Author Topic: 2 Dioramas I made looking for overall feedback/static grass use  (Read 1408 times)

nuno81291

• Crew
  • Respect: +311
2 Dioramas I made looking for overall feedback/static grass use
« on: September 13, 2014, 01:56:23 PM »
Well I am unsure I would call these photo dioramas (in the process of being made still) layouts perse as they don't have any intention of ever seeing a moving train so I decided this is the right place for them...

I just made a flyswatter static grass applicator and wanted some feedback from the almighty Asshats about my first couple attempts using it. I made a farm scene to work on a more summer blend, and then an industrial double track main line scene for more autumn flavored grass... Have been too busy and uncommitted to my large layout and wanted to work on some scenery skills in smaller dioramas and a small switching inglenook before I go and try to tackle a more serious (and expensive) layout.

So... bearing in mind these are still in progress, please give me your critique on these 2 dioramas. excuse the wet glue on the pond  :trollface:

Thanks for looking
Guilford Rail System in the 80s/90s

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1564
    • Layout Progress Blog
Re: 2 Dioramas I made looking for overall feedback/static grass use
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 02:07:47 PM »
the grass looks really good.  You've obviously got a lot of scenery experience.  If anything, they only thing I'd be skeptical of is the water in the top diorama.  Its a tad too flat and reflective.  Even small ponds on apparently windless days have some shimmer or disturbance to the surface so they aren't perfect mirrors.  BTW - is that a mirror?
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

nuno81291

• Crew
  • Respect: +311
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 03:02:59 PM »
the grass looks really good.  You've obviously got a lot of scenery experience.  If anything, they only thing I'd be skeptical of is the water in the top diorama.  Its a tad too flat and reflective.  Even small ponds on apparently windless days have some shimmer or disturbance to the surface so they aren't perfect mirrors.  BTW - is that a mirror?

Thank you, yes I agree about the water being very flat and reflective...I originally intended just to model smaller puddles but decided to leave more of a surface open and add later if I choose. I made this module mostly to have a scene to photograph rolling stock in/weathering etc. I wouldn't hesitate to use a smaller mirror in a yard type setting or lumber yard where there is dirt/gravel mostly and model a smaller reflective puddle with it. From the overview/helicopter view it certainly looks overly reflective and sharp, perhaps someone could think of some translucenty material that would keep the reflective properties of the mirror but make for a more realistic surface effect? Tempted to try a little bit of mod-podge layering or something on top of another scrap mirror,,,
Guilford Rail System in the 80s/90s

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1154
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 03:07:20 PM »
Very nice work, I don't think I would change a thing.  If you are going to modge podge, I suggest trying a discrete edge first, but I think it is also fine the way it is for the effect you were aiming for.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4702
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 07:15:50 PM »
I like the mirror-like water surface.  This does happen in real life too.  :)
Rest of those dioramas also looks really good.  Nice job!
. . . 42 . . .

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1339
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 12:17:36 AM »
Peteski:  I agree.  As I said on the weekly photo page, it has enough distortion to look real, but still looks like still water.  I've seen lots of ponds like that on calm days.
N Kalanaga
Be well

hminky

• Crew
  • Respect: +35
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 07:17:25 AM »
The diorama looks really good, water is a reflective surface and from a distance isn't transparent.

Experimented with a reflective surface for ponds a while back, found Mylar wrapping paper worked well:

That is an HO horse. Tried rippling with gloss medium and got some good results:

Same HO horse

Eventually found cardboard party balloons with rippling:

Unfortunately they don't make the mylared balloons anymore only stars.
Have a " what I did" on the balloon pond at:

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/scenery/ballon_pond/

Need to start another layout!

Thank you if you visit
Harold