Author Topic: New Shapeways pricing structure.  (Read 2441 times)

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5529

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3255
    • Designer at Keystone Details
Re: New Shapeways pricing structure.
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 11:51:05 AM »
Wonder how much they paid to have the die set in the video made of tool steel, ground and polished.  $$$$

Jesse6669

• Crew
  • Respect: +1211
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 01:05:15 PM »

I will be curious about the minimum pricing.

Me too... I'm already starting to look at the competition, which is a consequence I doubt they intended. 

I can see adding several models together via sprues and "ganging" prints.  It will just yield less frequent purchases of larger volume of models.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5529
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 01:57:24 PM »
Thought I read somewhere that this new pricing had something to do with all the cleaning involved with small parts. Since we have to clean them anyways when their done, why not just have them skip the cleaning?

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2018, 01:35:58 PM »
Shapeways caters to all kinds of customers, not just us  :ashat: MRR'ers who clean the output parts fastidiously.  Joe Consumer may not do that (or do it carefully enough) so they don't want the consumer to blame them for not cleaning the output parts properly or at all.

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2293
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 08:38:37 AM »
Did I miss something with this change? ALL of my models are now gone from their site. Nothing was ever released as a salable product, but I did print something small two or three months ago, so it's not like the account is idle or anything like that. I had one model I was working on that was several hundred dollars all pieces combined, so now I'm curious how much more expensive it would be now. I guess I have to re-upload to find out... enough to justify my own Form 2? ;)

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3255
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 09:07:05 AM »
Did I miss something with this change? ALL of my models are now gone from their site. Nothing was ever released as a salable product, but I did print something small two or three months ago, so it's not like the account is idle or anything like that. I had one model I was working on that was several hundred dollars all pieces combined, so now I'm curious how much more expensive it would be now. I guess I have to re-upload to find out... enough to justify my own Form 2? ;)

The user interface has changed substantially.

There is a rubic's cube looking pick in the upper left, and it's a pulldown menu to look at your models they should still be there.

You might want to read through this and the new pricing went into effect for models that were not salable to the public: https://www.shapeways.com/forum/t/pricing-changes.97888/

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2293
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2018, 09:47:17 AM »
Thanks, John. That's what I missed. Everything is there, I was thrown off by getting nothing but "new upload" pages. I don't know how much the pricing has changed for what I have... I might have notes on the big project somewhere, but IIRC there isn't much change, if any, it is still ~$400. Maybe the pricing is grandfathered, but I do see more materials than before.

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2018, 04:38:54 PM »
Have they changed quality recently? @chicken45 sent me a photo of a gon and it looked amazing, without any telltale signs (raster lines) of originating from Shapeways.

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
  • Respect: +1013
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2018, 05:10:15 PM »
Have they changed quality recently? @chicken45 sent me a photo of a gon and it looked amazing, without any telltale signs (raster lines) of originating from Shapeways.

Yeah, it was that PRR GR that Claus was working on. It looked *really effing good*.
Josh Surkosky

Here's a Clerihew about Ed. K.

Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
But mention his law
and you've pulled your last straw!

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
He asks excitedly "Did you say Ménage à Trois?"
No, I said "Ed's Law."

Jesse6669

• Crew
  • Respect: +1211
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2018, 10:55:30 AM »
Hmm  let's hope so.  I think a lot of it has to do with the orientation of the model, which can be random.  Or the operator is making allowances for better quality?  When I had models printed "pre Shapeways" I determined this by talking with their techs, and thereafter always had them tilt the model 45 degrees off vertical and it printed much better.  I haven't done that with SW although now you can supposedly specify the print orientation for an upcharge.