Author Topic: locomotive lighting practice for Amtrak f40PH  (Read 3904 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

cgw

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 193
  • Respect: +42
locomotive lighting practice for Amtrak f40PH
« on: June 01, 2011, 10:35:12 AM »
0
Ok folks;
A couple of quick questions on the prototype  locomotive lighting specifically Amtrak F40PH units.  I am trying to add separate lighting circuits to several Kato f40ph models that I have.  Planning on using nano-LED’s, 6 function decoders and some bailing wire to hold it together.   

When the locomotives are operating in a consist,  were all the number boards  illuminated?  Or is it just the lead unit?   

Does the head lamp have different brightness settings   dim, high etc what were the rules for changing the brightness?

When does the center Red head lamp, come on.  (center light between the number boards)

And last but not least are the strobes on the roof top in sync or do they flash alternatively    and what rate do they strobe.   When were the strobe lights on.    At crossings , in cities, at stations?
Any help is appreciated

Thanks
Stu

Dupesy

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 542
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +36
Re: locomotive lighting practice for Amtrak f40PH
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 12:33:43 PM »
0
numberboards should be lit only on the leading locomotive, at least per NORAC operating rules.

Headlights have dim/bright settings.  Headlights must always be on bright except when meeting other trains, then may be dimmed, but not extinguished completely.

I believe the red center lamp (its actually a strobe, I think) activates when an emergency application of the brakes is made.

The strobes on the roof flash whenever the bell is rung.  They appear to flash randomly to each other.
dumb ways to die, so many dumb ways to die

Bendtracker1

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1546
  • Remember The Rock!
  • Respect: +1647
    • The Little Rock Line
Re: locomotive lighting practice for Amtrak f40PH
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 03:16:39 PM »
0
The strobes on the roof flash whenever the bell is rung.  They appear to flash randomly to each other.

CGW & Dupsey,
I beg to differ on the strobes.
On the F40's that would pull the Cal Zephyr [at least the ones I've always seen], the two strobes on the roof would flash in unison ALL the time with a single flash per cycle.

Like this:  http://youtu.be/fLJqzYbWxkk

Now this one shows a F40 with Ditch Lights. It looks as if the strobes do flash oppositely and, the ditch lights start to flash when the horn is activated.  Similar to the way BN started using their ditch lights as flashers when they would activate their horns at crossings: 

http://youtu.be/qvhuNqp01do

Here's one that shows the RED flasher working, the strobes are NOT in sync and the ditch lights begins to flash with the horn: http://youtu.be/Ceuju9gUk3Y
   
Guess it would depend on what era and which version that you want to model.
Hope this helps,
Allen...


Dupesy

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 542
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +36
Re: locomotive lighting practice for Amtrak f40PH
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 08:57:20 PM »
0
Allen, I'd say you're right, it depends on the era.  The only ones I'm familiar with are current ones that are NPCUs (aka cabbage cars).  I can double-check with an Amtrak engineer at work.  I'd say I'm off regarding the red strobe, as one of those vids shows it flashing while the train is moving.  Hmmm....
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 08:59:16 PM by Dupesy »
dumb ways to die, so many dumb ways to die

TiVoPrince

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 5156
  • Respect: +4
    • http://www.technologywrangler.com
Re: locomotive lighting practice for Amtrak f40PH
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 09:19:17 PM »
0
Red  
light is a mars light.  Similar to SP practice the red light is used as a rear marker...
Support fine modeling

Ian MacMillan

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12034
  • Gender: Male
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +167
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
Re: locomotive lighting practice for Amtrak f40PH
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 11:13:37 PM »
0
Allen, I'd say you're right, it depends on the era.  The only ones I'm familiar with are current ones that are NPCUs (aka cabbage cars).  I can double-check with an Amtrak engineer at work.  I'd say I'm off regarding the red strobe, as one of those vids shows it flashing while the train is moving.  Hmmm....

Right on.
Id say depends on the servicing and strobe pack used. Most installations were Whelen or Federal Signal White Xeon 6" Strobes. I have seen F40PHs where both of the strobes flashed at the same time and like Dupes said here in the Northeast I have seen them flash where they were not in sync and random.  The strobes flash at the same time in sync when both strobes are attached to the same strobe pack, and they are not in sync and random when the strobes are set up so each one has its own strobe pack (its not like LED installations where you have a SYNC wire).

When I took the Lake Shore Limited in the late '90s the strobes were on all the time. With the Downeasters now they go on when the bell does.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

Dupesy

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 542
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +36
Re: locomotive lighting practice for Amtrak f40PH
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 05:28:02 PM »
0
I'm trying to find out what the red strobe is for (they are strobes now) but it is definitely not used as a marker.
dumb ways to die, so many dumb ways to die