Author Topic: divided Highway crossing signals  (Read 3246 times)

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1538
    • Layout Progress Blog
divided Highway crossing signals
« on: March 20, 2014, 03:18:34 PM »
One of my forthcoming projects will be flashing crossing signals over a 4 lane divided highway.  Something like this:

http://www.lindsay.com/common/getimage.php?id=2052&width=0&height=0

NJ International makes some in N that might work (though I think they are single lane):

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/N-J-International-N-Highway-Crossing-Signal-p/nji-2191.htm

That said, I know there are all sorts of semi-custom and custom signal guys out there in the "mom and pop" portion of our supplier list.  SO anyone got a good link for an alternative?  Or have a good "I built it myself and took pictures I can share" story on one of these?
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7025
Re: divided Highway crossing signals
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 04:26:05 PM »
Back in 199X, before anything commercial was available, I bashed an older-style crossing signal gantry using etched brass lattice parts scavenged from some unknown kit. I think something similar could be found these days.

The walkway is a chunk of Plano boxcar roofwalk. Some ladder stock is attached to the main stanchion, which is a length of brass tubing inserted into a hole drilled in a styrene foothing. The crossbuck is from NJI.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 04:28:49 PM by David K. Smith »

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +835
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 09:57:22 PM »
While David's is WAY cooler looking, I scratchbuilt this signal some time ago with brass tubing which I finished almost exactly at the same time that NJI came out with the exact same signal (save for the side lights). This and the NJI signal could potentially be installed on a divided highway, although I believe the length of the cantilever might be better-suited for a single lane in each direction....

A second cantilever scratchbuild with the same dimensions but set up for a sharp curve.....

« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 10:05:38 PM by tehachapifan »

Philip H

• Crew
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 12:02:25 PM »
What size LED's did you guys use?
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7025
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 12:26:57 PM »
I generally use 1.6mm domed lens, flat lead: http://led-switch.com/1.6%20LED.htm

This yields a model lens of ~10 scale inches in diameter, which is about right for most older crossing signals. For more modern styles, you can use a 1.8mm LED, which is ~11.5 scale inches.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 12:32:16 PM by David K. Smith »

tehachapifan

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 12:30:37 PM »
I used standard-issue 1.5mm Minatronics red LED's with the supplied resistors. These are the ones that have a rounded lens on a square base. The rounded lens sticks through the targets while the square base creates a nice surface for the target to mount on. I simply painted the square part with black and then silver to eliminate light leaking back there.

...Actually, I can't remember at the moment if I used the resistors. The one I installed is driven by a LogicRail Grade Crossing Pro and I can't remember if it takes care of limiting power to the LED's or not. At any rate, as you probably know, power to LED's must be limited thru some means (typically by adding resistors). You would hate to build a signal and then blow up your LED's! :scared:
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 12:38:22 PM by tehachapifan »

Philip H

• Crew
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 09:51:26 AM »
While David's is WAY cooler looking, I scratchbuilt this signal some time ago with brass tubing which I finished almost exactly at the same time that NJI came out with the exact same signal (save for the side lights). This and the NJI signal could potentially be installed on a divided highway, although I believe the length of the cantilever might be better-suited for a single lane in each direction....

A second cantilever scratchbuild with the same dimensions but set up for a sharp curve.....

So, resurrecting a VERY OLDE THREAD, what diameter brass tubing did you use for each part?  Because the more research I do, the more O am convinced this is a roll your own, and I want to take on the challenge.

Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4684
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 02:20:33 PM »
Ah, DKS' legacy of fine modeling lives on as crappy ads, instead of photos of his precision modeling. Sad!  Too bad he wiped clean his online presence.
. . . 42 . . .

tehachapifan

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 04:56:27 PM »
So, resurrecting a VERY OLDE THREAD, what diameter brass tubing did you use for each part?  Because the more research I do, the more O am convinced this is a roll your own, and I want to take on the challenge.

It's been a loooong time since I purchased the tubing, so the best I can do is go out and try to measure the tubing on the built signals or try to find any extra unused tubing to measure. I believe it was pretty standard-sized stuff from Hobby Town (I think).

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2934
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 07:10:59 PM »
K&S 3/32 for the post, 1/16th for the bridge

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4684
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 08:50:09 PM »
If needed you can get even smaller diameter thin-wall brass tubing from http://specialshapes.com/round006.html . I use that tubing for signal masts and streetlight poles.
. . . 42 . . .

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2293
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2015, 09:21:04 PM »
If needed you can get even smaller diameter thin-wall brass tubing from http://specialshapes.com/round006.html . I use that tubing for signal masts and streetlight poles.

+1. Be prepared for minimum order, however - $25. That's a lot of small brass tubing.

bradb

• Respect: 0
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2015, 09:22:22 PM »
That said, I know there are all sorts of semi-custom and custom signal guys out there in the "mom and pop" portion of our supplier list.  SO anyone got a good link for an alternative?

So it looks like I need to modify one of the NJI signals to have an extra set of lights for a side road.  Something like:

Does anyone make the actual target parts?  Or is the best solution to cannibalize another NJI signal for parts?  Sorry, don't mean to hijack your thread but figured you might be interested in information regarding the target part of the signals.

Thanks,

Brad.

PS and how about that ballast profile? 

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +353
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2015, 09:24:53 PM »
Ngineering has stainless steel tubing from .095-.018" also
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Philip H

• Crew
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2015, 09:27:28 PM »
K&S 3/32 for the post, 1/16th for the bridge

As our Russian friends would say - Spaceeba Bolshoi!
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer