Author Topic: FUD Noob Needs Advice on Rendering Error  (Read 1012 times)

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2293
FUD Noob Needs Advice on Rendering Error
« on: January 25, 2014, 10:51:38 PM »
OK... this is my first time with Shapeways FUD. It came out of the Bestine soak today and now that the process wax is off, it clearly has a problem:

Aside from the brutally obvious fix of sanding or carving off the artifacts, this seems to me to be a processing or rendering error worthy of a re-do. It's certainly not the artwork, as the identical features on the other end are fine. However, I can't remove it without obliterating details. Will Shapeways rerun output for errors like this or am I on my own?

3rdboxcar

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
    • Boxcar models [my shapeweays shop]
Re: FUD Noob Needs Advice on Rendering Error
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 04:47:33 AM »
Hi

What you have got is one of the problems of FUD, where you have a flat surface with objects sticking out lke the headlights and handrails you can get an artefact of support material. This is the worst I have seen though, I have had models printed that have handrails and there has been no support material deposited.

Have you rounded the handrails as I have found this seems to lessen or eliminate the support material for some reason.

C855B

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 10:58:15 AM »
Thanks, good to know. What's weird is it only happened on the one end of both shells.

It turned out that this support "fuzz" is soft, much softer than I expected. I could scrub most of it off with a good brushing. There's still enough of a footprint, however, to obscure the details at the bottom. Might need a few minutes of X-Acto time to freshen the panel lines. I was thinking about slicing off the grab-iron ladder, anyway, in favor of individual wire grabs, so this is an opportunity for a little light sanding.

Oh... let me clarify... this is not my artwork. I am in correspondence with the fellow who did it, however.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 10:59:51 AM by C855B »

C855B

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 07:26:15 PM »
HERE'S a new and different twist... I sent that picture link to Shapeways, and they volunteered to re-run and ship at no additional cost to me. Since they're paying attention to the output quality this time around, I'm very curious about how different/better the end results are going to be. Might be an eye-opener.

And, of course, a tip o' the hat for their being so willing with the do-over. Now that's customer service!

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1133
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 07:37:59 PM »
Since they're paying attention to the output quality this time around, I'm very curious about how different/better the end results are going to be. Might be an eye-opener.

Maybe they'll just say it's not renderable.  :trollface:

I'll be interested as well.  A couple items I have on SW suffer similar issues due to (what I'll call) 'ledging' type details.  I've found a flat screwdriver with a more squared off blade( rather than sharp) does a good job of scraping the fuzz.

Jason

3rdboxcar

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
    • Boxcar models [my shapeweays shop]
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 04:44:46 AM »
HERE'S a new and different twist... I sent that picture link to Shapeways, and they volunteered to re-run and ship at no additional cost to me. Since they're paying attention to the output quality this time around, I'm very curious about how different/better the end results are going to be. Might be an eye-opener.

And, of course, a tip o' the hat for their being so willing with the do-over. Now that's customer service!

That is one thing they are good at, if there is a problem with a printed model - no questions they just re run it. hey printed some trucks for me in WSF when it should have been BSF - they were going to reprint it when I said not ot bother as I would just paint them - full refund.