Author Topic: Loco slowly creeps backward in "neutral"  (Read 1063 times)

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +287
Loco slowly creeps backward in "neutral"
« on: April 14, 2017, 08:08:46 AM »
he Bmann 4-6-0 which has valiantly remained working through my working on it (tho it has lost details) now does this weird behavior. Really, if nobody else has ever had anything like the problems I've been having with DCC then I'm a DCC pioneer.

sp org div

• Crew
  • Respect: +35
Re: Loco slowly creeps backward in "neutral"
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 09:37:52 AM »
 It sounds like it didn't receive the last "zero speed" packet.  I've only seen that on wireless throttles, not on a zephyr...
maybe still possible?  Turn throttle up one notch and back to zero.
Jeff

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +933
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 09:47:24 AM »
It sounds like it didn't receive the last "zero speed" packet.  I've only seen that on wireless throttles, not on a zephyr...
maybe still possible?  Turn throttle up one notch and back to zero.
Jeff

Agree.  Zero is zero, no matter what the system or decoder programming.  I've had this happen occasionally when I thought I had the throttle all the way off, but in fact it was cracked open just a hair.  Try Jeff's suggestion.

John C.

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2293
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 10:09:00 AM »
No kidding, I've had a couple of instances where simply placing Loco A on the track, otherwise behaving normally, would cause Loco B to move. Remove Loco A, Loco B would stop. I don't know if it was decoders or the control station, but resetting the decoder for both fixed it each time.

My solution for decoder behavior weirdness in all cases is a factory reset. If you've tweaked a lot of settings, my advice is you'd better be using JMRI DecoderPro's roster feature to store and restore your changes. Don't leave home without it.

Also bear in mind that Bachmann decoders are minimalist and not very robust. Just reset it and move on.

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +836
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 08:41:36 PM »
On my system, if the handheld controller gets unplugged, the commands that were input at the time will remain in-place when the controller gets plugged back in...until I undo what I don't want (I think this is so you can move the controller to a different jack without interrupting anything?). In other words, if a loco (any on the track at the time) was set to speed step 1 and then I unplugged the controller, the loco would return to speed step 1 every time I turned the system on, but not until I sent at least one (any) command to that loco. This would continue until I set that loco to speed step 0 and then unplugged the controller again.

...this is how I (currently) have programmed the numberboards on my SW1500 bashes since the Zimo decoders are set up with the extra function outputs on F1 and F2. Since the F2 function on my controller is non-latching, I hold down the F2 button and then unplug the controller. Now, every time I turn the system on, F2 will activate continuously any time I send a command to that loco and I get continuously-illuminated numberboards (until I hit F2 again) without doing any function re-mapping....which I my eventually do as my system does not store more than I think 6 locos' info this way.

...I should also mention that I've experienced a few occasions where there was a brief hiccup or something in the system where my controller behaved as if it was unplugged and then plugged back in, resulting in these seem frozen commands that I mentioned without having intentionally unplugged the controller.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 09:19:21 PM by tehachapifan »

mmyers

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +47
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 07:41:04 PM »
What happens when the direction control lever is moved to center?

Martin Myers

Greg Elmassian

• Crew
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 11:44:28 AM »
So, 4 days later, if you are using a Digitrax and it indicates speed zero, does the loco still creep?

I suspect somehow there is DC on the rails too.

Greg

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +287
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2017, 01:20:23 AM »
problem seems to have gone away