Author Topic: Re-weathering  (Read 2090 times)

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8647
Re-weathering
« on: December 28, 2008, 12:17:05 AM »
Ever learn a new modeling technique and wished you could go back and re-do something you'd already done?  You can!

Some years ago I purchased this nicely detailed Intermountain 40' PRR boxcar.  I weathered it following a photograph in a book, building up layers of pastel chalks and Dullcote.  I never much cared for how it came out (too splotchy).  I tried to mimic the effect of a yard worker wiping the car number at a hump (a common occurance before the advent of the Automated Car Information system).  Overall, didn't much like it:

Well, one wonderful thing about Dullcote is that is can be removed with 70% isopropyl alcohol without damaging the underlying finish.  I slathered on the alcohol and wiped the car down with a stiff brush, removing most of the weathering and Dullcote.  The result is a fine haze that will disappear with a new cote of Dullcote.

Aftr a new coat of Dullcote, I re-weathered the car using washes made of acrylic craft paints, basic windshield washer fluid, and water.  One of my favorite techniques is one I learned from Rich Yourstone, and that's the scrapes from the sliding door.  If the door opens (as it does in this case), just dab some thick dark rust colored paint on the backside of the door and slide it back and forth.

A few more shots in a train:

These closeups also indicate to me that the roofwalk is warped.

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
Re: Re-weathering
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 02:39:58 AM »
Nice job Dave! Your second attempt is a great improvement. I haven't tried the acrylic/windshield washer technique yet. I will have to give that a try soon. As for the doors scrape technique, do you just add the paint to the back of the door through the opening on the other side?

Best wishes,
Dave
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 02:42:31 AM by Dave Schneider »
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2936
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 08:17:39 AM »
Great tip .. there are some cars from our defunct weathering contests that I want to re-do some day

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8647
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 09:56:49 AM »
Nice job Dave! Your second attempt is a great improvement. I haven't tried the acrylic/windshield washer technique yet. I will have to give that a try soon. As for the doors scrape technique, do you just add the paint to the back of the door through the opening on the other side?

Best wishes,
Dave

Correct!  Rich Yourstone did an article for N Scale Railroading a few years ago explaining the whole technique, including which craft paints to use.  But yes, you open the opposite door, and then reach through and paint the back of the other door.  This is a great technique for MicroTrains, whose doors not only open but flop open when you don't want them to...!

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6786
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 10:14:35 AM »
This is a great technique for MicroTrains, whose doors not only open but flop open when you don't want them to...!

That's why I use Scotch Tape on the inside of my MT box cars to keep the doors "sealed."   :)  Nice job on the weathering, Dave.  I have just got to get around to start weathering my fleet, but, being color blind, I fear the worst.

Dave Foxx

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5541
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 01:17:56 PM »
Especially since you model the C&O!  The dirt was holding most of their fleet together!
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6786
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 01:41:47 PM »
Especially since you model the C&O!  The dirt was holding most of their fleet together!
Lee

I thought it was the rust holding it together.  :P

Dave

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!