Author Topic: Sketchup  (Read 4994 times)

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +667
Re: Sketchup
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2015, 03:35:38 PM »
Chris I started using TinkerCAD.com and I really love it. Super simple and it's very intuitive. There have only been a few models that I haven't been able to work with and those were very complex. So if you're just starting in 3d modeling and plan to make simple shapes  TinkerCad is fun to use. They also have very helpful tutorials.

Tim, got anything in their library you can point to as examples of "easy" draws? Been, well, "tinkering" with TinkerCAD some at work, but still not really comfortable with it. Some of our 7th and 8th graders though can do some pretty amazing drawing work in those programs. I had several students 3d print game pieces for a class project using our MakerBOT 3D printer/scanner, and they did some great work.

I have not had any luck liking SketchUp. TinkerCAD isn't a pure CAD program, but then I don't use those and so the learning curve would be steep on anything like AutoCAD for me, speaking as someone who never learned to program a VCR and doesn't own a DVD player or DV-R device of any kind.
Peter Pfotenhauer

jimmo

• Crew
  • Representing Willmodels
  • Respect: +6
    • Willmodels
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2015, 05:12:39 PM »
So if you're just starting in 3d modeling and plan to make simple shapes  TinkerCad is fun to use.

I've taken it way beyond "simple shapes," Tim. Locomotive shells, passenger cars, structures, vehicles, campers, truck bodies... I'm just getting started!

I just wished that Shapeways prints were cheaper. I'm going broke ordering models.
James R. Will

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4702
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2015, 06:00:31 PM »
I've taken it way beyond "simple shapes," Tim. Locomotive shells, passenger cars, structures, vehicles, campers, truck bodies... I'm just getting started!

I just wished that Shapeways prints were cheaper. I'm going broke ordering models.

Jimmo,
could you post some examples of your designs (you can export from Sketchup to GIF), or would that be giving away too much info as to the future products of your company?
. . . 42 . . .

jimmo

• Crew
    • Willmodels
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2015, 06:55:22 PM »
I'm working in TinkerCAD Pete. Supposedly even less capabilities than SketchUp.

I would love to post some of the renderings and pics of finished models here but I have yet to figure out how. I have Picasa but I have no idea of how to use it other than looking at all of my graphic files and photographs which it devours on it's own.
James R. Will

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1154
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2015, 07:06:33 PM »
I've used Autocad but I found Tinkercad very intuitive and efficient.  I drew this up in a few hours from zero experience:

I had problems getting precise dimensions, but I would not hesitate to do a project with this again.

jimmo

• Crew
    • Willmodels
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2015, 07:10:32 PM »
That's a nice example. I import my individual parts to TCAD from plans drawn in Illustrator.
James R. Will

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2015, 09:01:41 PM »
I'm working in TinkerCAD Pete. Supposedly even less capabilities than SketchUp.

I would love to post some of the renderings and pics of finished models here but I have yet to figure out how. I have Picasa but I have no idea of how to use it other than looking at all of my graphic files and photographs which it devours on it's own.

Oops!  I thought you were using Sketchup.  Still, if you have some screen captures in jpg, png , or gif format, you can simply attach them to your post and they will just show up in the post.

When you're posting a message you should see "Attachments and other options" under the text box. Clisk on the + to expand that, then browse to the photo you want to upload, then select "Inline full-size image".

Or you don't know how to export a picture of the item you see on the screen in TinkerCAD?  It probably has some option to export the current view to a bitmap picture (like jpg, png or gif).  If not, maybe you could use a screen capture program to just take a "photo" of your screen then save it in one of the graphic formats mentioned earlier.

. . . 42 . . .

jimmo

• Crew
    • Willmodels
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2015, 09:49:39 PM »
I just tried to upload a pic and I'm getting an error that the upload folder is either full or my pic is too big. My pic is under 30k, is that too big?
James R. Will

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2015, 10:14:44 PM »
I just tried to upload a pic and I'm getting an error that the upload folder is either full or my pic is too big. My pic is under 30k, is that too big?

No, the TRW repository for attachments filled up again and  :tommann: hasn't expanded it yet). Not your fault.   See https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=34994.0

So currently the only way would be to upload your photos to some photo hosting website (liek Picasa or Photobucket) then get a direct link to those photos and use that in your posts. See  https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=26436.0
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 10:52:31 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5532
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2015, 10:34:04 PM »
Couldn't you just link to the item on Shapeways, that would show us a 3D view.

jimmo

• Crew
    • Willmodels
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2015, 10:47:04 PM »
Chris, my Shapeways store isn't open yet so I don't think I can link to it. I'll get into Picasa and see what I can do.
James R. Will

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2015, 10:51:13 PM »
Oh.  As for Picasa I deleted it from my computer and do everything online

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1571
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2015, 12:53:05 AM »
Oh.  As for Picasa I deleted it from my computer and do everything online

What was it that has killed your affinity for Picasa?
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2015, 01:05:53 AM »

What was it that has killed your affinity for Picasa?

Just don't understand why I need a program on my computer to use it.

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1133
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2015, 01:08:28 AM »
Just don't understand why I need a program on my computer to use it.

You don't need anything on your computer to use Picasa on-line.   :?

Jason