Author Topic: Galesburg "City Job"  (Read 51772 times)

w neal

• Crew
  • Respect: +483
Re: Galesburg "City Job"
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2016, 05:24:27 PM »
Referring to the previous post, here is some irony. While having discussions on the ballast color for Jim's "C,B,&Q" modules, it was revealed that the tracks to the far side of his modules may have actually been owned by the Santa Fe.  :o  It appears that the "Q" was granted trackage rights for access to Butler manufacturing (the large industry on his "farthest" module). That would explain the set of crossbucks that had the words "Santa Fe" stenciled on it (as a lot of them did in that era) on one of his modeled areas. That is to say, it was located about when the tracks curve onto his modules. I think it still stands there today even.

"Justice"  :D

An interesting note: It appears that some of those tracks that accessed Butler manufacturing hint at having their origins in some former interurban mainlines. Who cares? Well, it means that some of the tracks we are modeling had interurban origins. I will have to post some info on this later...
I love doing historical railroad research. One just never knows what one will find...

« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 05:26:50 PM by w neal »
Buffering...

w neal

• Crew
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2016, 01:58:23 PM »
From my research, it appears that this trackage was known as G.I. (Galesburg Industrial). I believe it may be referred to as that even today. It appears they were indeed mostly Santa Fe owned tracks. The "Q" job that was dispatched from the nearby massive Galesburg yards was known as working the "City Job".

More history later...

Buffering...

w neal

• Crew
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2016, 08:02:43 PM »
While doing some "prototype research" last year, we discovered this item. This (apparently old) flange oiler lies along the "mainline" of the City Job on "my modules", or the northern end. It is no surprise. There is more than one sharp curve found along this line. To me, this is a good reminder why it is always a good idea to visit the actual location you are trying to simulate, even if it has been years after the era you are modeling. A small detail like this is really not easily seen on something like Google Earth or the like. If not for a visit, I would have missed it. As I am currently adding some detail to the tracks, I am looking forward to adding an otherwise unnoticed detail like this. It will be small and barely noticeable to most, but I know it will be there.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 10:57:10 AM by w neal »
Buffering...

w neal

• Crew
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2016, 06:40:14 AM »
Not a lot to report although I have been at work (in small chunks) on the modules this week in anticipation of the next show in a couple weeks. Nothing fancy, just more cast off ties etc. I did add a few trackside details. The big thing was getting the ballast weathered - in some places rather severely.

Ok, a few bad pics...

Here is step one in my representation of the flange oiler along the "mainline". While I failed to post a picture of this, a battery box was in the near vicinity of the oiler. I had to prop it up on "stilts" to match the profile of the ballast (as this was an after thought). I plan to ballast around it to hide the stilts.

A better "as the crow flies" shot of the "wye module" to show the weathering of the track. I sprayed some light coats of black along the mainline. Also hit the one area with some mud color (looks like I need to hit it again maybe). Trying to simulate places where the mud seeps up from the flexing of the track as a train passes here. The fresh ballast just looked too "happy" to me. I like things just a little used looking. A few tie bits, some road weathering, a few tall grass patches. Still needed; road markings, gravel next to the road, trees, bushes, a house on the right. UGH! So much more to be done... but thats the fun part.

A shot of the Monmouth Boulevard crossing area. Again, so much more to be done...

'Eres the end opposite of the above on the same module. Gravel needed next to the roadway, etc., etc....

Now its off to Jim's place to help him cope with ballast & advise on scenery...

Those lines from the Genesis song come to mind;

"Leaving my family behind me, knowing what lay ahead" or "Driving the last spike, lifting and laying the track"

Or was it "ballasting carefully, trying not to sneeze at the track" "Tapping the grass master lightly, stooping over -  wrenching my back"

No, wait its...
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 12:09:20 PM by w neal »
Buffering...

wpsnts

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2016, 12:45:54 PM »
w neal,
I've enjoyed following the progress of Jim' and your's project.
I hope to make it to Galesburg RR Days again this year. Are you guys planning to be there?

Dave
wpsnts
Dave

w neal

• Crew
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2016, 11:04:59 AM »
Yes, we call it our "Homecoming Weekend". The Galesburg train show is in a new location this year (not at the college) so there will be some "growing pains" as we all adjust to the new space. So far, we have been promised room to set up. I should publish our schedule...

Buffering...

w neal

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2016, 11:53:59 AM »
Here ya go. Pay us a visit if you like.

Buffering...

w neal

• Crew
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2016, 12:27:26 PM »
The visit to Jim's went fine, although it was an adventure getting home last night. (Dodging storms & tornados in central Indiana. "Crikey! Them cells is huge!")

Like any normal N scaler, Jim was not looking forward to ballasting. Having worked with "real rock ballast" that is closer to scale, I (however foolishly) volunteered to do that work for my friend.

Using the last of my Highball N scale ballast (now a collector's item), I went to work as soon as I got to his place. (Well, maybe after opening an adult beverage). After finding that some of the tracks on his module were indeed of Santa Fe ownership, I continued with the ballast color I had used on my modules. On the tracks that were of CB&Q ownership, a different color was used. The difference was subtle, but noticeable. Only problem, the "Q color" was seemingly of even a finer grade than "my color"! Egads! Well, I tried the best I could. It was frustrating as this finer grade seemed to memorize and preserve every single brush stroke as I shaped it. With ballast this fine, any attempt to bump, tap, or otherwise settle it was ineffective. I guess we'll just have to make sure the lighting is always bright on our layout.

Jim broke me in easy with this first module: Oh, and I introduced him to ground goop or "mud" as well. "Hey mikey, he likes it!"

Then something more complex. I swear I spent 4 hours on this one, no really. This one is only part of the huge Butler Manufacturing complex.

I was not super happy with the shaping between tracks here. Maybe some static grass , weeds, and other detritus will help hide that.

I brought along one of my mods for comparison as we worked.

Well I got through it, and Jim was pleased to have that step done. I introduced him to the pleasures of static grass. I think I converted him. Tee Hee.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 05:30:21 PM by w neal »
Buffering...

wpsnts

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2016, 09:53:48 AM »

Thanks for the update Bill.
I was not aware of the venue change.
Dave

mcjaco

• Crew
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2016, 10:18:05 AM »
Really hoping to make it down to St. Louis this year with Modutrak.  Now that this will be there, all the more reason to really try!

Unless you guys want to try and get into Trainfest????  Hint, hint!
~ Matt

w neal

• Crew
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2016, 12:37:40 PM »

Thanks for the update Bill.
I was not aware of the venue change.

I kinda figured that. I bet most people don't know about the location change. I am glad you do. Hopefully we can all help pass the word. The people running that show are really doing a good job of the Herculean task of keeping the show going.
Buffering...

w neal

• Crew
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2016, 12:47:35 PM »
Really hoping to make it down to St. Louis this year with Modutrak.  Now that this will be there, all the more reason to really try!

Unless you guys want to try and get into Trainfest????  Hint, hint!

If not, we can exchange pleasantries (or is that hurl insults  ;)) at Trainfest again this year, I hope.

I am not sure our little setup is worthy of Trainfest, but it sure would be fun. I hear there is a waiting list. I guess you gotta know somebody. Maybe Naperville. Hint, hint!
Buffering...

w neal

• Crew
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2016, 09:07:34 AM »
A little freight car zen?:

I am enjoying this latest layout venture for many reasons. One of the major aspects for me is rediscovering the "less is more" concept. And part of that, is having a small collection of era appropriate freight cars to deal with at one time. On my larger WC venture, there are essentially too many freight cars to deal with. But here on the City Job layout, available space dictates that only a small fleet of cars is available at one time. I am now able to focus on each one just a little bit more. And somehow, they stand out more. I like that, in our modeled era, they were often used as advertisements of each railroad, unlike the '90s where they were often just containers for commodities. Where space allowed, a railroad's logo was proudly displayed. Sometimes even features of the cars themselves were mentioned on their sides. Also, they were not often covered in graffiti or rust, instead they were often repainted in bright colors. True, even in this era, there should be older freight cars that are dirtier and rustier amongst those that are newer looking - a fact that does not fall on deaf eyes.  ;) I am starting to weather some cars here and there, even the newer cars for this era (although I am not showing it here). I am enjoying how each one just seems to stand out more than they would on a larger layout. Then again, maybe its just me.

P.S. Yes, I see that the Q car has an ACI label. Whups! I pledge not to run that version on this layout - I'll run the one that does NOT have it. ERA POLICE!! ERA POLICE!!

« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 09:11:51 AM by w neal »
Buffering...

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
  • Respect: +608
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2016, 09:29:26 AM »
I somehow missed this thread, and only discovered it yesterday night once I got back to the hotel.
Had I not missed this thread, I'd have made sure to introduce myself at some point over this weekend.
The layout looks great in person! If I end up going to the Ohio N-Scale weekend again next year, I'll be sure to say hello.
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.
Tired.
Fighting to reclaim shreds of the past.

bman

• Crew
  • I gotta have more Conrail!
  • Respect: +160
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2016, 09:52:50 AM »
Followed (lurked) this thread just enough to notice it was at the show being set up on Friday at the show.  I knew there was some sort of switching layout going to be there from pre-show discussions at the club.  I just didn't put 2+2 together until then.  It was nice to put faces with the work and talk with you guys.  It's coming along nicely and I am looking forward to seeing it again next year and see what progress you've made.  Thanks for making the trip over.