Author Topic: Need help with a corner space  (Read 2509 times)

rswinnerton

• Crew
  • The Anti-Ed
  • Respect: +20
    • Luxury Rail Travel
Re: Need help with a corner space
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2011, 07:48:43 PM »
I like the brewery idea, but also, what about an auto plant? The plant itself could be low-relief structures and it'd get 89' boxcars, 60' boxcars and regular boxes in. Also, possibly tank cars (paint and related liquids). Outbound would be autoracks.
Russ Swinnerton
Dr. of Ferroequinology
www.LuxRailTravel.com

Specter3

• Crew
  • Respect: +149
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2011, 09:26:46 PM »
Here is PPG Shelby NC. They make fiberglass.

http://maps.google.com/?ll=35.326138,-81.630242&spn=0.007169,0.016512&t=h&z=17&vpsrc=6

Service from both NS from the top and CSX from the bottom. Tank cars, hoppers, boxes.

AEP Industries Stallings NC. Plastic wraps and films.

http://maps.google.com/?ll=35.091666,-80.68655&spn=0.001797,0.004128&t=h&z=19&vpsrc=6

Lots and lots of hoppers. Lots of neat vertical storage tanks. 

Blazeman

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2011, 07:28:52 AM »
Given your locale, on the real CP line out of Milwaukee, there is a rail transfer site at Watertown. I set up an operation there for my company to handle hydrogen peroxide. I don't know if it was there in the 80's or not. Besides my firm's product in tank cars, they do sweetners in tanks and sugars in covered hoppers. While you have a rather large footprint for such an industry, being in Wisconsin, this site has many covered areas in which to effect transfers free from the disabilities that winter brings. So there would be a steam generator maybe using fuel oil for the boilers (tank cars) and a wash out area to rinse cars.

The site would also handle lumber to use your center beam cars.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5549
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2011, 08:29:35 AM »
The track arrangement of that PPG plant could lend itself to a door layout very nicely...  connections to two main lines, lots of switching on campus...  and the lovely prototypical return loop on the left side!

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Jmwilson

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2011, 11:47:39 AM »
I like the brewery idea, with that much space you could still have the old ice house and track either abandoned or repurposed for another industry.

Roger Holmes

• Crew
  • Respect: +580
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2011, 02:07:18 PM »
The brewery I'm still trying to think of who's advertising capitalized on Wisconsin's pure water may be G. Heileman Brewing of La Crosse, WI which is in the far SW corner of the state.  What makes this an appealing subject is that in 1969 they built six tanks holding a combined total of 22,220 barrels of beer and the tanks were painted to look like Old Style cans and were advertised as the World's Largest Six-Pack.  According to Wikipedia they still stand today but have been redecorated to the current owners label.  PVC pipe with inkjet decals--you gotta love the possibilities  8)
Best regards,

Roger

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.  Those who understand the binary system and those who don't.