Author Topic: Weekend Update 2/17/13  (Read 9952 times)

superturbine

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
Re: Weekend Update 2/17/13
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2013, 10:00:26 PM »
MarkW

Wow I love it!  Congrats!!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 01:01:57 AM by superturbine »

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4684
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2013, 11:29:26 PM »
Took home 1st place at the local train show Model Contest.  The theme was "Special Loads".

Nailed it?

WOW!  Sweet!  Nailed it!
. . . 42 . . .

Mike Madonna

• Crew
  • Respect: +86
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2013, 11:35:14 PM »
Great work every body.

Thanks Mike,
Are you on board for the AC-9 conversion of an intermountain Cab Forward with Phillip and I?

Jason,

While the AC-9 is another signature SP loco and tempting to add to the roster, I will respectfully pass. It is not part of my modeling focus, as they never ran over the Coast Route. Someone else mentioned a "flat face" AC in a previous post. You replied about IM having a better chance of releasing that model. I spoke with both Frank & Richard about that possibility when they had the -12 in Portland. The cab is a separate casting then the boiler. So, the possibility of a different cab is feasible... it's the tender that would be an issue. All that said, I'd lean towards an AC-6 flat face. But, above all, an F class "Deck" is still top on my list.  :D
Mike
SOUTHERN PACIFIC Coast Division 1953
Santa Margarita Sub

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +835
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2013, 12:06:12 AM »
WOW!  Sweet!  Nailed it!

Yep! That's AWESOME!! :o

Russ

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2013, 04:35:56 AM »
Concord Coaches?
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

jereising

• Crew
  • Respect: +609
    • The Oakville Sub
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2013, 09:41:38 AM »
One more week of the E9s - this time showing the finished ABA set.  First unlit:

Then with both headlight and ditchlights (ditchlights are on F1);

And finally on the road with their train:

Jim Reising
Visit The Oakville Sub - A Different Tehachapi - at:
http://theoakvillesub.itgo.com/
And on Trainboard:
http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?t=99466

PAL_Houston

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2013, 10:44:10 AM »
Took home 1st place at the local train show Model Contest.  The theme was "Special Loads".

Nailed it?

Sure did!  Great scene.  And what a great idea -- kinda reminds me of them delivering Hummers downtown!
Regards,
Paul

BCRail_FSJ

• Crew
  • Respect: +531
    • Trying to model the BCR Fort St John BC (again)...while living in Australia (what could possibly go wrong?)
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2013, 12:50:03 PM »
Fuel tank modifications in progress on one of the CRS-20s.  Basically cut the stock Atlas RS-11 fuel tank in half, removed 1/8th inch from the middle,  shaved the remaining halves wafer thin and laminated them on to the metal chassis frame (filed down in width previously) with contact cement.   Rest of the details such as are all being built up from odd bits of styrene and wire.
Left and right sides of the fuel tank are different on the prototype.  The right side has angular thingy on it (I think its an oil reservoir)

Attempting Canadian prototype modelling in Australia

British Columbia Fort St John Subdivision
https://nscalefortstjohnsub.wordpress.com

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
  • Respect: +608
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2013, 01:35:56 PM »

Nailed it?

I'd say you drove it home!
Certainly has the look and feel of a special loading operation and the loads themselves are certainly top notch.

-Cody F.
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.
Tired.
Fighting to reclaim shreds of the past.

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1637
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2013, 01:38:23 PM »
CRS20 #601 is ready for stripping and paint.  The pilots were detailed with BLMA lift bars, Sunrise MU hoses, BLMA air hoses, and Z scale couplers.

Craig
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 01:41:54 PM by craigolio1 »

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3575
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2013, 01:59:36 PM »
Left and right sides of the fuel tank are different on the prototype.  The right side has angular thingy on it (I think its an oil reservoir)

Waste oil retention tank, I believe.  Two different CRS-20 project posts . . . well done to the both of you.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1154
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2013, 02:35:10 PM »
Some very nice work this week, as always.

More progress on the Cisco high bridge.  This is turning out to be a much larger project than I anticipated.  This week I scratched a deck and installed the diagonal cross-beams.  I also started the horizontal cross beams but ran out of cement... :facepalm:  The upper horizontal cross is not quite level and I need to change it, but the lower diagonal one has revealed a problem.  I must have goofed one of the bents, so this lower cross brace at the bottom right should be horizontal, not diagonal as I have it.  I think it looks terrible, but it would be worse to make it horizontal.  Not sure if there is a solution, but maybe I'll figure it out.

I have also cut the 400 bridge ties from .060 X .100 strip to match the prototype, and will be assembling that part soon once I have more cement.  These tall ties look very distinctive, and they are a scale 16' long. 

It is definitely coming together, but the amount of styrene parts I've used is incredible.  Regardless, I think I am on track for a spring completion and outdoors airbrushing the unique half-painted, orange-black look of the prototype.

rsn48

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2013, 09:02:05 PM »
This post is not to be, this is my third attempt to post, somehow I've toasted my other two submissions.

I worked on my nolix putting in a few hours but it looks like I did nothing, this hobby is a time eater that needs thousands of hours of work with a result that looks like its hundreds of hours.  So I painted my sub-roadbed with glossy oil based polyurethane.  I use AMI (now out of production, a substance that is sticky on both sides to adhere to road bed and to hold track) and I was worried that on the plywood I used for the sub-roadbed, the roughness in some areas would pose a problem if I wanted to move the AMI after laying it, which I have on several occasions on past track I have laid.  I love the AMI for this ability to be repositioned so I thought a smoother surface would enhance relocation if I needed to do so.

So rather than the same pics of my nolix I have already shown here, I took two of the "back" area, which won't be visible once the mountain scenery goes in:

Right side facing in, back of nolix and side -

Left side and back of interior of nolix -

Hind sight is always better than foresight, except for lost opportunity costs.

Roger Holmes

• Crew
  • Respect: +580
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2013, 09:57:17 PM »
Continued with my quest to get almost finished projects off of the workbench.  Three projects moved from the shop to the layout this week.

First, the Branchline Laser Art "Fallen Barn."  A fun kit with lots of weathering opportunities.  The most tedious part was all of the rows of shingles.

Next, the GC Laser Country Market.  My LHS owner has started an organic farm and this is an homage to him and his family.  Actually pretty close to the produce stand that he built.  Needs some signage and parking.

Finally, the American Model Builders Pickle Car Conversion kit.  Fairly tedious to build the tanks around disk and stud formers.  I did not like that all of the delicate ladders were made from some type of very thin paperboard.  They did not hold up well.  All in all a fun build, though.

Work continues on the Chinese restaurant project then off to rebuild and repaint a "beater" G gauge GP7 before outdoor season begins.
Best regards,

Roger

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.  Those who understand the binary system and those who don't.

Mark W

• Crew
  • Respect: +2125
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2013, 10:55:12 PM »
Tried my hand at focus stacking.

Despite being 21 frames, still some fuzz around a few edges.  Nonetheless, I'm happy with it.
Contact me about custom model building.
Learn more about Free-moNebraska.
Learn more about HOn3-mo.