Author Topic: Visio Templates  (Read 2024 times)

dclyde

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
Visio Templates
« on: June 12, 2008, 08:32:26 AM »
Does anyone know of any place that may offer Visio Templates that accomodate NTrak standards?

Thanks,
Dave

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2934
Re: Visio Templates
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 09:43:52 AM »
No .. but Xtrakcad does

seusscaboose

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +190
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 11:21:07 AM »
good question !!!
"I have a train full of basements"

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:
http://nkphts.org/modelersnotebook

asciibaron

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
    • Steve's Happy Fun Time IntarWebs
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 02:23:04 PM »
they aren't too difficult to make...

you are looking for standard sizes of modules to do a show plan with, right?

-Steve
Quote from: Chris333
How long will it be before they show us how to add DCC to a tree?

dclyde

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 03:57:04 PM »
Yep, I'd like to make a template for every module in BANTRAK's inventory.  Sort of a poor man's cad so I won't have to pester Mark to do it.

Dave

seusscaboose

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 08:48:27 AM »
can you take the autocad stuff INTO visio to use?  after all.. his plans are pretty much spot on....

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:

dclyde

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 10:04:21 AM »
I don't think so, I believe everyone uses different formats.

I have had SOME success starting with a desk template and modifying it to the demensions of a module.  I'm looking into somethng along that line and storing it as a custom template.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Dave

mmyers

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +47
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2008, 07:32:45 PM »
Mark scans jpegs in, scales the photo, then draws over it. At least that's what he told me he did. That's why Al was shooting all of those overhead photos last year to update the records.
There are also two binders with the drawings in them. Skip had one, not sure where the second one is.

For my plans, I drew up a POFF, 3foot corner, 6 foot module, etc. using CADRAIL. When I plan a layout, I just copy as many as needed, then start laying them out. When it's done, I export the plan as a jpeg. I have to remember the track config. on the special modules to make sure the right ones get together.

Martin

dclyde

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2008, 07:48:57 PM »
In Visio you can label a template.  As such, I thought about starting with a clean template as a modified desk to a specific module size.  I would probably then label it with the information for a specific module and then save it as a custom template.  Then I can recall them individually as necessary for planning purposes.

I think that will work.  I'm still playing with it all.

Dave

seusscaboose

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2008, 09:57:08 AM »
thinking one step ahead... wouldnt it make sense to electronically store the files (jpegs, autocad, etc.) on the forum to any Member who is coordinating a show can have acceess to the drawings and simply download them into his own personal desktop for use?

Why continue to have hard copy (outdated) and soft copy (multiple people working in parrallel paths) versions of modules when we could simply keep an up to date library on the web.

it would give the website another useful purpose as a central repositiory of info.... after all.. you could make a library or you could profile each module and have the file right their on the page for Click and Save options....

even if Martin and Mark and Dave and Skip all have the drawings.. that still just means other Members still need to "request" assistance from them to get a track plan for distribution....

Pool the resources and roll out for the Club to use.... 1) upgrade our flexibility and 2) streamline our resources.

When someone ask's do we have drawings of modules we should say "yes, in the library on the web".. that way everyone is self contained for each show.

EP

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:

dclyde

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2008, 01:26:11 PM »
I don't have any probems with that and based on Mark's reply to me during the last Timonium show, I don't think he'd have any problems with it either (of course, the decision is his as it pertains to his work).

Dave

TiVoPrince

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
    • http://www.technologywrangler.com
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2008, 06:33:17 PM »
Best
use I ever saw was a local modular group that applied module trackplans to Lego(R) blocks.  One 'nub' equalled two actual feet and easy to configure for any availablle space.  Seiously easy to use, without the need to carry/depend on technology at the setup.  Changes on the fly were easy as setting up a card table and conveneing the brain trust to make last minute decisions.  Downside was the strong attraction for children to play with layout design before setup was complete...
Support fine modeling