Author Topic: Weekend Update 4/28/24  (Read 3219 times)

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3575
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
Re: Weekend Update 4/28/24
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2024, 01:25:39 AM »
+15
No modelling time for me of late due to busy-ness at work, but I did manage to sneak in an op session last night, one of two shakedown sessions scheduled prior to hosting a layout tour and op session for the PNR 2024 Convention here in May.  The layout hadnt run since February so it was needed.

Prior to my session, Doug Davies (BCR 751) ran a facsimile of my Vancouver-Peace freight over his layout from Prince George to Chetwynd (the subdivision which adjoins the one I am modelling).

Crossing the Pine River #1 on Doug's layout:

Arriving in Chetwynd on Doug's layout:

The VP Freight comes to a stop at the north end of the yard in Chetwynd on my layout.  The slash burner for the Canfor mill is visible on both layouts:

NAR Train 51 enters the yard at Dawson Creek with interchange tonnage for the BCR:

The Prince George Auxiliary returned from the Fort St. John Subdivision with a derailed hopper car.  It will stop at Bond to pick up the two coaches:

The eastbound Dawson Creek Switcher met a westbound empty ballast train at Tremblay:

The ballast train was en route to the gravel pit at Sundance for loading:

One goal of this session was to send much of the work equipment off the layout.  RS-10 581 was tasked with taking the snow plow and flanger south to Prince George for summer storage:

M-630s 717 and 708 were waiting to take the PV Freight south to Prince George, which Doug will run over his layout.

Tim

T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1336
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2024, 02:07:51 AM »
That first picture, Pine River #1:  Is that a prototype laminated wood bridge?  I've heard of them for roads, but have never seen one in person.
N Kalanaga
Be well

SP-Wolf

• Crew
  • Respect: +1865
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2024, 10:38:01 AM »
+20
A couple of projects in the can,

This was a long over due project. (On my workbench for a few years - )
AT&SF NW2

The first two AT&SF H16-44's (I have two more to do)

Thanks,
Wolf
« Last Edit: April 28, 2024, 10:39:55 AM by SP-Wolf »

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3575
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2024, 11:12:38 AM »
+3
That first picture, Pine River #1:  Is that a prototype laminated wood bridge?  I've heard of them for roads, but have never seen one in person.

Yes, the British Columbia Railway was a proponent of glulam spans (glued/laminated) and had a number of them on the system.  The one Doug has modelled spans the Pine River on the Chetwynd Subdivision.  The railway crosses the Pine River four times: three on the Chetwynd Sub and one on the Dawson Creek Sub.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

chuck geiger

• Crew
  • Las Piedras Railroad - Destination Desert
  • Respect: +2500
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2024, 12:09:48 PM »
+1
Finished up the lighting on the west side as far as I have lights for. More LED and light towers on the way. I feel I need to light the aggregate area by the waterfront and by the scrapyard (later). Going to add some red lights for the bridge and the corners of the channel entrance.

All of the structures in front of the elevated line are held in place with magnets, and electrically detachable from above, and the background structures are removeable and detachable as well.

I found this great 3.5v power plug to power all of the lighting on the layout except the fire flicker LED in the engine house. It’s from a long Christmas light string of resin coated 0402 LED.

But for now, here’s the night scenes:

Wow!

Diesel fuel tank for the 44 toner, for outside the engine house between the stalls. Walthers leftover, painted with Rustoleum Galvanized paint. Folded 0.015” wire for the nozzle, TCS black decoder wire insulation for hose, pushed over the wire spout and nozzle end.

Chuck Geiger
provencountrypd@gmail.com

altohorn25

• Crew
  • Respect: +3391
    • Mini Mod u Trak
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2024, 01:56:47 PM »
+17
I weathered the B&O passenger cars that I've been working on to go with the E8's.  These are NOT B&O prototypes (Kato smoothside sets - mostly UP and SP prototypes....), but anyways.......  I changed the roof color from the incorrect factory grey color to the correct flat black before I weathered them.  I also added a Rapido baggage car to the consist.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Here are the heavyweight cars to go with the Broadway Limited Imports 4-6-2 light Pacific.

These are all factory painted Micro Trains cars.  I swapped out the factory couplers to Z scale 905 couplers and replaced the plastic wheels with Eastern Seaboard Models 36" metal wheels.  I also added a Rapido vestibule gate to the rear of the Pullman sleeper.  I weathered all these cars this morning.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: April 28, 2024, 02:04:58 PM by altohorn25 »
Nate Pierce
Modutrak - Wisconsin Division
www.modutrak.com

ATSF_Ron

• Crew
  • Respect: +191
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2024, 03:25:55 PM »
@SP-Wolf, I really dig the sunshades!  Please share how you did that.  What material did you use?  My guess is some very thin paper.  Thanks!

SP-Wolf

• Crew
  • Respect: +1865
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2024, 04:01:43 PM »
+2
@SP-Wolf, I really dig the sunshades!  Please share how you did that.  What material did you use?  My guess is some very thin paper.  Thanks!

@ATSF_Ron
Thank you!!
I used the foil from a Sprouts Grocery Store dark chocolate bar.

Thanks,
Wolf

eja

• Crew
  • Respect: +204
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2024, 04:15:47 PM »
+2

A used and dried tea bag makes a good weathered cloth sunshade too.

ATSF_Ron

• Crew
  • Respect: +191
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2024, 06:39:21 PM »
+1
SP Wolf, I’m VERY familiar with the Sprouts chocolate bars! 😁 Thanks for the tip.

eja, I’ll have to try the dried tea bag as well and see which one I like better. Thanks!

chessie system fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +446
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2024, 07:16:38 PM »
+1
Those Kato B&O cars are inaccurate stand-ins, but I learned recently that the coaches are less inaccurate than I originally thought. B&O leased several UP 14-section sleepers for use on the National Limited for a while.  I've only found one photo of one and it's in B&O paint with a UP font. The windows are different between the 14-section sleeper and the coach, but it's not by much!
Aaron Bearden

packers#1

• Crew
  • Modern Shortline Modeler
  • Respect: +506
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2024, 09:28:41 PM »
+11
Finished the other side of my WSOR boxcar; I’m not as happy with this side, I’m not really a fan of the India ink and alcohol wash. Next time I’m going to try oil paints and mineral spirits to do a wash instead, I’ve found it to be much more controllable and much easier to control the intensity of. I think I saved this but it’s still not quite as good as the first side.

As to what I’m doing, I’m building a new switching layout in HO. Currently planning on doing two spurs and a run-around. The idea is this is the end of a small branch off a main shortline branch set somewhere in South Carolina. The back spur with the Geep and NS boxcar is going to be a 4 spot transload, 3 doors and a small gravel area in the back. The blue boxcar is on the main, and the tank car is on the passing siding. To the left is an area that will have a second spur eventually. I think I’m going to play around with removable buildings so that the left area can be either an oil cleaning area a la Safety Kleen, or a lumberyard etc, while the back spur will be able to be a box plant/steel distribution center or any other warehouse type. Essentially get to keep building different models and a full car fleet over time.

Sawyer Berry
Clemson University graduate, c/o 2018
American manufacturing isn’t dead, it’s just gotten high tech

jpwisc

• Crew
  • Respect: +1970
    • Skally Line Blog
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2024, 10:04:20 PM »
+14
Started work on building Pueblo Union Depot for a friend
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Karl
CEO of the WC White Pine Sub, an Upper Peninsula Branch Line.

brokemoto

• Crew
  • Respect: +190
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2024, 10:20:54 PM »
+6

Has anyone ever seen on of these?  I saw it at the Timonium show to-day.  The price was pretty good.Never had I seen one.  I bought it.  It says "Sekisui" on the bottom which makes it a C-C..  It ain't no bash.  It appears to have come this way.  I can not find anything about it on Spookshow's website.  Does anyone here know anything about it?

« Last Edit: April 28, 2024, 10:31:56 PM by brokemoto »

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2024, 10:54:23 PM »
I’ve seen the original BW model.
I think someone definitely added that cupola.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA