Author Topic: Next MTL Freight Car - 60' Flat Car ???  (Read 3776 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4688
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Next MTL Freight Car - 60' Flat Car ???
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2023, 05:47:56 PM »
I don't think it was a flop.  They've released 16 schemes to date, the first in January 2007 and the last in July 2020.  Most likely it will resurface within the next few years, since every road can justify one.  Pretty good run for a very oddball piece of equipment.

Well, maybe not a true flop, but I bet they don't sell many of them. I seem to recall some lingered at the BLW website for years.  While they did 16 schemes, the size of each run was likely relatively small compared to their other offerings.
. . . 42 . . .

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4320
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2023, 06:38:05 PM »
Well, as you've pointed out, it's a car that you only need one of in the decoration of your home road.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Gozer the Gozerian

• Crew
  • Respect: +1105
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2023, 06:43:38 PM »
+1
Well, maybe not a true flop, but I bet they don't sell many of them. I seem to recall some lingered at the BLW website for years.  While they did 16 schemes, the size of each run was likely relatively small compared to their other offerings.

We sold a boat load of them...literally. 

Joe
Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor!

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4688
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2023, 07:04:20 PM »
+1

Joe

Well then, so much for my speculations (which are often incorrect).  Thanks for the inside info Joe!  If you ever do the B&M version, I'll buy couple, assuming that I haven't yet  custom painted the ones I already bought).
. . . 42 . . .

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2023, 08:03:51 PM »

Joe

CBQ for me please!
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

Gozer the Gozerian

• Crew
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2023, 11:51:07 AM »
Well then, so much for my speculations (which are often incorrect).  Thanks for the inside info Joe!  If you ever do the B&M version, I'll buy couple, assuming that I haven't yet  custom painted the ones I already bought).

I was as surprised as you are that it did so well.  ;) 

Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor!

James Costello

• Crew
  • Respect: +296
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2023, 06:47:13 PM »

I was as surprised as you are that it did so well.  ;)

So @MTLJoe about this flatcar - what can you tell us? Builder?
James Costello
Espee into the 90's

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +353
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2023, 04:44:40 PM »

Joe

It is one of those cars that spans eras and at least one is needed, versus era-specific cars where some people might by 0.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

sirenwerks

• Crew
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2023, 04:51:30 PM »
People don’t realize that there are multiple MTL models that haven’t seen the light of day in years since they release a variety of models monthly and have over 100 models to choose from.

And then there's the fact that many manufacturers offer multiple numbers for each release, ad MTL's primary marketing offered only one number in each paint scheme roll out. Granted, MTL is making moves on this with its runner packs, but those are less frequent than new paint schemes.

Gozer the Gozerian

• Crew
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2023, 06:06:43 PM »
+1

And then there's the fact that many manufacturers offer multiple numbers for each release, ad MTL's primary marketing offered only one number in each paint scheme roll out. Granted, MTL is making moves on this with its runner packs, but those are less frequent than new paint schemes.

Im all in for more multi packs with this car.  Ultimately it will be a committee decision, but I think this might be an easy sell.  Remember with the 123 we initially offered them in three packs for this very concern.  Once we get closer to being production ready I may have a better feel for what will happen. 

Joe

sirenwerks

• Crew
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2023, 03:47:01 PM »
+1
Im all in for more multi packs with this car.  Ultimately it will be a committee decision, but I think this might be an easy sell.  Remember with the 123 we initially offered them in three packs for this very concern.  Once we get closer to being production ready I may have a better feel for what will happen. 

Joe

My interest isn't in multi-packs per se, but multiple car numbers with each announcement, available separately. I like the way Bluford does the individual car, 2 car set, 3 car set; which allows the consumer to scale up their purchase according to budget availability.

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2023, 04:39:48 PM »

My interest isn't in multi-packs per se, but multiple car numbers with each announcement, available separately. I like the way Bluford does the individual car, 2 car set, 3 car set; which allows the consumer to scale up their purchase according to budget availability.

I don’t believe they are doing the 1-2-3 packs anymore, just individual runs of 6 separate numbers
Brian

Way of the Zephyr