Author Topic: Weekend Update 4/28/24  (Read 3237 times)

dem34

• Crew
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +1093
Re: Weekend Update 4/28/24
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2024, 11:03:38 PM »
Yeah the walkway has a distinct nipper like cut mark on it. And underframe has a lot of overspray. On most old models the shells were usually painted before attaching to the underframe.
-Al

dem34

• Crew
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +1093
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2024, 11:11:12 PM »
+7
Spent the weekend mostly doing electrical work on my own time. But carved some time out to make this crossing. Because I didn’t like how model railroady the straight line town was shaping up so need a side street to spice things up a little. But was dreading doing anything with how turnout dense the front of the layout is.
Mostly finished

Began with a small template which then was used to mark tape lines.

And got to cutting and whittling. Inspired by the many rough crossings you may trundle over in the hinterlands of rural jersey.
Roads are going to be black styrene. But still debating if they will be painted or utilize the coarse sanding method.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2024, 11:14:17 PM by dem34 »
-Al

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1336
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2024, 12:23:08 AM »
-Al:  Paint.  Even "blacktop" isn't black!

Tim:  Thank you!  I wonder why nobody else seems to use "glulam" bridges?
N Kalanaga
Be well

JMaurer1

• Crew
  • Respect: +294
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2024, 12:20:13 PM »
+2
brokemoto: That really looks like a Concor bay window with a rooftop cupola added to it...or it's what happens when a standard caboose and a bay window caboose marry...

SP-Wolf: Or should it now be ATSF-Wolf? Took me a minute to see how the engineer could see out, but since I was originally from So Cal, I could understand the shades.
Sacramento Valley NRail and NTrak
We're always looking for new members

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5524
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2024, 12:56:58 PM »
+9
Hit the Hi Rail jackpot with this gift from my good friend and railwire lurker John Bailey.

An almost complete Flint Models cast brass replacement shell kit for the venerable Atlas/Rivarossi 0-8-0.

I had been bidding on this set, which included a complete OEM locomotive, about two years ago, and got frustrated when I kept getting outbid.
Turns out I was bidding against John, and when he saw me lament on Facebook that I had lost out, he resolved to squirrel it away for some special occasion.

Well, my 60th birthday is this week, and he and his lovely wife Kendra came to the little do put on by my sister, and he just up and gave it to me.  I got home yesterday afternoon, and before I started work today I had it running.  I had to replace the motor (I had an OEM one in the parts bin, but I regret now having sold the last Max Magnet Motor that I had pulled from a wrecked drive a month or so ago.) But with a bit of cleaning and filing, I got the kit together and it's whirling away nicely on the Newport and Rock Falls as we speak.

I love it when a plan comes together!
Lee

PS  Special Thanks to @mu26aeh who toted me to the Timonium show on Saturday, treated me to lunch, then came along for the party.  It was a great day!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2024, 01:04:00 PM by wm3798 »
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

bbunge

• Crew
  • Respect: +270
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2024, 01:16:08 PM »
+3
Ran an early 20th century B&O freight at Timonium this weekend.  Repainted Roundhouse connie, 3D printed gons with loads and it appears the B&O is taking a Mark IV tank to Fort Meade.  The caboose is a Bachmann old timer hacked to look more like a B&O I-11.  From what I've been able to tell, the B&O cabooses of the period were painted the basic boxcar red.

Bob

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1272
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2024, 01:56:21 PM »
Ran an early 20th century B&O freight at Timonium this weekend.  Repainted Roundhouse connie, 3D printed gons with loads and it appears the B&O is taking a Mark IV tank to Fort Meade.  The caboose is a Bachmann old timer hacked to look more like a B&O I-11.  From what I've been able to tell, the B&O cabooses of the period were painted the basic boxcar red.

Bob

Smooth runnin' train for sure, and the tank is really cool!  However...the Conductor and the rest of the crew are gonna be really complaining about that one off-center wheelset on that caboose!!

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

bbunge

• Crew
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2024, 02:28:18 PM »
Smooth runnin' train for sure, and the tank is really cool!  However...the Conductor and the rest of the crew are gonna be really complaining about that one off-center wheelset on that caboose!!

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

Hey, there is a reason they were called bobber cabooses! 

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1272
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2024, 03:35:25 PM »
Hey, there is a reason they were called bobber cabooses!

LOL!  :D

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8145
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2024, 04:49:49 PM »

Bob

Bob, do you know about the Panamint Models underframes for those bobbers?
https://www.shapeways.com/product/H552KY45D/r24a-new-n-chassis-for-bachmann-bobber-caboose-x2?optionId=301287559&li=shops
https://www.shapeways.com/product/WDQF3S28D/r24b-new-n-chassis-for-bachmann-bobber-caboose-x2?optionId=301287561&li=shops

bbunge

• Crew
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2024, 07:16:10 PM »
+4
Bob, do you know about the Panamint Models underframes for those bobbers?
https://www.shapeways.com/product/H552KY45D/r24a-new-n-chassis-for-bachmann-bobber-caboose-x2?optionId=301287559&li=shops
https://www.shapeways.com/product/WDQF3S28D/r24b-new-n-chassis-for-bachmann-bobber-caboose-x2?optionId=301287561&li=shops

Ed,

Yes, I had seen them.  My prototype, though has a very difference frame.  I carve out all the stuff between the wheels and call it a pretty good match.  The steps on the proto are wood and somewhat shallow much like the Bachmann frame.  I replaced a (plastic) wheel set that had a bent axle and the %*$#^& conductor stopped complaining.  I spent hours and hours in helicopters that vibrated your teeth out; I kept telling him to man up, after all he is suppose to come from that magical age of when men were iron and ships had recently been wood.   :D

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5524
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2024, 04:12:34 PM »
+3
Ed,

Yes, I had seen them.  My prototype, though has a very difference frame.  I carve out all the stuff between the wheels and call it a pretty good match.  The steps on the proto are wood and somewhat shallow much like the Bachmann frame.  I replaced a (plastic) wheel set that had a bent axle and the %*$#^& conductor stopped complaining.  I spent hours and hours in helicopters that vibrated your teeth out; I kept telling him to man up, after all he is suppose to come from that magical age of when men were iron and ships had recently been wood.   :D

The old Arnold caboose might be a better match...

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2062
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2024, 04:59:56 PM »
+4
I got to ride in Strasburg's PRR bobber on a special event photo freight.  In the cupola.

Holy &%%$! was that a rough ride.  No cushion underframe, heavy slack even with just a dozen cars,  and it hunted like crazy side to side unlike anything I'd ever been in.

I was warned to sit down, get a grip, and don't even think about moving around until stopped.

So as my son says, 'its a feature'.

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1954
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2024, 11:23:57 PM »
+1
@ATSF_Ron
Thank you!!
I used the foil from a Sprouts Grocery Store dark chocolate bar.

Thanks,
Wolf

Sweet😁
Otto

DirtyD79

• Crew
  • The Great One
  • Respect: +124
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2024, 05:12:14 AM »
I got to ride in Strasburg's PRR bobber on a special event photo freight.  In the cupola.

Holy &%%$! was that a rough ride.  No cushion underframe, heavy slack even with just a dozen cars,  and it hunted like crazy side to side unlike anything I'd ever been in.

I was warned to sit down, get a grip, and don't even think about moving around until stopped.

So as my son says, 'its a feature'.

Sounds like riding an old wooden roller coaster. Pretty sure some of the crews back in the olden days came out feeling like they got the smackdown laid down on them by The Rock from WWE.
Keep rollin' rollin' rollin' rollin'