Author Topic: New Bluford Shops "Dented" Gondolas  (Read 2633 times)

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +1014
Re: New Bluford Shops "Dented" Gondolas
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2024, 04:43:18 PM »
Very creative.  I love the idea of this, and sorry they are too old for my era.  If they (or someone else) do some modern gons similarly, my wallet is going to be thinner.  From the artwork, it appears that weathering is also included, which of course, makes sense.

I also vaguely remember that it is possible to "dent" gons using a low temp hair dryer or something similar.  My brother did that way back when and I think it worked out, but it seems dangerous to me now!
'Distressing' freight cars seemed much easier, back in the day when they cost $2 to $4.  Yeah, I know...inflation... But still...my sensibilities just won't let me take a soldering iron to a $35 model.  Not to mention, back in the old days of $2 freight cars, I had a Weller soldering iron that cost probably 12 bucks and you could hammer nails with it.  The one I use now, that my son the electronics engineer gave me, with its electronic heat control and micro soldering tips....I just don't see using it to abuse thermoplastics.

As to the inflation... in the day of the $2 freight car, the cost of 2 freight cars would buy lunch for 2 at McDonalds.  The cost of a couple freight cars nowadays is a fairly nice dinner for 2 at my wife's favorite restaurant, including a couple drinks and a fairly generous tip.  Just sayin'.  In economics, that is an example of 'opportunity cost.'  I recommend taking your spouse to dinner the night before your next shipment of $30+/ea freight cars arrives.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1337
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2024, 02:22:29 AM »
+5
In the days of $2 freight cars, they weren't nearly as nice.  About the same as comparing McD's to "your wife's favorite restaurant"!

Just for starters, even if one accepts the body casting, today we would want knuckle couplers (add cost of a pair of KD 1025s), probably paint the roofwalk and brakewheel (time, if one has the matching paint), and possibly trucks that would actually roll, and stay on the track (add cost of replacement (KD?) trucks).  That $2 freight car, even back then, could easily reach three to four dollars, by the time it was a "good" car for the time.
N Kalanaga
Be well

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8148
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2024, 11:51:48 AM »
+1
In the days of $2 freight cars, they weren't nearly as nice.  About the same as comparing McD's to "your wife's favorite restaurant"!

Just for starters, even if one accepts the body casting, today we would want knuckle couplers (add cost of a pair of KD 1025s), probably paint the roofwalk and brakewheel (time, if one has the matching paint), and possibly trucks that would actually roll, and stay on the track (add cost of replacement (KD?) trucks).  That $2 freight car, even back then, could easily reach three to four dollars, by the time it was a "good" car for the time.

Man, I wish I could've written that a million times a few years ago when people were complaining about $20 freight cars. I love it.

But now in the world of $50 freight cars... hmm

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1539
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2024, 12:05:42 PM »
+2
Man, I wish I could've written that a million times a few years ago when people were complaining about $20 freight cars. I love it.

But now in the world of $50 freight cars... hmm

We N scalers want what the HO crowd has, but at old school n scale prices.  Isn't gonna happen.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +1022
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2024, 12:24:16 PM »
All I want are the resin kits HO scalers have!
Oh and Sergent engineering couplers  :D
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2024, 01:23:09 PM »
+1

I must have stated my thinking poorly...which was, simply, taking a soldering iron to an 1970s era Bachmann or Lifelike car was much easier for me, psychologically, than doing the same to a current production, and as you note, highly detailed car.  I appreciate that Bluford is doing it for me- so I don't have to worry about screwing it up and ruining a $30+ model.  Cost of the models aside, I am having a hard time bringing myself to weather some current production models, because the paint is so nice and I worry about making a mess of things or breaking off details.  Including the restaurant comparison was just my apparently failed effort at humor. 
Tom D.

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +462
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2024, 03:31:46 PM »
+2
thought I was safe this time around... then those GN units...... *Sigh*, *Opens Wallet*
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1539
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2024, 04:02:08 PM »
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +1003
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2024, 06:18:27 PM »
Just ordered 7 (6 NKP, one NYC) from Hobbysmith in Portland.
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3165
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2024, 07:09:56 PM »
Is Mainline taking pre-orders?

I'm sure we are.  I work this weekend, I'll check on any pre-order discounts etc

greenwizard88

• Crew
  • Respect: +60
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2024, 11:26:52 PM »
Well that is 6 CR cars for me. Now I have to find a place to pre-order them. I haven't used a hobby shop since MBK closed.

Any chance the heavily dented cars would have bowed cords? This was common on older CR cars.
Model Train Stuff is online again. They're in some pre-launch state, but it looks like they will eventually have a spot to pre-order things.

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +287
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2024, 06:10:58 AM »
Did these gons haul anything else beside steel mill products?

PRRS

• Respect: +2
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2024, 06:39:38 AM »
Really wish I hadn't clicked on this topic...my poor wallet.

HogTrainz has these up for pre-order as well.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2024, 09:40:57 AM »
Did these gons haul anything else beside steel mill products?
Yes.

Anything long and skinny. Telephone poles, wood dock pilings, fabricated trusses in wood or steel, concrete beams.

Anything that could be lifted out with a crane- such as various containers, large concrete or steel castings.

Although a drop bottom car would be more usual, there are photos of mill gons loaded with sand or coal or trash.

Many railroads modified mill gons with racks or devices for particular cargos- see this month's MTL offerings for car frame loads (although for their shortie war emergency gon, not the Bluford car).

Generally, steel mill products going out, scrap metal coming in.  But, in many other cases, anything that would fit, and did not need a roof over it. Until many railroads modified them by putting roofs over them.
Tom D.

Jesse6669

• Crew
  • Respect: +1211
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2024, 10:04:25 AM »
+1
Also, MOW service, ie dirt from ditchers, crossties (new or scrap)..