Author Topic: WNYP Downsizing, Getting Rid of ALCO' and GE's  (Read 346 times)

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +603
    • My train pics
WNYP Downsizing, Getting Rid of ALCO' and GE's
« on: May 02, 2024, 12:52:45 AM »
+2
So the WNYP will be retrenching and getting rid of their current roster in favor of smaller units. The Driftwood run will end with what traffic remains being handled by B&P and interchanged in Salamanca. The Meadville - Falconer run will also end, with the traffic going out of Meadville via NS, however the Olean to Falconer run will still operate. The AC6000's are to be sold to GE to be parted out (I assume that GE is actually Wabtec), and the remaining ALCO's will be replaced in time with GP15's. Operations will be restricted to the Olean Salamanca turns, the Farmers Valley job, Olean - Falconer, and I assume the occasional run to Turtle Point and Port Allegany. Not sure if any frack sand traffic remains at Emporium or Turtle Point, but the glass plant in P.A. is still going afaik.

Very sad but somewhat inevitable given the road was seemingly on life support for a long time... my visits always left me with the impression of a road that existed more for the delight of foamers than actual economic reasons. But boy was it a show! Watching those big MLW's brought back a lot of memories of them working around Toronto in the late 1980's. A class act with some great people who I hope are able to weather this storm.

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +329
Re: WNYP Downsizing, Getting Rid of ALCO' and GE's
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2024, 01:28:41 AM »
+1
That's a sad turn of events.  The roots of this may go back even further to when NS quit running the coal unit trains across the WNY&P line to Hornell (?)
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

lock4244

• Crew
    • My train pics
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2024, 05:55:53 PM »
+1
I don't think WNYP actually owns the former Erie main, so they wouldn't be party to any fees afaik (someone here may know better than I). The loss of frack sand revenue is more of an issue. From what I recall, sand came in on the B&P at Salamanca and was hauled down to Port Allegany, Emporium, and Turtle Point at varying times. Turtle Point was the main sand terminal as of 2019, having been relocated from Emporium to avoid having to lug it over Keating Summit.

I'm certain the past four years haven't been kind either, as they've never been blessed with an adequate amount of traffic.

lock4244

• Crew
    • My train pics
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2024, 11:26:11 PM »
Track owned by the STERA.

https://www.ccasstera.org