Author Topic: Kato FEF review  (Read 10212 times)

oakcreekco

• Crew
  • Respect: +133
Re: Kato FEF review
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2015, 03:57:34 PM »
Thanks for your reply and input. IMO, there's so many variables that can either lengthen or shorten motor life. I really don't have any expectations, because a few hours running, once a month, will be generally considered a long time to failure by most.

On the other hand, someone who runs 8-10 hours at a time, several times a week, will see an eventual failure earlier, if all is the same on that motor.

I've probably have around 10 hours of run time with mine, pulling an 11 car Kato CZ set right now. This Kato set of mine doesn't roll as freely as the El Capitan set that I have, for whatever reason. Bottom line, she pulls it well and smoothly.

I might be getting a little more gear noise right now, than out of the box doing the same, but it's still quieter than vitually any of my diesel units.

I may open it up and check what the worm gear lube looks like. If this is now the "broken in" noise level that it will have, I still rate this a 10+ for everything.

Thanks again.
A "western modeler" that also runs NS.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4698
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2015, 04:23:14 PM »
Won't the standard passenger car / loco motive plastic box work????? Or are all of their plastic boxes out of stock?

Not for what I am intending to do. To still have some protection for the model I like to retain the vacuu-formed cradle (just discard the large foam rubber frame and cardboard. To do that I need a GS-4 jewel box (which it longer, wider, and thicker than the passenger casr boxes.
. . . 42 . . .

oakcreekco

• Crew
  • Respect: +133
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2015, 05:16:49 PM »
You can use the jewel case from the FEF Water Bottles, not sure if this case is used on anything else.

The vacuu formed cradle would have to cut at both ends, through the indents for holding them together. Might be an option for you, might not :D
A "western modeler" that also runs NS.

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +1822
    • My website
« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2015, 01:32:37 AM »
I don't own an FEF, but I'll through my 2 cents in on the box issue.

The box design is about identical to the one Atheran uses on the Challenger I have.

Personally, I like it.  Secure and safe.
Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4698
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2015, 02:11:14 AM »
I don't own an FEF, but I'll through my 2 cents in on the box issue.

The box design is about identical to the one Atheran uses on the Challenger I have.

Personally, I like it.  Secure and safe.

Just about the same as apples and oranges.  Both are fruit.  :)  The only similarity is the 2-piece vacuu-formed loco cradle.  In the Athearn box the model (n that cradle) can be easily taken out after opening the cover and removing the top foam sheet.  The foam is also quite soft which will nicely cushion the model in case it is abused.  The foam stays inside the box.  Nothign falls apart. The box itself is also made from very sturdy cardboard.

In the Kato box (as I shown in the photos) you have to open the side panel and slide out the cardboard tray inside. Then to get to the vacuu-formed cradle and to the loco you have to first remove the clear plastic window then the top foam frame and the middle foam frame. The entire multi-piece plastic-foam-cardboard affair kind of falls apart.  Since you didn't actually play this box personally, you don't seem to realize that it is quite awkward to deal with. Not very Kato-like design.  Plus the cardboard is not every sturdy and the foam itself is also quite stiff (probably not very good at cushioning). But I'm not going to drop the box to find out.  :D

Personally I don't care for any oversize box for my N scale models. After all  I like the small size of the model - why should the box be extra large?  My storage space is at premium.  To be honest I don't really like the Athearn Big Boy/Challenger and IM AC-12 boxes eyther. but at least they are easier to deal with then the FEF-3 box.  I realize that I'm anal, but that is just how I am. Like one of the other TRW members signature shows "it is all about the jewel box"!   :)
. . . 42 . . .

strummer

• Crew
  • Respect: +63
« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2015, 10:56:59 PM »
......but it's still quieter than vitually any of my diesel units.

Now that's impressive. I believe you,tho I can't imagine it being quieter,as my Kato engines make no noise anyway!
 What's "quieter" than "silent"?

Mark in Oregon