Author Topic: A reminder how far we have come  (Read 1854 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

daniel_leavitt2000

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6444
  • Respect: +1427
A reminder how far we have come
« on: April 10, 2011, 07:19:10 AM »
0
OK, my LHS is Ken's Trains, one of the dozen or so N-Scale only model train stores in the US. Ken is a great guy and the shop has been in the same shopping plaza for over 20 years. Ken started out with a mail order business for several years before getting a physical store. His first store popped up in 89 or 90 I think.

When I was 13, my mother and I stubled on the shop. At the time, it was located in the attic of an old mill (the name of the plaza is Mill Village). That shop and the building eventually burned to the ground but Ken rebuilt the shop in the same place.

The old shop was a lot of fun. It was always very clean but got hot in the summer. Ken has always been very organized, so there was never the "dumpster diving" you get at some shops looking for old, out of production items lurking at the bottom of some neglected box. Everything had its place, from consignment items to the awesome loco cabinate.

One of the rear walls was dedicated to vehicles. There was a dedicated area for Wiking and other Euro imports (including some MZZ stuff), and a large section dedicated to Burt Industries.

Does anyone else remember Burt? Man what a trip. These were some of the first resin vehicle kits in N scale, long before Cast-N-Works or Road Apples/Lineside/JNJ. The kits usually came pre-painted, but the painting was as good as the casting. These models were just awful. I totally forgot how bad these were until I saw this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/130465490453

These were some of the few vehicles I boycotted and I think the inventory lasted until the first store burned to the ground. Bad vehicles to be sure, but the memory of the fist shop was great.

Looking at my draw full of Athearn Mack trucks, who knew how far we would go in 20 years?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 07:22:31 AM by daniel_leavitt2000 »
American eyes, American eyes
View the world from American eyes
Bury the past, rob us blind
And leave nothing behind

wm3798

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 16564
  • Gender: Male
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +7455
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: A reminder how far we have come
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 07:45:29 AM »
0
I remember visiting Ken's Trains when he was in the Mill.  We were in Massachusetts for Thanksgiving.  What a treasure trove!

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Ed Kapuscinski

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 26112
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +11612
    • Conrail 1285
Re: A reminder how far we have come
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 10:26:47 AM »
0
I still have some of the Burt Industries stuff. Tanks: he did some decent stuff there.

pnolan48

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1754
  • Respect: +136
Re: A reminder how far we have come
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 10:54:04 AM »
0
I bought my first Con-Cor PA-1s (2nd version) there, and my first Peco switches. I don't remember the time frame, but it was early, perhaps even before 1980. I can't remember if they were for my layout in Marlboro (pre-1980) or Southboro (1980-1991). Great shop back then! I think it was heavily but not exclusively N sale back then. I do remember the rather wonky layout of Mill Village, and the lack of parking, as I was dealing with baby strollers, and my kids are now 33 and 37.

Brakie

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 637
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +4
Re: A reminder how far we have come
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 11:37:23 AM »
0
Indeed we have come a very long way.

Every time I compare the old Atlas GP9 and the Arnold GP9 with the new Atlas GP9 I can only reflect back and wonder how we kept  N Scale alive...

Of course its good to see the older Atlas cars still available as Trainman and of course MT gave us the best cars on the market back in the day.

While I need not "preach to the choir" I will state N Scale is getting better by the year and some cars and locomotives match their HO counter parts..

Larry

Summerset Ry.

Nato

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2302
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +162
Re: A reminder how far we have come
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 03:01:35 AM »
0
            Yes we sure have come along way,as someone who started out with Lone Star Trebel O and Arnold Rapido in 1964 I must agree. Most of the Army Vehicles on my military flat cars and some of the circus wagons on my Col. Carstens Circus Train are from Burt Industries. He lived in Florida.                    Nate Goodman (Nato).