too big--although some modern container ships have exceeded 1000 feet, IIRC.

TiVoPrince

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 5156
  • Respect: +4
    • http://www.technologywrangler.com
Re: Latest and greatest N Scale paper models
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 07:53:04 PM »
0
If this works out, I'll transfer one of the bigger freighters (perhaps 500 feet long or just barely C-3 size) and then maybe work on a C-4 modern container ship of maybe 700 feet. I'm afraid C-4 might just be too big--although some modern container ships have exceeded 1000 feet, IIRC.

Panamax 
'Bay class' is 958feet long.  While 'Emma Maersk' and others exceed 1300 feet.  Below that you will find feeders similar to the one found on ebay any day of the week.  IF you get get to a ~1000 footer, let me know so I can sedate Mr. Wallet in advance...
Support fine modeling

TiVoPrince

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 5156
  • Respect: +4
    • http://www.technologywrangler.com
Re: Latest and greatest N Scale paper models
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 05:13:42 PM »
0
Lusting 
after this in waterline, maybe even sliced in half up against a backdrop.  Unfortunately $8,000.00US price tag simply leaves Mr. Wallet unreceptive...

http://cgi.ebay.com/MAERSK-VIRGINIA-SCALE-1-200-4FT-ITS-BIGGGG-/370523213968?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5644e79090
Support fine modeling

pnolan48

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1754
  • Respect: +136
Re: Latest and greatest N Scale paper models
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 07:15:52 PM »
0
Way too much at $8000. Probably made by Rich Creations, an architectural modeling firm in Hong Kong. From what I can see, the railings are Plastruct, which means the superstructure is also. Rich Creations makes some fine models, but this is a fairly simple ship with few details. Some of their other work is precise, but I question the accuracy.

Fine Art Models in Michigan produces far superior models for about the same cost, or maybe lesser. Fine Art Model's ships are actually made in Latvia, and there are some fine Russian models of more complicated ships available at about $1500.