Author Topic: N scale chains  (Read 5981 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4688
    • Coming (not so) soon...
N scale chains
« on: December 31, 2012, 02:22:43 AM »
+1
There was a discussion on another thread about what is available for small chains suitable for N scale.  I wasn't sure if I should start this thread in "Weathering, Detailing, and Scratchbuilding" or here but I know that the moderators will take care of this.  :)

I made a comparison of the chains I have in my parts bin. I originally posted this info on the Atlas forum but in case that gets taken offline, I'll post this info here.

The above photo shows a standard inch and an N scale (with 6" divisions) rulers for reference.

From the closest to the ruler:
TrainCat 72 LPI "chain". I actually counted it to be closer to 82 LPI. It is not a real chain. It is a flat photoetched piece.

Traincat 52 LPI chain. I counted it to be 46 LPI. This is the finest true chain I have ever found.

Unknown source 38 LPI chain. I seem to recall that it was manufactured by one of the model railroad manufacturers - I just don't recall which one.

EDIT: Max Magliaro in this post provided the following info: the 38 LPI chain you had on your other info page that you linked to from here, I believe is http://www.builders-in-scale.com/bis/parts-chain.html   (the black 40 LPI chain).
The Builders In Scale 40 LPI is the smallest stuff I have.  I can certainly believe that it actually only measures out to 38 LPI.

Silver 30 LPI chain. This is a chain from an old necklace which was no longer being used. HINT: look at old jewelry and you might find a good source of fine N scale chain.

22.5 LPI chain. From Clover House.

21 LPI chain with flat links. From Clover House.

I also found another (even finer) "chain".  It isn't even a real chain but it sure looks convincing. DKS used it on one of his models.

Dave states: The chain is actually a piece of beading needle, which is very fine stainless wire twisted tightly.
The construction of that piece of rolling stock is fully described in http://therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=19637.0
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 04:28:47 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

ns737

• Crew
  • Respect: +38
Re: N scale chains
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 09:35:28 AM »
HI the 36 lpi could be from jnj models. i have some of that chain. and it came in a detail kit.

dnhouston

• Crew
  • Respect: +665
    • Dusty Junction & Northwestern
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 11:31:25 AM »
Thanks for the info.

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 12:12:13 PM »
Good info.  I used to get chain from a long closed hobby shop which had a lot of shipbuilding materials including  different size chain. 

TrainCat2

• Crew
  • I'm here to take a beating from RailWire members.
  • Respect: +802
    • TrainCat Model Sales
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 12:35:28 PM »
Expect an 3D etched 88LPI stainless chain 1Q 2013. Here is how it will look.

Links are .018in high by .0088in long and .005in thick.
Regards
boB Knight

I Spell boB Backwards

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1539
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 12:40:01 PM »
There are also a number of model ship suppliers that have chain in various kinds and finishes.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

laconj

• Respect: +6
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 06:07:56 PM »
Check the Gold Medal Models site under 1/700 ships and look at "anchors". Each anchor comes with at least an inch of photoetched chain and there are some very small anchors. The chain is not three dimensional. Maybe it could be twisted. Also, small scale ship modelers sometimes braid fine wire (either a three or four strand braid) which is three dimensional but a lot more work.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 03:11:31 AM »
Expect an 3D etched 88LPI stainless chain 1Q 2013. Here is how it will look.

Links are .018in high by .0088in long and .005in thick.

That's a great news Bob!  That should be a great looking chain!

I was wondering why the other photoetched chain you were selling (the one in my photo) wasn't really made to look like a 3D chain.  It was flat and looked more like flat loops connected together.
. . . 42 . . .

BCR751

• Crew
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
  • Respect: +153
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 11:47:20 AM »
Am I correct in assuming that the photo etched chain can not be "formed" due to it being flat and stiff?  In other words, is it only usable in applications where the chain would be straight?  Just curious.

Doug

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 07:30:53 PM »
Am I correct in assuming that the photo etched chain can not be "formed" due to it being flat and stiff?  In other words, is it only usable in applications where the chain would be straight?  Just curious.

Doug

Photoetched items can be bent (Most photoetched kits require extensive bending and other forms of forming).  The chain can be formed into any shape you want. But it is stiff so it will not droop on its own.
. . . 42 . . .