Author Topic: Weekend Update 5/5/24  (Read 2826 times)

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4320
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: Weekend Update 5/5/24
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2024, 08:32:51 PM »
+40
EP4 progress.

Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2024, 07:12:44 AM »
Very nice!
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

PiperguyUMD

• Crew
  • Respect: +1443
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2024, 07:55:44 AM »
+15
I planted a bridge! The WM 4th canal crossing.

There were some cool railroady structures on both ends of this bridge, looking forward to researching and building those.

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3258
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2024, 11:38:01 AM »
+13
Added ground dirt to the east side of the channel so I could finish up the other four telephone poles. These will be “connected” to the substation that is where the white rectangle is. I really like the WS poles for their ease of installation, and the fine EZ Line running on them.

Also painted the newly added track in at the waterfront for loading barges from the depressed center crane when finished. This track runs in front of what will be rusting scrap metal piles, so I wanted a more rust color ties here.

Next up will be to wire the remaining buildings with ther plugs so I can mount them at their respective spots.

bnsfdash8

• Crew
  • Respect: +1317
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2024, 06:07:49 PM »
+8
I wasn't planning on starting another steam project so soon, but I found another Kato Mikado for a good price, so I thought why not since I have the GHQ kits.

I'm doing a NP W-3 this time around and it is already a bit more challenging than the Southern MS-4 I did. I still have some work to do on the mechanism, but the tender came together nicely. I'll be adding LokSound to this one as well.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Reese
Modeling Norfolk Southern one loco at a time.

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3575
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2024, 01:37:53 AM »
+11
The modelling time drought continues, but I did manage to fit in an op session at Michael's E&N Railway today, which saw the last of my engines on loan make their return journey home.

RS-18 613 and RS-10 584 leading a northbound freight out of Victoria on Michael's layout:

Departing Hayward for Wellcox Yard in Nanaimo:

Arriving back on home rails at Chetwynd:

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

nscaler711

• Crew
  • @frs_strelizia
  • Respect: +137
    • IG
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2024, 04:24:22 AM »
+2
Finally got around to adding a sound decoder to a Model Power Pacific... Honestly wasn't that hard to do as I keep all the Next 18 jumpers from other installs. Though I will say... I managed to break off the tabs on the tender shell so it's lopsided till I can drill and tap some 00-90 screws. So there's that.
Since I'm a Santa Fe nut as you all know... It's 1369. Yes I need the  Valley Flyer set, no I'm not spending $300-$500 on a Con Cor set.  :facepalm:
Yes this was "filmed" the correct way, but a short seemed like the quickest way to upload.
https://youtube.com/shorts/TNu_hkuKyto?si=n0XKIMYEcV80LwTj

*Filmed on a potato.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2024, 04:26:46 AM by nscaler711 »
“If you have anything you wanna say, you better spit it out while you can. Because you’re all going to die sooner or later." - Zero Two

RSWController

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2024, 10:06:10 AM »
+19
One of the more important and distinctive trains in my modeling era were Geneva Steel taconite trains that ran from the Minntac plant in northern Minnesota to the Geneva Steel Mill in Utah. These trains were operated by the UP until the early 1990’s when the Wisconsin Central and Southern Pacific teamed up to win the contract. They ran via Chicago and through Wisconsin until they reached the last part on the Duluth, Missabe and Iron Range to load. While they ran with all kinds of SP/DRGW/WC power, the most common were new SP GE’s; first the 8100-series C44-9W’s and then the AC4400CW’s when they were delivered. Thanks to the recent arrival from ScaleTrains, I have new trio to power these trains on my layout.

SAH

• Crew
  • Respect: +1270
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2024, 01:42:45 PM »
+11
I attended the B&ORHS mini meet in Grafton, OH yesterday. Very relaxing and enjoyable day. The highlight, for me anyway, was getting to see the interior of the former Big 4 Grafton tower. A few local citizens/railfans were instrumental in the saving, moving, and stabilizing the tower. Certainly a treasure.  This is the tower @btrain measured for his model on the New London loop exhibition layout.  New London is about 20mi SW of Grafton as the crow flies.

Modeling-wise, Grandma Leiby's house is finally finished, 20 years after I started.  It's part of my Spencer FreeMo N module.

altohorn25

• Crew
  • Respect: +3391
    • Mini Mod u Trak
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2024, 05:07:34 PM »
+12
I spent the day re-powering an A-B-B set of Life-Like Southern Pacific E7's.

As per my usual, I took an A-B-B set of Kato E units and swapped the shells.  I added BLMA windshield wipers to the A unit as well as a MT true scale coupler in the pilot.  The rear of the A unit and both ends of both B units received unimate couplers to shorten up the distance between the carbodies.

Windows were replaced with Krystal Klear (apologies for the spelling.....)

Digitrax DN-163K0A decoders were added.

Weathering was done using railroad tie brown and flat black acrylics with my airbrush.

These shells have the incorrect smaller numberboards on them (SP E7's used the larger numberboards that were further forward on the nose), but I didn't change them.  I may still paint the backgrounds black and add numbers....we'll see how ambitious I feel this week......

They run like champs and will look good on the Golden State, Lark, and Cascade that I've built.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Nate Pierce
Modutrak - Wisconsin Division
www.modutrak.com

jpwisc

• Crew
  • Respect: +1970
    • Skally Line Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2024, 09:02:12 PM »
+20
A little more progress on the Pueblo Depot
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Karl
CEO of the WC White Pine Sub, an Upper Peninsula Branch Line.

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1637
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2024, 10:34:16 PM »
One of the more important and distinctive trains in my modeling era were Geneva Steel taconite trains that ran from the Minntac plant in northern Minnesota to the Geneva Steel Mill in Utah. These trains were operated by the UP until the early 1990’s when the Wisconsin Central and Southern Pacific teamed up to win the contract. They ran via Chicago and through Wisconsin until they reached the last part on the Duluth, Missabe and Iron Range to load. While they ran with all kinds of SP/DRGW/WC power, the most common were new SP GE’s; first the 8100-series C44-9W’s and then the AC4400CW’s when they were delivered. Thanks to the recent arrival from ScaleTrains, I have new trio to power these trains on my layout.

That’s a very interesting bridge!

Craig

BCRail_FSJ

• Crew
  • Respect: +531
    • Trying to model the BCR Fort St John BC (again)...while living in Australia (what could possibly go wrong?)
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2024, 11:02:12 PM »
+11
First track is being laid at the south end of Beatton River, including the delicate art of N scale superelevation..

Attempting Canadian prototype modelling in Australia

British Columbia Fort St John Subdivision
https://nscalefortstjohnsub.wordpress.com

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5544
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2024, 11:46:21 PM »
+12
Had fun displaying and running the Newport and Rock Falls layout at the Cumberland Train Show, hosted by the Maryland and West Virginia Model Railroad Club.

Then spent all day Sunday properly installing the Wye tracks on the Hi Rail layout.

Torture tested the new trackwork with LRV 2652, the extra finicky Atlas 2
2-8-8-2.

Success!  Now to properly wire up the TTrak yard and build the control box.
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net