Author Topic: AR-1 Reversing loop problems.  (Read 1344 times)

SmittyTV

• Respect: +1
AR-1 Reversing loop problems.
« on: March 01, 2016, 12:26:00 AM »
So I can't get the AR-1 to work.  Second one I've tried.

Sometimes locos go through fine with just one light click of the AR-1. Most of the time it sounds like two louder clicks and the loco either shorts the system because the wheels stop over the gap or the loco gets over the gap and stalls and restarts.

I have tweaked the TTC control in tiny increments until I'm blue in the face.

I've changed the location of the feeders for the reversing section -- closer to the turnouts, in the middle of the loop. Now (grasping at straws) I have two feeders in the reversing loop. When I had just one, the "quarter trick" didn't work far away from the feeders in the reverse loop now it works throughout.  My TrainStoreGuy says I should only have one set of feeders in the loop but I'm to the point of grasping at straws and it has made no difference.

Here's a vid showing what's up.

Any ideas would be appreciated

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8142
    • Conrail 1285
Re: AR-1 Reversing loop problems.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 08:37:36 AM »
You're not going to like this answer, but... every time I talk about using an AR-1 on my layout, the immediate recommendation by whoever I'm talking to is "sell it and get a PSX-AR".

I can't help diagnose your problem, but I can tell you that you're not the only person to have problems with them.

seusscaboose

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +190
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 10:34:18 AM »
there is a reason everyone is telling you that.

by the way, have you bought yours yet?
"I have a train full of basements"

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:
http://nkphts.org/modelersnotebook

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8142
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 02:07:36 PM »
No, not yet. I've got the AR sitting around that I'll use while testing things out (with the intention of replacing it as soon as it annoys me). I've been focused on basic power needs for now.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 03:57:33 PM by Ed Kapuscinski »

bobthebear

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 01:23:46 PM »
One reason could be that your command station is shutting down, because of the perceived short, before the AR1 is switching. I had this problem. I would get it to work with, say an Atlas loco, then a Broadway Ltd with sound would short. I would adjust it for that, then it wouldn't trip for the Atlas.
I gave up and bought Tam Valley Hex Juicers, which are electronis rather than using a relay, and have had no trouble since.
Cheers, Bob.

Pomperaugrr

• Crew
  • Respect: +1197
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 03:44:45 PM »
I had a similar experience.  I now have 2 PSX-AR units and they work flawlessly.  I would recommend offsetting the insulated joints by at least 1/4" or a little more.  That was a suggestion I had seen and it worked well with the PSX-Ar units.

You may even want to try that with your current unit before incurring the expense of the PSX-AR unit.

Eric

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +609
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 11:43:43 AM »
What I found on one of my AR-1s was that the adjustment skipped straight from not being sensitive enough to trip before the PM-1 breaker tripped to doing that double-trip that you're describing. From my experience, that double trip seems to be a symptom of the sensitivity being set too high. My solution was to go to a solid state "on guard" reverser (the PSX's little brother), and I haven't had any problems since. I also had another AR-1 take down the whole layout. I fixed it by hitting it with a screwdriver. Not good technology.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 11:45:43 AM by eric220 »
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com