Author Topic: BLI F3 & F7 Rerun  (Read 8436 times)

haasmarc

• Crew
  • Respect: +731
Re: BLI F3 & F7 Rerun
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2020, 11:02:40 AM »
If BLI did a phase IV F3 I would be definitely interested is several A units of those. I decorated preferably but I will strip and repaint if necessary.

Same here but need single headlight for Reading.

Maybe Ken could be talked into doing Reading F7 and F3 units...  and CNJ's and LV's...
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 11:06:52 AM by haasmarc »
Marc Haas
Keeping the Reading alive in N scale!

ncbqguy

• Crew
  • Respect: +385
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2020, 07:33:08 PM »
The material supplied to BLI and the factory laid the groundwork for the majority of Phases and Factory Options for F-2 through F-9 units.   Included in the package were provisions for cutting back the fuel tank skirts which allow later paint schemes as many railroads did this modification which is difficult on previous N Scale releases.   The road specific details specified for the first run units were followed down to the cab access handrails and winterization hatches, etc..  It remains to be seen how much tooling beyond the F3 Phase II and F7 Phase I was implemented.  I am glad to see the factory error on the F3 screening has been corrected.
Charlie Vlk

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1954
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2020, 08:39:01 PM »
"..................

.. I am glad to see the factory error on the F3 screening has been corrected.
Charlie Vlk

Well Charlie, has it actually been corrected, or have the early chickewire shells simply been replaced by an F7 shell with DB slits? At least it appears to be that way with the ATSF units shown on the BLI website... (see my earlier post and pics).
Otto K.

ncbqguy

• Crew
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2020, 09:38:35 PM »
Otto, Otto, Otto-
While the ATSF is difficult because of their constant upgrades from Phase I F3 to almost F9 appearance on their earlier units, I think the numbers for the ATSF 2nd production ARE F7s.   Note that the PRR units, in spite of the railroad specified different small NB, are also F7s.   The CGW artwork and other road F3s units show the corrected grilles.   
The 2nd run, like the last release, is a mix of F3s and F7s.
Charlie Vlk

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2020, 01:34:14 AM »
Oh Charlie, just once, lol.
Actually, BLI is producing ATSF unit #31 this time, which is correct for a late 1949 F3 as delivered, that looks like an F7 except for the dynamic brake slits. So it would seem BLI didn’t  “fix” the previous  “chickenwire” units that were screwed up in their first run, just replaced them with a correct but different body style (at least for the ATSF units, I can’t really tell from the rendering what they did for the other roads).

The second ATSF number they are producing this time, 328, IS an F7, a renumbered unit from 1953, and as such should have the larger 48” dynamic brake fans. Can’t tell from the rendering whether it does.
Otto, just once...
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 10:42:21 AM by Cajonpassfan »

ncbqguy

• Crew
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2020, 11:33:36 AM »
ATSF guys-
Seems to me since they fixed the tooling on the CGW and other F3s shown they can use them on a future ATSF run.   I would welcome the slot dynamic F3 units in CB&Q as they had more of them than F7s....
Charlie Vlk Vlk Vlk

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +1015
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2020, 12:27:49 PM »
I suppose the question will be answered definitively in a week or two, if the "late February 2020 delivery" holds true. 

Did they actually show the incorrect framing in the artwork for the original release?  A lot of folks seemed to have been caught off-guard when the locos arrived in the mail, IIRC.

That said, not that I can afford another ABBA set of F units, but the late version F3s are welcome.  Wonder how many decades before they bring them out in C&EI....

Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1133
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2020, 12:39:59 PM »

Did they actually show the incorrect framing in the artwork for the original release?  A lot of folks seemed to have been caught off-guard when the locos arrived in the mail, IIRC.

Yeah, the artwork shown before the first release was incorrect.  This forums position at the time (and still?) was that we should not use artwork to critique a model so I never brought it up and just waited to see if BLI would get it right.

Hopefully this episode will allow for future open discussion of artwork, especially from a company that consistently mails it in on N scale.

Jason

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2020, 06:52:39 PM »
Well, the reruns are apparently out. It seems that BLI did fix the early F3 open side panel errors and is offering the corrected  early F3’s in a number of road names. Kudos for that. Inexplicably to me, the one road for which the corrected early version is not available is ATSF; instead BLI chose to do a later F3 body style (units 30-36 as delivered) with grilles covering the openings. From what I can tell from the ads, it looks accurate for that body style.  I’d be interested in photos of both the F3 and F7 reruns (in ATSF and UP) if any of you acquire these.
Regards, Otto K.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 12:26:54 AM by Cajonpassfan »

muktown128

• Crew
  • Respect: +99
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2020, 07:39:55 AM »
I'd seriously consider buying a CNJ unit if it was offered in tangerine and blue.   The old MR issue with the cover pic of the Vic Roseman tangerine and blue CNJ F3 is one of my favorite MR covers.

DStastny

• Respect: +1
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2020, 06:58:36 PM »
I had to break down and buy the set even at retail.  F units are just too rare for CNJ.

High Hood

• Crew
  • Respect: +127
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2020, 07:12:13 PM »
Those CNJ motors are quite the lookers! I’m cautiously optimistic for the Southern F’s that are due this release. I’ve not really seen too many good photos online of these engines though, so how do they stack up appearance wise to Kato and IM?

spookshow

• Crew
  • Respect: +1724
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2020, 08:34:03 AM »
+1
FWIW, here are the new F3's (corrected early version and late version) -

I have a reservation for an F7 set (not out yet). Hopefully the running issues I encountered with the first run have been addressed.

-Mark