Author Topic: Oddball Kato Part Help - AC4400  (Read 1386 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

ljudice

  • Guest
Oddball Kato Part Help - AC4400
« on: August 03, 2010, 10:44:26 PM »
0
Some time ago I picked up a Kato Ac4400CW in CSXT paint on Fleabay - the rear platform
handrail piece was broken - but frankly I got it for a great price and didn't care. I started
fixing it today and realized a small problem.

The rear platform of the AC4400 is two pieces - the floor at the top of the steps - and the handrails. And it doesn't appear as if Kato lists a wide handrail replacement part - only sets for blue (CEFX), green (BNSF), Gray (UP) and red (CP) - which are all narrow handrail.

It's no big issue - I've already replaced the part with a narrow one I had - and could probably fashion a complete wide one from C44-9W parts - but I'm just curious if anyone knows if Kato ever had parts for the 3 vent body???


sundowner

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1266
  • Respect: +148
Re: Oddball Kato Part Help - AC4400
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 06:38:57 PM »
0
Kato has never put the long hood or handrails for the CSX AC4400 on there parts store but could have them if you call and ask. I think the new -9 handrails will fit and maybe the upcomming GEVO.
Which ever side of the track I am on is the right side.

ljudice

  • Guest
Re: Oddball Kato Part Help - AC4400
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 07:12:03 PM »
0
Thanks - it's worth a try to call them...

You think they may do another AC4400 run?  Funny thing is, the CP's from the first run seem much easier to find on Ebay, etc... than CSX...

The AC4400 w/steerable trucks in "Bright Future" is still probably the most common single loco/paintscheme on CSX (ES44DC's may be more numerous, I must admit)...


sundowner

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1266
  • Respect: +148
Re: Oddball Kato Part Help - AC4400
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 08:01:40 PM »
0
Could happen now that they have the trucks for most of them. CSX has 174 like the ones Kato already did with the Hi-Ad truck but CSX has over 350 AC44 with steerable trucks.And since Kato just did a steerable truck for the CP AC44's and the new CP and CSX GEVO's, anything could happen. But only 101 unit could used the cab that Kato did as is. For the other 250+ units they would need new cab because of the way the battery and inverter doors are molded into the cab. I also see them doing the YN3 scheme that starting to show up on the older AC44.
The reason they are hard to find is because of people like me who but like 20 of them and are not willing to part with them and the run was small. I can still find the undec, UP and CNW units that were release at the same time and my LHS though.
Which ever side of the track I am on is the right side.