Author Topic: Scale trains GEVO 1st vs 2nd run sound  (Read 1684 times)

ek2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +48
Scale trains GEVO 1st vs 2nd run sound
« on: October 13, 2020, 10:27:44 PM »
Hi guys, I have a scale trains GEVO from the first run and the sound quality (especially prime mover) leaves a lot to be desired.

Has anyone been able to compare the sound from the 1st and 2nd runs of GEVO? With the 3rd run coming soon, im thinking of purchasing another GEVO but don't want to end up with sound quality that I have (or the lack, thereof). I read somewhere that scale trains have picked up on their sound and I can witness that in my scale trains dash 9, just not sure if it applies to the GEVO as the discussion previously on the forum indicated that the bass in the sound file was as much to blame as the installation / enclosure. Thanks in advance for your input and insights.

Jbub

• Crew
  • HP 9999
  • Respect: +548
Re: Scale trains GEVO 1st vs 2nd run sound
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2020, 11:50:00 PM »
The biggest problem with sound on these is the speaker is not enclosed. Luckily it's not to hard make an enclosure by just sealing off the one side of the speaker cavity with some styrene and the hole that the wires pass through. There's not much volumetric space with the provided speaker, so going with an 8x12 with custom enclosure might produce better sound though.
"Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!"

Darth Vader

EspeeGoldenState

• Crew
  • Respect: +107
    • Modern Southern Pacific
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2020, 12:22:12 AM »
I own a first and second run of the GEVOs. I honestly think its a decoder/sound file difference as well. The 2 or 3 that I've installed V5 decoders and ESU speakers in the tank sound a lot better and not as much "static" I would say, though the start up sounds aren't the same.

Also, the third run will come equipped with V5 decoders, so hopefully even with the speaker that it comes with, I would think they would sound better than the first two runs as well.
Attempting to model a modern Southern Pacific based in 2015/2016...

Also, I have a passenger train addiction...

ek2000

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2020, 11:16:17 PM »
I own a first and second run of the GEVOs. I honestly think its a decoder/sound file difference as well. The 2 or 3 that I've installed V5 decoders and ESU speakers in the tank sound a lot better and not as much "static" I would say, though the start up sounds aren't the same.

Also, the third run will come equipped with V5 decoders, so hopefully even with the speaker that it comes with, I would think they would sound better than the first two runs as well.

Thanks, so between the first and second run, did you hear a noticeable difference in the sound quality? Or are they just the same? The video from MBK of the second run (navajo mines) sounds much better than the one I have (first run), which gets drowned out by the wheel noise of the train it pulls.

EspeeGoldenState

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2020, 06:11:11 PM »
+1
Thanks, so between the first and second run, did you hear a noticeable difference in the sound quality? Or are they just the same? The video from MBK of the second run (navajo mines) sounds much better than the one I have (first run), which gets drowned out by the wheel noise of the train it pulls.

I think some of that might be from say the recording device and/or the editing software. I've noticed in some videos of other modelers that it sounds a lot better in video than it does in person and then there are times its quite opposite.

I honestly do not hear any difference between first and second runs. They sound exactly the same to me, all the way to Run 8. I went downstairs and took video of a loco from both runs, and then one I installed my own V5 in. It really is night and day difference. I'm not sure if you own any of the current runs of the Dash 9s, but the sound quality is so much better when comparing them.

If I can get the videos off my phone, I'll upload them to youtube later tonight and hopefully you can hear (or not hear) the differences between 1/2 and a V5 which run 3 will have equipped.

Chris

ek2000

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2020, 07:11:05 PM »
I think some of that might be from say the recording device and/or the editing software. I've noticed in some videos of other modelers that it sounds a lot better in video than it does in person and then there are times its quite opposite.

I honestly do not hear any difference between first and second runs. They sound exactly the same to me, all the way to Run 8. I went downstairs and took video of a loco from both runs, and then one I installed my own V5 in. It really is night and day difference. I'm not sure if you own any of the current runs of the Dash 9s, but the sound quality is so much better when comparing them.

If I can get the videos off my phone, I'll upload them to youtube later tonight and hopefully you can hear (or not hear) the differences between 1/2 and a V5 which run 3 will have equipped.

Chris

Thank you very much ! Yes, I own a dash 9 from the second run and the prime mover sound is much better than the first run GEVO. The horn in the dash 9 is a total let down though.

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +835
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2020, 10:56:45 PM »
Did/do these come with Loksound decoders? I'm a HUGE Loksound fan and have several of their sound decoders, but I've listened to their GEVO sound files via sample on their website and I know at of least one where the prime mover sounds absolutely terrible. Not sure why that is as most, if not all their other sound files sound great to me. Maybe the prototype sounds terrible (I'm not sure I've ever heard one up close)?

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +329
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2020, 11:21:58 PM »
Did/do these come with Loksound decoders? I'm a HUGE Loksound fan and have several of their sound decoders, but I've listened to their GEVO sound files via sample on their website and I know at of least one where the prime mover sounds absolutely terrible. Not sure why that is as most, if not all their other sound files sound great to me. Maybe the prototype sounds terrible (I'm not sure I've ever heard one up close)?

Yes.  Scaletrains uses ESU LokSound decoders in it's sound units.  AFIK they use LokPilot in the DCC units.  The first releases used LokSound V4 but the most recent releases have been LokSound 5's.
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

EspeeGoldenState

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2020, 11:43:05 PM »
+1
Thank you very much ! Yes, I own a dash 9 from the second run and the prime mover sound is much better than the first run GEVO. The horn in the dash 9 is a total let down though.

Forgive the rather crudeness of simple editing/splicing the 3 together, but didnt want to dr it much.

UP 2578 is a first run
GECX 2015 is a second run
GECX 2024 is a V5 I installed myself with a ESU 50321 speaker/enclosure

/>

Yes, every ScaleTrains product offered with sound has been a variant of LokSound. The first and second runs of the Tier 4s used LokSound Select Micro's, not V4s.

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +835
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2020, 01:17:13 AM »
Forgive the rather crudeness of simple editing/splicing the 3 together, but didnt want to dr it much.

UP 2578 is a first run

/>
Yes, every ScaleTrains product offered with sound has been a variant of LokSound. The first and second runs of the Tier 4s used LokSound Select Micro's, not V4s.

The prime mover in the third one sounds MUCH better! The first and second leave a lot to be desired. But, again, maybe these things sound like that in real life?

EspeeGoldenState

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2020, 03:52:04 PM »
Protos are quieter than say a Tier 3 GEVO, but they still bark like a GE when pushed to run 8. But they definitely do not sound like the first 2 run STs do. 

ek2000

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2020, 10:12:53 PM »

UP 2578 is a first run

/>

I could tell the difference with my eyes closed :) Awesome job on the Loksound V5 installation and a very helpful video. I wish the factory model sounded this good, hopefully, the third run will be.
It was a very hard decision not to pick up another unit from the 2nd run, these are such nicely detailed models and perform every bit as excellent, save for the sound.

EspeeGoldenState

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2020, 06:53:43 PM »
So, my third run Tier 4 GEVO came in today. BNSF 3768

Here's the video, seems like they may have just used the stock ESU V5 sound file. As there is no start up bells ringing, which I think is rather disappointing.

/>
@ek2000

Chris

ek2000

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2020, 07:36:04 AM »
Thanks. Do you hear any improvement at all on the prime mover? I have a csx unit on the way.

ek2000

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2020, 06:19:41 PM »
Just got mine in. Similar if not same prime mover sounds as the first run (not good). Regardless, after looking at their level of detail, it is hard to pick the Kato ones even though kato sounds much better and may be mechanically superior.