Author Topic: Modeling Rivers  (Read 1019 times)

Midniteflyer

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Modeling Rivers
« on: February 08, 2009, 09:04:27 AM »
Looking for tips on modeling water with Envirotex. From pics i have seen this method give the best results. I plan on using Mod podge for the water movement effects. Anyone trid this?  :-\
Black & Gold Rules !!!!!!!!!!!!

asciibaron

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
    • Steve's Happy Fun Time IntarWebs
Re: Modeling Rivers
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 09:12:04 AM »
Looking for tips on modeling water with Envirotex. From pics i have seen this method give the best results. I plan on using Mod podge for the water movement effects. Anyone trid this?  :-\

i have been experimenting with gloss medium and gloss medium gel.  the gel is great for adding movement to the water but is no good for still water.  the gloss medium is great for still water.  i had tried Envirotex years ago and decided the gloss medium was much more controllable. 

-steve
Quote from: Chris333
How long will it be before they show us how to add DCC to a tree?

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5557
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 09:25:42 AM »
Boy, this link has been getting a lot of mileage this week...

http://www.wildcardgraphics.biz/media/EvolutionofaScene.pdf

Please don't forget to drop a quarter in the box on your way through the turnstile...

Hope it helps.
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6787
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 11:17:07 AM »
I used Envirotex Lite for my river, and I like the effect of depth that can be obtained with its use.  However, as you must have noticed, it will leave you with an ice skating rink look.  Modge Podge should work fine to add "movement" to the river after the Envirotex cures.  I have always intended to use Gloss Medium for the same purpose, but I have held off as I consider pouring one more layer of Envirotex to bring the level of my river up a tad to cover more of the rocks under the plate girder deck bridge in this picture:

Hope this helps,
Dave

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!