Author Topic: Sd40-2 decision to make  (Read 2262 times)

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1637
Sd40-2 decision to make
« on: August 12, 2014, 12:11:07 AM »
So. A while back when Intermountain released their first run of full width can CN SD40-2s,  I grabbed one up and began to paint it in CN's Expo '86 scheme. I detailed it, made working ditch lights, etc, but got bored and didn't finish it. That is until Intermountain announced the next run which included the Expo version. Well I suddenly gained interest on mine again and finished it lest I be tempted just to buy it instead.

Well it's happening again. A long while ago I started a CPR Expo '86 SD40-2. Its a Kato mid-pro and is fully detailed awaiting paint. With the CN unit all I had to do was assemble it. The CPR model has a long way to go. I need a Kato mid-pro chassis to put under a Shapeways GF6C shell that I have. So the choice I have to make is do I use my chassis for the GF6C and just buy the Inyermountain SD? Or do I soldier on and finish it. Mine will be more detailed, but it's not one that I need for eventual roster. I just like the way it looks. Infact I only detailed it because I figured I should since I was going through the effort of painting it. That being said I don't need a GF6C at all, but I really like the way IT looks.

It's not a life or death decision but I'm still interested in your thoughts. Finish it, or take the easy way out and move into another project....  Of which I have many many waiting. Hmmm. But the detailing does look good. And Intermountain handrails are terrible.

What to do?

Craig

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +1242
Re: Sd40-2 decision to make
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 04:32:42 AM »
Do you like doing the modelling or is it a bit of a chore? If you like doing the modelling then I'd say finish the one you started. On the other hand, if that was only the means to an end then you might want to save yourself the effort and buy it. It really depends on how much you want to put in/what you want to get out and only you can really answer that.

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1154
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 06:30:17 AM »
I would say both!  Kitbashing every locomotive gets a bit much sometimes, so when something is offered that grabs your interest, it is nice to be able take the plunge.  You will likely find motivation to finish the project at some stage. 

I was also tempted by the CP Expo units when the announcement came out, but I resisted.  Only toasters for me. :D

jpwisc

• Crew
  • Respect: +1970
    • Skally Line Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 09:30:12 AM »
I like the self made engine versus the factory version. There is a sense of pride that comes with that. Use the Mid-Pro Chassis for the Expo unit and get another for the GF6C.

Don't forget to have fun!
Karl
CEO of the WC White Pine Sub, an Upper Peninsula Branch Line.

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 11:46:58 AM »
This is the classic dilemma many of us face.   Do you have more money or more time?

For me, I work in IT and almost always the answer is more money and virtually no time, but then I don't really have much money either.   :facepalm:   Most of the time I err on the side of avoiding more "projects", since I have dozens or hundreds of projects on my list, versus much less "products" I need going forward so the budget should hold up when a half-finished project yields to a completed RTR release.

That "sense of pride" can come from any number of things I have on my to do list....I don't have to "manufacture" feeling good in that respect.   I'll make the call to enjoy the new product and move on to the next thing.   I realize not everybody operates that way...just providing my perspective.
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

craigolio1

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 06:52:29 PM »
You guys all bring valid points. These days my modelling budget is very limited but I was fortunate to stock up a few years ago when that wasn't the case. I have an unknown number of projects in baggies, ranging from repaints to scratch builds, all with every part needed waiting for me to get to it. I bet I have enough to last 20 years. Actually at the rate I work it will likely take more. I have started most of them, almost completed others, and still I can't find some of the others. Haha. I love that feeling of finishing a model. That sense of accomplishment you mention really does feel good. But, with so many projects to choose from there will be plenty of that feeling to come. Which is why I feel tempted to shelve it, buy the IM model, and move onto something else.  The trouble is, I'll look at it every time and think,"mine would have been better".  My CN expo model looks more accurate nd more fine than the IM version.

I think I'll stick it out and finish it. It's going to look awesome and, to quote a great man, "I love it when a plan comes together".

Thanks for your thoughts.

Craig

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +1242
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 05:35:49 AM »
Why don't you get it out and have a go now before the IM model is released. Then if some big problem presents itself you won't have missed the IM model when it comes.

jpwisc

• Crew
  • Respect: +1970
    • Skally Line Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 10:37:05 AM »
And don't forget to post some pics of your progress!
Karl
CEO of the WC White Pine Sub, an Upper Peninsula Branch Line.

craigolio1

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 03:00:40 PM »
I'll post something soon!

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3575
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 07:00:17 PM »
In addition to the reasons already stated, the one you build will have all of the correct modifications and details.  We won't know if the Intermountain version will until we see it.

Also, as I have found, the experience gained from completing it will contribute to even better results with your future locomotive projects.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

craigolio1

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 08:52:26 PM »
Hi Tim.  When I saw you were the last poster, I thought maybe you were going to ask if I were ever going to start finishing my BC Rail models!  The truth is I'm doing just as you say.  I started a pile of BC Rail models years ago and realized my skills were not at the level I thought they were.  Each time I finish a project they get better and so you are exactly right.

Below are the CN SD40-2w in Expo that I did, another CPR SD40-2, and progress thus far on my CPR Expo SD40-2.

CN SD40-2w: I stripped the zebra stripes, repainted the back end, and applied the new decals along with a plow and other pilot details, bell, horn, winter hatch, and custom cast LED ditch lights.

This loco got the usual helping of Miniatures by Eric parts and some custom cast ditch lights

This is actually now primed with the white for the back end painted, awaiting masking and then red paint.

Thanks for your interest.

Craig
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 08:58:43 PM by craigolio1 »

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1154
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2014, 08:59:17 PM »
You've been holding out on us- really nice work. :)  Your custom cast ditch lights on the CN-Expo unit are interesting- were those a one off job?   They look like the kind that I need for the GP40W, SD50F and SD60F models.

craigolio1

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2014, 09:42:34 PM »
Scott, thanks for you comments.

If you mean one off in that I only needed one pair, then yes.  But I made them from a mold so I can make as many as I need.  I took the Intermountain part, made a RTV mold of it, then stuffed some clear epoxy in the mold, and into that stuck an 0402 LED.  In the end I had a part the same size as the Intermountain part only lit up.  I painted the black while they were lit up so I would know when it was painted well enough.  I did the same for the CPR model starting with the MBE casting.  I know others just put the 0402 LED inside the casting but my way will never short. 

How many pairs do you need?  I feel like I owe you a favor or something.

Craig

Edit:  I started with the cool white LEDs and then tinted them with some Tamyia clear yellow because they are really cheap in bulk vs. $2-$3 each for the incandescent coloured ones.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 09:46:03 PM by craigolio1 »

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3575
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2014, 12:53:47 AM »
When you eventually get to run those on a DCC layout, you will enjoy turning on the ditch lights.  Well worth the effort.
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

craigolio1

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2014, 08:28:25 AM »
You are right there. Even back and forth is fun. I'm working on a simple loop so I can at least break them in and keep then maintained.

Craig