Author Topic: MBK alert - open auto racks cheap  (Read 1717 times)

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +541
MBK alert - open auto racks cheap
« on: December 30, 2009, 10:08:38 PM »
I just picked up a PRR triple and a PC double.

Priced as low as $14.99. 8)

Mark

Bruce Bird

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
Re: MBK alert - open auto racks cheap
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 12:58:17 AM »
Hey- only 26 copies of the WM troop sleepers in aluminum.  That'd be 25 more than existed in real life and 26 more than what actually ran down the rails.  If they would knock a couple more bucks off they could be used for repaint fodder.

ai5629

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 12:58:16 PM »
I thought these were very nicely done cars (aside from the ride height), so I am surprised they do not sell that well.  The fully enclosed racks seem to do very well, but the open ones not so.  Maybe there are not that many guys who model the late 60's through the early 80's (open racks) compared to those who model the late 80's to the present (fully enclosed racks).  I always wanted to model some open Conrail racks with the sheet metal plates added to them to protect the cargo.  I seem to remember an artical in Model Railroader about someone adding these panels to an 89' Bachmann open auto rack, so it would seem doable.  But those are way down the list of cars I need.  These were pretty common on Conrail on the Pittsburgh and Conemaugh Lines during the era I model, summer 1984.  Thanks.
Jeff Lopez

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2293
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 01:30:26 PM »
There are plenty of guys who model the '60-'80 period for the open racks. The problem is the overwhelming lack of period-specific automobile models to fill those racks with, and, if you can find them, the justification for spending $80-100 just to fill one. So $100+ for a single railcar model, when all is said and done? When the prototype ran (and still runs) huge blocks of 'em? Ugh... painful wallet time.  :-\

christoph

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 01:58:18 PM »
Yesterday I bought a bag full of Wiking Chevrolet Malibus, my local dealer is selling a collection.
The cars look good on the MTL car, but now it is a bit too high with the cars on the upper deck. I should probably add some paint to the cars (grille, tires), and then work on the overhead clearance at that on place.  Might change the whole town there.
Christoph

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +541
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 03:07:43 PM »
For now I run them empty (they ran empty half the time anyway?).

My fleet is complete now (including one PRR that will be re-done in N&W - I am 110% certain MT will never release these in N&W). I'd like to lower them, and add some Ford Pintos or Mavericks eventually. :P

BTW, the fully enclosed racks started in the late 1970s, not late 1980s. Most of the open racks had corrugated "shields" added to the sides by the late 1970s.

Mark
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 03:12:38 PM by NandW »

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 03:42:37 PM »
For now I run them empty (they ran empty half the time anyway?).

My fleet is complete now (including one PRR that will be re-done in N&W - I am 110% certain MT will never release these in N&W). I'd like to lower them, and add some Ford Pintos or Mavericks eventually. :P

BTW, the fully enclosed racks started in the late 1970s, not late 1980s. Most of the open racks had corrugated "shields" added to the sides by the late 1970s.

Mark

If you add Ford Pintos, make damn sure nothing runs into the rear of that train!

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +462
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 05:58:26 PM »
Man not the only thing he's got cheep! Lt moutains for $50! I'm getting one, I don't care if some people think they are dogs, I'll tinker with it for $50!

Happy new year BTW, as of now it is 2010 in germany!
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)