Author Topic: Layout Thoughts... What if...  (Read 8351 times)

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8142
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Layout Thoughts... What if...
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2009, 10:45:44 AM »
I was listening to the ModelRailCast from a few weeks ago, and Steve Benezra was talking about his LARGE layout. He said something that I think is very applicable here (I apologize for minor misquoting though, since I'm not going to get it exact).

"When there's something on the layout that I'm not happy with, I tear it out and redo it. I know guys will have something they're unhappy with, but won't change, and 5 years later, they're still unhappy."
MRC: http://modelrailcast.com/MrcBlog/Show57.asp

I've adopted this philosophy myself lately. Witness the back side of my layout that now has a yard on it. I wasn't happy with what was there, so I just dove in and did something about it.

I think, if there's something about the current layout that you're not happy with, don't dwell on it, just attack it.

I've long thought about trying to build a "single scene" layout. One that's just something like a single CP (control point, or tower for you non-CR people). Feed it well with staging, and it could be quite fun. What I'm seeing you thinking about doing is something similar, but maybe going to two or three scenes. I think it'd be worth at least planning out.

amato1969

• Crew
  • Respect: +831
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2009, 12:15:27 PM »
Ed's onto something here, and in my case I am building something close.  With young children, I don't have the full basement to myself, so I am building two "LDEs" -- Phillipsburg, NJ and the Delaware River bridge at Easton, PA.

Someday with more room, I'll add on...  But for now, my "surround" staging behind the backdrop feeds these two scenes.

Frank

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5522
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2009, 01:29:43 PM »
I just played hookey for a bit this morning, and did a little spectatin' on the staging situation.

Maybe?  Yellow is Connellsville staging, with red line being the Connellsville sub main, which will fix the pinched curve at Ohiopyle.  The Thomas Sub main would stay more or less intact, with a switch to access the Elkins staging yard.  The two staging yards would be separated by about 3" of elevation, and could be scenicked in to finish the peninsula.

This would correct the two most significant problems with operating the layout.  Functional west end staging for both Elkins and Connellsville, and opening up the curve on the Connellsville sub to allow me to run my auto racks and other longer cars.

And don't worry, there's still plenty of room for fat guys in the room around the peninsula...

I probably still want to noodle it around a bit, but I think this is generally what I'm after.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2009, 05:25:27 PM »
Lee,

You wrote that the yards would be separated by 3" and could be scenicked.  I presume that this means they are stair-stepped and completely out in the open rather than stacked.  Stacked would be a b*tch to operate with only 3" separating the levels.

Dave

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2009, 10:10:16 PM »
Yes.  Absolutely stair stepped.  It's hard to see in the diagram.  But the yellow yard would project out about 2' from the end of the current peninsula, and the blue yard would be 3" higher, and about 12" deep.  I expect to get a full train length in the A/D tracks, I'd need to wrap around the right side for the run around engine escape.  There would be no engine terminal to speak of, as trains would basically enter the yard, then re-set for the return trip east.  I doubt there would ever be more than two trains occupying these west end yards at a time.

L
Rockin' It Old School

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2933
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2009, 05:13:29 PM »

"When there's something on the layout that I'm not happy with, I tear it out and redo it. I know guys will have something they're unhappy with, but won't change, and 5 years later, they're still unhappy."

This has been my philosophy for a long time

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2009, 07:43:28 PM »
Regrettably, my time and money budgets don't provide for major overhauls.  I also have a pretty limited space to work with, so anything I do is going to be planned to death, to make sure I don't create more problems than I'm solving...

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Bruce Bird

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2009, 11:25:01 PM »
Lee,

I like the plan.  Definitely keep the staging yards out in the open as it makes operating MUCH easier- especially if you are going to re-stage and re-enter the layout.  It looks like it would be an easy change to make.  I say go ahead and do it.  If it doesn't work, you can always change it again and you won't be out a lot of effort and you won't have down time from running trains!

Before I re-designed and re-did my WM I had the opportunity to operate on a very nice N scale NKP layout that was based around the yard at Bellevue and modeled traffic to Buffalo and St. Louis.  The action around the big yard in the center of the layout dealing with the through trains and the locals both east and west was a very enjoyable 'operational model' to follow, and I basically set my WM up to the same specs.  The vast majority of the action will be around Hagerstown and the east end, with the west end centered around the climb up the Alleghanies and the Gray Turn.  I do have the line to Elkins on the plan but it is not built yet- and I can still model the traffic from Elkins out of my modest yard at Ridgley.  In essence the line to Elkins will act like a 'mini layout' within the bigger layout.  If you ever decide to completely gut the layout and redo it, try to decide what kind of operation model you want to follow.  As you know, the WM is a GREAT railroad to model operationally!

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2009, 11:47:40 PM »
So, let me get this straight, Bruce...  You've got Hagerstown and the east end, the Connellsville Sub, and the line to Elkins...  Tell me, what did you do with the dairy cows after you evicted them from the barn you're using for a layout room!? :o

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +67
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2009, 08:38:22 AM »
So, let me get this straight, Bruce...  You've got Hagerstown and the east end, the Connellsville Sub, and the line to Elkins...  Tell me, what did you do with the dairy cows after you evicted them from the barn you're using for a layout room!? :o

Lee

Can we say Road-Trip?

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2009, 04:49:39 PM »

This has been my philosophy for a long time

No yours is take out the entire layout, and start over...same as mine!
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2933
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2009, 05:21:49 PM »
I have a couple of sections that I didn't rebuild :)

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2009, 06:09:12 PM »
I have a couple of sections that I didn't rebuild :)

The two staging loops you had at the bottom of the stairs dont count.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

Bruce Bird

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2009, 09:00:14 PM »
Hey, no cows out here in Illinois.  Just lots of corn......

I'll see if I can get a scan of the layout up tonight.  The layout is in the basement and the overall room size is 24' x 42'.

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2009, 09:06:24 PM »
I'll get my drool bucket and a change of drawers ready... :D
Lee
Rockin' It Old School