Author Topic: Weekend Update 10/2/16  (Read 8293 times)

SP-Wolf

• Crew
  • Respect: +1870
Re: Weekend Update 10/2/16
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2016, 11:27:42 AM »
+4
Making progress on my river crossing. Phase one is complete. Bridges and trestle are set. First application of ground cover is done. Next- boulders, dead trees and other debris.

Thanks,
Wolf

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1954
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2016, 11:58:38 AM »
Wolf, that's going to be a fantastic scene! I like the way you used appropriate style and type bridges for a each application (which is oftentimes not the case). Very nice. The only challenge will be the highway bridge shadow...I wonder you can play with your lighting to minimize that shadow? Perhaps is a bit of subtle LED lighting from behind the bridge onto the backdrop? Wouldn't take much.
Agai, a great scene!
Otto K.

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1571
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2016, 12:03:20 PM »
They come like that from the factory! Glossy cabs and rubber-like tires.  :)

Actually, you're only partially correct.  The cab comes glossy and the tires dull, true. 
On this model, I took the cab, battery boxes and fuel tanks off of a RTR chassis and fit them to a "utility" chassis from Trainworx.
In this case it required drilling new holes in the frame to position the cab in a different location, allowing the room necessary ahead of the fixed position of the dump box.
I painted the battery boxes and fuel tanks Gloss Black, the dump box dark gray and made the dump box extensions look like wood.
Finally I put Dayton wheels on the rear.

Now I can use the RTR chassis for something else to utilize all of the other dozens of spare parts.  :D
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2016, 02:04:21 PM »
On this model, I took the cab, battery boxes and fuel tanks off of a RTR chassis and fit them to a "utility" chassis from Trainworx.
In this case it required drilling new holes in the frame to position the cab in a different location, allowing the room necessary ahead of the fixed position of the dump box.
I painted the battery boxes and fuel tanks Gloss Black, the dump box dark gray and made the dump box extensions look like wood.

Hmm... that sounds too
much like work to me...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

bman

• Crew
  • I gotta have more Conrail!
  • Respect: +160
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2016, 02:05:30 PM »
Finished up a custom build of my resin Whitcomb kit of the 1944 ex-US ARMY Whitcomb that worked for many years at American Aggregates and was later donated to the Hocking Valley Scenic Railroad.   This is that Aggregates paint scheme, that I'm told, was done with spray cans of Rustoleum.    Customers father ran the locomotive.

Prototype:  http://www.davedupler.com/hvsry/HV711_0201b.jpg

The odd silver boxes on the end appear to be DIY replacement sandboxes, it was obviously repowered and the radiators moved to the ends, which would have taken out the stock sandboxes.

Model build: 

This is equipped with my favorite drive of a Kato 12V 11-105 motor mated up with a Gizmoszone 5.14:1 gearhead, quiet, smooth, and slow.

I 'think' the Whitcomb is still out at the HVSR somewhere, repainted blue.   If anybody has seen it in the last couple years, let me know.

Last time I was at the Hocking Valley was a couple of summers ago helping paint one of the cabooses.  This loco was still there and is indeed painted C&O blue.  I've no info that it has left but I'll double check next time I'm trackside with the train watching crew and advise if it has.

bman

• Crew
  • I gotta have more Conrail!
  • Respect: +160
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2016, 02:10:51 PM »

Never thought I'd ever read where someone actually did this in this day and age.  I couldn't stand working with those back in the day. 
seriously though, those look great.  There's been a lot of cool things being done with the truck parts from Trainworx.  I've yet to dive into mix yet and order some parts.  I may want to retire someday.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1339
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2016, 02:12:52 PM »
Dave:  If that's a railroad-controlled track, I agree.  Around here, if it's an industry siding, it wouldn't be at all unusual.  The railroad has to get permission to switch the track, so the industry doesn't hesitate to park on the tracks.
N Kalanaga
Be well

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2131
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2016, 02:45:23 PM »
Making progress on my river crossing. Phase one is complete. Bridges and trestle are set. First application of ground cover is done. Next- boulders, dead trees and other debris.

Thanks,
Wolf

I just had an idea , seeing that this backdrop is hung , could it be back lit ? My thoughts are that the sky is mostly brighter that the ground most of the time . Could a sky scene have defused backlighting , and would that not soften the shadows away from the camera on the ground as well as the sky .

Richie Dost

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4702
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2016, 03:55:05 PM »

Actually, you're only partially correct.  The cab comes glossy and the tires dull, true. 

Now I can use the RTR chassis for something else to utilize all of the other dozens of spare parts.  :D

I wasn't trying to berate your modeling - you did a really nice job on those custom trucks.  My post was just stating that the cabs and fenders are nicely painted right from the factory and that the rubber-colored tires are also ready to use right out of factory.  I bought about $200 worth of those truck parts (the cost realy adds up fast) and I still didn't get all the pieces I needed. They sold out just as fast as other Trainworx truck offerings.

Trainworx website features several really nice custom built trucks. http://train-worx.com/truckgallery.htm
. . . 42 . . .

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2016, 04:35:40 PM »
I wasn't trying to berate your modeling.

No worries.  I didn't take it that way. 
Bryan

Member of MRHA

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4342
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2016, 05:49:49 PM »
+10
NH heavyweight diner progress — tablecloths on the dining room tables.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4702
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2016, 06:02:07 PM »
Nice interior Bryan!  A lot of detail painting! Funny how thick the window material is compared to the rest of the car.  I once detailed a passenger car interior and I used 0.010" clear styrene to make the windows more scale-like.

How did you make the tablecloths?

. . . 42 . . .

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5532
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2016, 06:36:49 PM »
+8
Slapped some back drop paint on the HOn30 mini layout

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2016, 06:48:44 PM »
Really nice Chris.
Bryan

Member of MRHA

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4342
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2016, 08:07:51 PM »
+1
Nice interior Bryan!  A lot of detail painting! Funny how thick the window material is compared to the rest of the car.  I once detailed a passenger car interior and I used 0.010" clear styrene to make the windows more scale-like.

How did you make the tablecloths?

The "tablecloths" are part of the FXD interior component. It was a lot of tedious painting. I think next time, I will design the table tops separately.

Regarding the windows, I had wanted to utilize the standard MTL .035" thick heavyweight windows, and the interior was designed to reflect that. But the glass isn't tall enough, because my underfloor is a brass slab and the interior floor is only .010" thick, and therefore much lower than the standard MTL floor. So I will use the milling machine to cut 6.0" x 0.4" rectangle pieces out of  .035" thick acrylic sheet.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 08:19:22 AM by bbussey »
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net