Author Topic: New run Kato NW-2.  (Read 2423 times)

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1133
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
New run Kato NW-2.
« on: May 03, 2024, 11:47:16 AM »
+2
Kato has announced a new run of the NW-2 with exiting new road names (just kidding of course).  BN, UP, ATSF, but they are offering sound versions now.

Here's the Facebook announcement.  I don't see anything on the website yet.

https://www.facebook.com/officialkatousainc/videos/425810816731878

They are on the website now as well:

https://katousa.com/n-nw2/

Jason
« Last Edit: May 03, 2024, 10:30:50 PM by wcfn100 »

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4690
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: New run Kato NW-2.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2024, 12:54:04 PM »
+1
Excellent!

First question that comes to mind is whether they fixed the slipping gear issue?  I have my doubts, but one never knows.  They have addressed problems in other models (like GS-4 and Mikado), so at least there is some hope.  Another positive thing is that more spare parts should  become available again.
. . . 42 . . .

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +435
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2024, 01:38:43 PM »
+3
They've really got an NW2 switching stack trains in that video.  I guess they know their market.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +1014
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2024, 01:44:18 PM »
+3
Didn't they already do their NW-2 in ATSF Blue and Yellow?  I have only 2 words to say about this....

ZEBRA STRIPES
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

eja

• Crew
  • Respect: +204
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2024, 02:39:39 PM »
I seriously doubt the sound version will produce a sound anything like that heard in the video !

Cory Rothlisberger

• Crew
  • Respect: +112
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2024, 04:12:06 PM »
+4
Kind of felt like I was watching an episode of Thomas the Tank Engine the way those things were moving and smashing those well cars around...

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +541
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2024, 04:38:56 PM »
Kind of felt like I was watching an episode of Thomas the Tank Engine the way those things were moving and smashing those well cars around...

Yeah, the operator seemed to be in full highball mode.  :D

jwaldo

• Respect: +8
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2024, 05:35:14 PM »
+1
I seriously doubt the sound version will produce a sound anything like that heard in the video !

If it's anything like the BLI SW/NWs it will be respectable but on the quiet side. And that's about all I'd expect from a loco that size unless they sacrifice half the weight for a freakishly huge sound chamber.

Either way it's a non-issue for me unless they add a Southern Pacific or undecorated release.

ATSF_Ron

• Crew
  • Respect: +192
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2024, 06:10:14 PM »
+3
I’d also like an SP version, preferably tiger stripe.  However, I’ll be happy with a Santa Fe since I don’t have any.

Tom L

• Crew
  • Respect: +496
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2024, 06:56:07 PM »
+1
Nice, I’ll get one to re-paint or get an undec shell when they hit the parts store.  Website says new mech. and motor. 

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Tom L
Wellington CO

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +1822
    • My website
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2024, 07:39:59 PM »
+3
Remember....
If you have one that runs terrible now... there is a fix.
The current design flaws can be corrected.

https://u18b.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/04/NW2-Manual-Kato-pdf.pdf
Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4690
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2024, 08:33:07 PM »
+1
Ah, new motor and mechanism likely means that they will be using one of their coreless motors.  Nice!  Nice to see them considering DCC-friendliness.  I think they are finally getting the clue.

Speaking of new motors, whatever happened with that Kato pole-less (or was it commutator-less) motor that was all the rage some time ago?
. . . 42 . . .

Jim Starbuck

• Crew
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2024, 09:16:03 PM »
+2
I’m glad Kato is reworking their model and I’m very much looking forward to seeing the new mechanism.
Maybe they’ll use a slim coreless motor like Bachmann did with their now discontinued model 10 years ago. The Bachmann in my experience is the finest running N Scale switcher ever made once the stock decoder is replaced. Again, my experience. YMMV
Also, the Bachmann NW2 isn’t particularly difficult to put sound in either. I did one 3 years ago and suspect Kato’s new version will be of similar layout.
I was never a fan of the Kato NW2. I’ve had two purchased new and sold them both because even after much fiddling and following Ron’s techniques, could never get them to acceptably quiet. I bought one off EBay cheap a couple months ago which was listed as non running for parts or repair. Turned out to run beautifully and absolutely silent after just a wheel cleaning.
At any rate, a new end cab switcher is always welcome.
Modutrak Iowa Division
Modutrak.com
Better modeling through peer pressure

crrcoal

• Crew
  • Respect: +80
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2024, 10:15:09 AM »
Wish they did more roads. For the sound units, is Kelley Duford doing the work?

JeffB

• Crew
  • Respect: +169
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2024, 10:48:08 AM »
I’m glad Kato is reworking their model and I’m very much looking forward to seeing the new mechanism.
Maybe they’ll use a slim coreless motor like Bachmann did with their now discontinued model 10 years ago. The Bachmann in my experience is the finest running N Scale switcher ever made once the stock decoder is replaced. Again, my experience. YMMV
Also, the Bachmann NW2 isn’t particularly difficult to put sound in either. I did one 3 years ago and suspect Kato’s new version will be of similar layout.
I was never a fan of the Kato NW2. I’ve had two purchased new and sold them both because even after much fiddling and following Ron’s techniques, could never get them to acceptably quiet. I bought one off EBay cheap a couple months ago which was listed as non running for parts or repair. Turned out to run beautifully and absolutely silent after just a wheel cleaning.
At any rate, a new end cab switcher is always welcome.

Generally...  Any mechanism that drives through a spur gear on the motor shaft is going to be prone to being noisy. 

It'll be interesting to see what the "redesigned mechanism" entails...  Are they going to a more conventional design, or is it more or less just going to be a redesign to fit a new (coreless) motor into the existing mechanism, still driving through spur gears off the motor shaft.

Fitting sound to one of these little buggers is going to be interesting, though guys are doing it to the N scale 44 tonners, so I suppose it can't be that difficult.

Jeff