Author Topic: Anyone body mounted couplers on a WOT 70' baggage car ?  (Read 1169 times)

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
Anyone body mounted couplers on a WOT 70' baggage car ?
« on: October 23, 2013, 09:23:12 PM »
..... If you have what MTL coupler did you use ? I'm trying to use either a 1015 or 1016 and they greatly restrict truck movement. Seems to need a "thinner" coupler box.... Any ideas out there ?

Thanks in advance.
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

BN1970

• Crew
  • Respect: +4
Re: Anyone body mounted couplers on a WOT 70' baggage car ?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 10:14:06 PM »
Yes, I have body mounted several of WofT 70' baggage cars, using a MT 1025. --Brian

Puddington

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 01:15:54 PM »
Ok.... I'm losing it... I have tried a pair of 1025's and they are still interfering with the wheels.... what am I missing here.... ? Brian... ? Bueller.... Bueller... anybody !!!!!!!!!!! :facepalm:
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

BN1970

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 01:32:59 PM »
The MT 1025 coupler's rear will go under the leading wheel sets axel, which I why I used the 1025 verses a MT 1015.  On my WOT 70' baggage cars the axel does not touch the MT 1025 coupler's.  I'll send a photo to Rapido.  Unfortunately I have no place to post on-line so I can't attach anything to this post, sorry. --Brian

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1954
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 02:24:45 PM »
Brian, are you saying the 1025's, being narrower toward the back then the rectangular 1015's, don't interfere with truck swing? What kind of radius do you use, because it that works, I may want to body mount mine as well. I do like the fact that the talgo coupler the car comes with has adjustable shank length for optimal spacing between cars.
Otto K.

BN1970

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 05:34:22 PM »
MT 1025's are not as thick and will go under the axel.  On my cars they clear, not by a lot, but enough.

The good thing about Micro Trains couplers is they have quite a number of variations as one type will not always work.  When body mounting you have to sometimes try these different coupler versions.  In some cases you can mix and match parts between the MT different couplers types to come up with a Hybrid coupler. --Brian

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 08:19:36 PM »
What type of curves are you using?  I would think that this might be prohibitive in regards to body mounted couplers.

Puddington

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 08:54:28 PM »
My curves are all wide radius because "da Pud" likes the passenger side of the tracks.... But I just have been bufalo'd by this one .... Going to try Brian's idea!

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2013, 02:08:26 AM »
Sorry Puddy... didn't realize it was you who asked... I KNOW how your curves are...

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1339
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2013, 02:22:13 AM »
Another nice thing about the 1025 is that one can remove part of the box behind the screw for more axle clearance.  As long as there's enough to keep the spring from falling out the coupler will work fine.  in fact, one can remove the entire back wall and the coupler works, gaining another little bit of length.  Just make sure the coupler itself doesn't hit anything.
N Kalanaga
Be well