Author Topic: What would keep you from building a TTRAK module?  (Read 9626 times)

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8146
    • Conrail 1285
Re: What would keep you from building a TTRAK module?
« Reply #165 on: December 26, 2023, 11:02:17 PM »
Agreed! I saw that Prince model in Altoona. I was really impressed!

The rest of the layout looks fantastic. I love what you're doing with it.

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +667
« Reply #166 on: February 12, 2024, 02:43:29 PM »
What's the largest practical limit for size of a TTrak corner module that could take advantage of larger radius Kato curves, or even use flex track curved between UniTrak end pieces?

What are the Ttrak experts thoughts?
Peter Pfotenhauer

arbomambo

• Crew
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #167 on: February 12, 2024, 03:49:41 PM »
Many T-TRAKers (myself included) have built and are building corners, endcaps, and junctiions using Kato doubletrack superelevated large radius curves of 18 7/8" - 17 5/8.
These are accepted and encouraged and can be found in the T-TRAK tips and techniques section, under ‘publications’ at the NRail website www.nrail.org
"STILL Thrilled to be in N scale!"

Bruce M. Arbo
CATT- Coastal Alabama T-TRAK
https://nationalt-traklayout.com/

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +667
« Reply #168 on: February 12, 2024, 04:52:05 PM »
Many T-TRAKers (myself included) have built and are building corners, endcaps, and junctiions using Kato doubletrack superelevated large radius curves of 18 7/8" - 17 5/8.
These are accepted and encouraged and can be found in the T-TRAK tips and techniques section, under ‘publications’ at the NRail website www.nrail.org

Bruce, what does that put the dimensions of the corner module at? Also, what about larger radii approaching 21-24 inches using non Kato track, maybe in something like what @Ed Kapuscinski designed to be 3d printed to use non Kato rails on modules? Theoretically on a dedicated module set, a larger curve could be done across 2 straights and 1 curved module. I'm not sure how such a set would play with the need to keep everything on the table surface though.
Peter Pfotenhauer

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
  • Respect: +608
« Reply #169 on: February 12, 2024, 06:05:07 PM »
Honestly @Ed Kapuscinski the only thing keeping me from building any T-Trak modules is money (and probably the fact that I have too many ideas and too little time, combined with my poor track record for finishing projects)

I have two blank triple modules tucked away at home that I have yet to do anything with. My thought was originally to use them to build a long industrial complex with some private switching, making use of the tight radius stuff that Tomix makes, but that’d be just another project I’d be likely not to finish.

But, I did do the scenery on the two singles and the two end caps that were the start of New Jersey Southern’s T-Trak division.
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.
Tired.
Fighting to reclaim shreds of the past.

arbomambo

• Crew
« Reply #170 on: February 12, 2024, 07:30:08 PM »
+1
Bruce, what does that put the dimensions of the corner module at? Also, what about larger radii approaching 21-24 inches using non Kato track, maybe in something like what @Ed Kapuscinski designed to be 3d printed to use non Kato rails on modules? Theoretically on a dedicated module set, a larger curve could be done across 2 straights and 1 curved module. I'm not sure how such a set would play with the need to keep everything on the table surface though.

The geometry works well (due to the Kato unitrack measurements…
For example, if one wants to set up the old and boring oval-on-a-table layout (I have no clue why so many T-TRAKers and non T-TRAKers think this is ‘the way’), a large radius endcap (or two large radius corners) perfectly balance two older, small radius corners with a single between them on the opposite end of the oval…
Obviously, one must use two tables, arranged side-by-side to handle the size of the endcap or two corners.
We run 85’ body-mounted equipment with no worries.

Bruce M. Arbo

spdaylight4449

• Respect: 0
« Reply #171 on: March 13, 2024, 09:21:35 PM »

Bruce,

I love your work... But the fact that those modules are way outside the normal TTrak standard kinda defeats the whole concept of TTrak, no? Like, you can just show up at some random TTrak meet with that trestle and expect to plug right in, right?

Dave,

As a matter of fact, you can just show up with the trestle and plug it into the layout. I've done it several times. It may be built outside the normal size, or normal style, but it is built to the standards required to connect to any other T-TRAK module that is built to the T-TRAK standard. So Yes, it plugs right in. The only problem with this module is its size. I have to transport it inside the cab of my pickup truck. But that's ok cause I normally carry my other 10 modules with me also.

Jaime

arbomambo

• Crew
« Reply #172 on: March 15, 2024, 12:17:40 PM »

Bruce,

I love your work... But the fact that those modules are way outside the normal TTrak standard kinda defeats the whole concept of TTrak, no? Like, you can just show up at some random TTrak meet with that trestle and expect to plug right in, right?

Actually, those modules are not “way outside the norm”.
My Arbo Canyon modules are standard triples and only 13” deep.
Jaime’s trestle is a depressed center 14” deep quad.
Both these modules plug into every layout/setup we’ve attended with them. Any of them.
Yes, we can just ‘show up’ and plug them into any T-TRAK layout that needs 2 triples together (Arbo canyon) and a quad (Jaime’s trestle)
 The “whole concept of T-TRAK”? What is that?

Bruce M. Arbo

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5529
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #173 on: March 15, 2024, 04:21:53 PM »
As seen elsewhere in these pages, I've worked out a TTrak interface for my Hi Rail layout.  The lower double track main line loop is now connected to a TTrak-compabible yard via a wye junction.

The modules are set up to run either as the yard attached to my layout, where all of the polarity is consistent over the whole track plan, or as part of a modular set up, where the B-W-W-B wiring scheme is set up by throwing a slide switch.  In that instance, the crossover becomes locked, and the siding at the front is used for the outer Red line, and the rest of the yard can be worked from the yellow line.

It should work with either DCC or DC, or the split where a DC loop uses the inner track and DCC uses the outer (as long as the crossover isn't thrown to confuse the issue)

The siding on the red line causes the front edge of the module to creep out an inch or so, with track 2 being the Red main, and track 3 being the Yellow main, where the Bachmann Chessie train set is parked.  I still have to add the leveling screws and tidy up the wiring.

The upper level yard will only be used as part of the home layout, so I'm considering making that a simple removable shelf that can stay home, then creating a scenic "costume" to put on the back of the modules when deployed in a larger set up.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Iain

• Crew
  • Na sgrìobhaidh a Iain
  • Respect: +357
    • The Best Puppers
« Reply #174 on: March 22, 2024, 11:41:35 PM »
welp, about the time i was thinking about getting back into n scale and i was laid off, so rn i don't have the budget for modules
I like ducks

dem34

• Crew
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +1095
« Reply #175 on: March 23, 2024, 12:33:57 AM »
welp, about the time i was thinking about getting back into n scale and i was laid off, so rn i don't have the budget for modules
Do you know anyone with scrap wood pallets and a Western/Eastern wood saw? Partially joking

At Altoona we had a few modules that were just platters of scrap plywood with 5" bolts that were perfectly serviceable as modules.
-Al