Author Topic: Shark Sounds  (Read 275 times)

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +569
Shark Sounds
« on: April 28, 2024, 09:03:00 PM »
I am thinking about putting sound decoders in some N scale ER Sharknose models.  I am having trouble finding sound files for the RS-16 locos.  The closest I have found is the ESU BLW 6-606SC https://projects.esu.eu/projectoverviews/search?cat=18&type=all&q=shark .

Does anybody have any other suggestions?

Curtis Kyger

• Crew
  • Respect: +91
Re: Shark Sounds
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2024, 10:32:02 PM »
ESU notes the sound file you attached is for the RF-16; so its use would be appropriate.

Maletrain

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2024, 07:54:47 AM »
True that ESU says their file is "appropriate" although they admit it is not exactly right. But, that doesn't bother me, especially in these models which already come with "sound" whose prototype is apparently an electric razor.  So, the result in these models isn't going to be exact at any speed other than near zero, anyway.

The ESU decoders that take these sound files are expensive and have a lot of function outputs for which these models have no uses.  So, I was hoping there might be some other options.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4684
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2024, 08:06:57 AM »
Since (as you mentioned) these already include a nasty natural sound, just install a non-sound decoder, and you're done for just 30 bucks.
Other sound options?  All sound decoders cost between around 70-110 dollars.  If all you want is horn and bell, buy any cheap sound decoder and turn down the volume of the prime  mower.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2024, 08:08:57 AM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

Maletrain

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2024, 08:33:30 AM »
Peteski,

Yes, I have considered a cheap-as-possible option.  Since this is going to be an A-B-B-A setup that I probably won't break, I may just put sound in 1 unit, probably one of the B's, and non-sound decoders in the rest, so that I have a horn and bell. 

I might even be able to get away with no frame milling if I do that.  If so, then maybe sound in both B units. 

Because my plan for these (as of now, at least) is run-through from staging to staging, I would be using the horn and maybe the bell, but not really the startup and shutdown sounds. 

However, it would be nice to have some other sounds besides "electric razor" as they go by, even with the electric razor sounds mixed in.  And I am thinking that "quadraphonic" sound from speakers in all 4 units would be the best way to "cover" the unwanted sounds.

Another issue is whether I can get the ESU Nano on the 24 pin connector into these units without any milling.  Being able to swap out the decoder without soldering seems like a plus with the current ESU quality problems.  It looks to me like that will require a bit of milling, so, I need to decide how much effort I really want to put into these units.  With some effort, I think I could make them really nice, except for the razor noise.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2024, 09:38:58 AM by Maletrain »

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2934
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2024, 10:51:49 AM »
+1
Que soundtrack from jaws

turbowhiz

• Crew
  • https://n-possible.com
  • Respect: +143
    • N-Possible
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2024, 11:07:18 AM »
+1
There is a better project for Sharks:

https://projects.esu.eu/projectoverviews/search?cat=18&type=all&q=608sc

The AS-616 project is a better match to the RF-16 (Shark). Sharks had the same 8 cylinder prime mover in the as-616 vs the 6 cylinder typically found in the switchers.

Maletrain

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2024, 04:02:17 PM »
Thanks, Turbowhiz!