Author Topic: Conrail Ft. Wayne Line and Lordstown Secondary Layout  (Read 18087 times)

conrail98

• Crew
  • Respect: +40
Re: Conrail Ft. Wayne Line and Lordstown Secondary Layout
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2014, 12:30:12 PM »
Didn't realize I hadn't updated this in a while. I'm continuing around the walls for the platforms. I've put 4 more 8' platforms down.

Canton Yard area:

Massillon area:

Future Republic Steel in Canton area:

Next up is going around the end of the peninsula making the right cuts to join the other table tops, as well as connecting the first set of platforms and the second as there's a 1" rise up to them so I need to make sure the platforms are are the right heights when they join so the foam risers are even with the edge,

Phil
- Phil

conrail98

• Crew
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2014, 01:52:39 PM »
Haven't update in a while due to family things, like our 3rd addition the end of October and a magnetic ballast that decided to melt in one of my shop lights. They were all hard wired in so I spent time wiring up outlets and then placing the lights around the layout room to maximize light for both the layout and the small area where our refrigerator is. That took me most of October to finish/complete. In the mean time, I also decided not to do a gate and instead, loop the mainline underneath Canton and back around to the staging area. Unfortunately, I had decided this after already putting the tabletops in with needed rises. So I've spent most of my paternity leave lowering them back down with help from my daughters. I have one more left but today got the Canton side removed and lowered the shelf brackets so I can start laying the track for the run back to staging:

I laid down a 1/2" plywood piece to look at clearances and I have about 4 3/4" clearance, which I think is ok for straight track with now hidden switches or the like:

Now, to go get a 4x4 1/2" plywood piece for the helix base so I know where/how much of the woodland scenic 2% risers to use to lower the main to the hidden platform so I can begin the installation of the track,

Phil
- Phil

conrail98

• Crew
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2014, 02:22:01 PM »
So I started taking down the double-deck benchwork last night. As we move forward with our 3rd kid, we're finding the lack of storage space in our house is becoming an issue, as well as finding time in the basement for me. With time constraints as they are and only going to get more so, I can't see hacking away at a double deck layout. So I'm going to take down the layout as constructed and rebuild a single-level layout at a height that will allow for more shelving and a higher stacking of those rubbermaid storage containers. Nominal height will be around 52" and the basic shape will be one peninsula coming out from the center wall then another coming out from the far wall, kinda G shaped with a branch line along the other wall. I removed the table tops last night and a few of the backdrops this morning,

Phil
- Phil

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
  • Respect: +329
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2015, 12:41:56 PM »
So I started taking down the double-deck benchwork last night. As we move forward with our 3rd kid, we're finding the lack of storage space in our house is becoming an issue, as well as finding time in the basement for me. With time constraints as they are and only going to get more so, I can't see hacking away at a double deck layout. So I'm going to take down the layout as constructed and rebuild a single-level layout at a height that will allow for more shelving and a higher stacking of those rubbermaid storage containers. Nominal height will be around 52" and the basic shape will be one peninsula coming out from the center wall then another coming out from the far wall, kinda G shaped with a branch line along the other wall. I removed the table tops last night and a few of the backdrops this morning,

Phil

Props to you Phil for knowing what you can accomplish in building your pike.  Lots of folks have the desire for an huge layout but poop out because they find out the time/financial commitment so daunting in order to actually getting one to a point where it could be considered semi-finished.  I'd rather see a semi-finished smaller layout than a partially-built plywood-prairie that languishes... I would think that it's more enjoyable for the layout owner also.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 01:59:27 PM by MichaelWinicki »

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6787
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2015, 01:58:41 PM »
I think the new plan is wise for the reasons you stated.  In decades of model railroading, I've learned my limitations and building a room-sized layout is beyond my abilities.  I've limited myself to a layout built out of two 36" x 80" HCDs and an 18" x 80" HCD.  That's just about as far as I will go, with the exception of possible staging.  Peer pressure has attempted to make me turn my layout into the core of a room-sized layout, but I don't want the expense or maintenance of that.  I can appreciate the huge layouts that I have been lucky enough to operate on (Lee Weldon's, seusscaboose's, and John's), and I envy those modelers' abilities.  It's not in the cards for me, and I am really satisfied knowing I'm not biting off more than I can chew.  I've got plenty to keep me busy.  I think you can be satisfied with a single level layout.

DFF
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 06:40:48 PM by davefoxx »

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

conrail98

• Crew
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2015, 09:41:05 AM »
Yeah, I was close to tracklaying on the lower level, I just realized it took me a while to get to that point and I hadn't touched the top level yet. I admire your work on your HCDs Dave, but I also know you're a relatively lone-wolf modeler and while the guys you mentioned operate, I got the feeling it wasn't consistent. I know, for me, I'd probably get tired of a small HCD layout sooner rather then later based on a regular operating experience in a Friday night group,

Phil
- Phil

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8156
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2015, 06:33:31 PM »
I applaud this direction and development.

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1559
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2015, 09:32:20 PM »
One Phil with 3 small kids to another - this is definitely the way to go.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

conrail98

• Crew
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2015, 10:30:18 AM »
Thanks guys. I almost did this once before but was actually talked out of it by my wife. This also gives me a chance to clean out the basement again, vacuum up all the dirt and any dust lingering around where boxes and stuff were,

Phil
- Phil

conrail98

• Crew
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2015, 10:35:50 AM »
Now that everything's been taken down, I've reached out to a couple of the guys who do layout planning to assist with a new plan. In the meantime, I'm looking at 2 HCDs I replaced recently and thinking I should do something with them,

Phil
- Phil

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2015, 11:37:33 AM »
I agree. Build now!

Is there any itch that the big layout won't scratch? Something you might want to try out before going "full scale"?

Might make sense to tackle those in the interim in the smaller format.

conrail98

• Crew
« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2015, 11:48:43 AM »
I agree. Build now!

Is there any itch that the big layout won't scratch? Something you might want to try out before going "full scale"?

Might make sense to tackle those in the interim in the smaller format.

I would like to do something along coal/appalachia area and I'm not really doing that with the area I've selected as the prototype/inspiration. I've got 2 30x80 and 1 24x80 available to me to use so it could even be a setup, roll around type deal if needed. Don't need to use all but have them available,

Phil
- Phil

conrail98

• Crew
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2015, 11:55:36 AM »
And after getting the latest LDJ with MC's Paper Mill articles, I was actually thinking of an integrated steel mill on the 24x80 door if I could figure it all out. It would obviously be an extension of one of the other doors,

Phil
- Phil

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2015, 12:16:53 PM »
I would like to do something along coal/appalachia area and I'm not really doing that with the area I've selected as the prototype/inspiration.

South Fork, and that area?
Maybe the Reading Cluster?
http://thecrhs.org/OnLocationWithConrail/HardCoalCountry

conrail98

• Crew
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2015, 12:28:11 PM »
South Fork, and that area?
Maybe the Reading Cluster?
http://thecrhs.org/OnLocationWithConrail/HardCoalCountry

Possibly, my coal experience is the West End, was never much into Conrail's coal ops, only realizing it's extent after the fact. Have also been looking through some of the old door plans DKS did for Ian and Ntrainz1 (Bob),

Phil
- Phil