Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
N and Z Scales / Re: Chicago Crossing
« Last post by ChicagoCrossingMRR on Today at 10:06:46 AM »
@basementcalling thank you Peter!

@Ed Kapuscinski hilarious - I hope that's one of the taglines that pops up on the left side of the page.

Unfortunately I won't be out for the convention given a bunch of travel obligations for work. Looks like it'll be a blast though.

Eric
DCC / Electronics / Re: Atlas GP38 with Intermittent DCC Troubles
« Last post by peteski on Today at 08:54:20 AM »
Both locos ran on their respective test loops, without incident, for a good 90 minutes straight yesterday (May 15).  This morning, I turned them around so they could accumulate some time, running forwards, in the opposite direction (just because!).

The loco with the suspect decoder immediately emitted that high pitched buzzing sound as the NCE was trying to boot up.  I say “trying”, because it twice shut down and rebooted as per short circuit detection.  As it was rebooting the 3rd time, I flicked the motor and all was good. 

Both locos are again doing test oval loops.  I’m going to order a new 58751 board.

Sounds like that will be the solution. Any chance you could sent the decoder to ESU for repair/exchange?  It would be less expensive than a new decoder.  The problem could be proving to ESU that the decoder misbehaves intermittently, although you do have a video showing the problem (and this entire troubleshooting thread here you could point them to).
interesting how the counter weights are all on one side of the depressed center car.
I used stainless steel wire for the handrails on my Piggy Packer kit by N Scale of Nevada back in day. The kit was the first craftsman kit that I successfully built. Harder to solder stainless steel yes, but nearly indestructible when assembled.

What's your method/material for soldering stainless steel?

I've been using Tichy's 0.008" - 0.015" phosphor bronze wire for years, but I'd use stainless if it's not a terrible PITA to solder.  Never tried it.

Jeff
I used stainless steel wire for the handrails on my Piggy Packer kit by N Scale of Nevada back in day. The kit was the first craftsman kit that I successfully built. Harder to solder stainless steel yes, but nearly indestructible when assembled.
Pointe-Claire, QC May 4,2024

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Both locos ran on their respective test loops, without incident, for a good 90 minutes straight yesterday (May 15).  This morning, I turned them around so they could accumulate some time, running forwards, in the opposite direction (just because!).

The loco with the suspect decoder immediately emitted that high pitched buzzing sound as the NCE was trying to boot up.  I say “trying”, because it twice shut down and rebooted as per short circuit detection.  As it was rebooting the 3rd time, I flicked the motor and all was good. 

Both locos are again doing test oval loops.  I’m going to order a new 58751 board.
The .020 I’ve been using was something I found at an electronics shop a couple years ago, and was the thinnest material they stocked.  All this time, I didn’t know any better.

Picked up some .012 brass wire at the LHS yesterday (they didn’t have .010).  It is SO much better/easier to work with - game changer for me.  Thanks guys.

Brass wire is easy to solder, but one miscue and its mangled.

I prefer 0.008" Tichy Phosphor Bronze wire, or this lifetime supply of 0.008" stainless (harder to solder) wire from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-316L-0-20mm-0-008in/dp/B0CP2P451S

Don't be intimidated by the fact that it is on a roll.  It is very easy to straighten wire with a bench vise and a pair of vice grips.

Weekend before I fly down for my summer vacation. Oh well, gotta take the kids to some of the military museums in the area...along with the redneck rivera beaches
N and Z Scales / Re: Weekend Update 5/12/24
« Last post by Ed Kapuscinski on Today at 01:03:41 AM »
I remember when you bought this from Ken. You said you were gonna be good and not buy anything.  :lol:
Nice job and the blue horns are a nice touch too!

Lol, well I WAS going to be good, but one of these has been on the list for a long time.

I DIDmanage to avoid the U23b though, so I’ll consider that a partial victory.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10