Author Topic: Weekend Update 11/7/10  (Read 7001 times)

conrail98

• Crew
  • Respect: +40
Re: Weekend Update 11/7/10
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2010, 02:24:23 PM »
Phil: One of my favorite stages of a layout - The wood puzzle. Love it and the
smell of pine.

Chuck, one thing that has helped me tremendously is a program called CutList, http://delphiforfun.org/programs/cutlist.htm. Basically, I laid out the benchwork on my XtrkCad design, put in all the pieces I *think* I need, and this spit out number and cutting diagrams of the wood I'd need. I also found someone selling cabinet grade plywood for $5 for about a 2/5 sheet so I bought a bunch and ripped them to 1x2s and 1x3s. If I had gotten 4x8s, I would have had to buy about 8 of them, instead I saved quite a bunch of money getting the smaller ones and made quicker progress.

Dave: best of luck on the move,

Phil
- Phil

seusscaboose

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +191
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2010, 03:44:32 PM »
ran trains on friday night with a few friends...

as usual... wifey-poo made brownies for the run crew ;)

"I have a train full of basements"

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:
http://nkphts.org/modelersnotebook

Smike

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2010, 04:44:01 PM »
Been a while but got back work.

Added more woodland details to the module: (The one thing I like about working on something small (12" x 48") is you can detail the heck out of it, until you almost feel its done (almost, but of course never)

Added aqua to the river:

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +609
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2010, 04:47:34 PM »

So, this is the diagram with the leads MSPaint'ed in, right?  No way anybody's wiring could be that neat.  Very impressive!

Where did you get those LED lighting strips?
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7025
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2010, 04:54:34 PM »

Funny to see an image I made as a joke become an industry brand that seems to be getting a fair bit of mileage...

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8662
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2010, 05:30:41 PM »
So since I had some Masonite and leftover spray paint (the movers won't move the paint) and it was a very nice day, I decided to make a protective cover for my new workbench.  The old one was a drawing table that looked like crap after 8 years of abuse.  This new one is a 2x4 mini banquet table from Costco.

jsoflo

• Crew
  • Respect: +23
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2010, 06:05:40 PM »

Added more woodland details to the module: (The one thing I like about working on something small (12" x 48") is you can detail the heck out of it, until you almost feel its done (almost, but of course never)

Added aqua to the river:

That is awesome looking!!! 

Dave, just to warn you that we are having a cold spell down here in the land of no basements, temperatures could get into the 60's tonight in Ft. Lauderdale, don't pack those jackets away, brrrrrr...... ;D

my best,
Jan

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2010, 07:34:34 PM »
This weekend, I stopped by Gary's to pick up his 4x8 HO layout.  We had a little bit of unexpected work removing it from his basement, and then I had similar problems getting it through my house to the train area.  I tell you, they don't mention this in MR articles.  A door layout is much more portable. 

Anyway, the layout is great.  Somehow, there is 45 feet of mainline run.

I also got to see Gary's collection of nicely lowered and weathered cars.  Everything he makes is very well done.

SAH

• Crew
  • Respect: +1277
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2010, 07:52:06 PM »

I added the tree line to the backdrop and profiled the roadbed in prep for laying some track.  REALLY looking forward to getting something running again.  Maybe by Christmas.
Steve

BCRail_FSJ

• Crew
  • Respect: +531
    • Trying to model the BCR Fort St John BC (again)...while living in Australia (what could possibly go wrong?)
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2010, 08:21:19 PM »
Added some weathering to 766.  Now I have a trio of SD40-2s for the Fort St. John Subdivision

Attempting Canadian prototype modelling in Australia

British Columbia Fort St John Subdivision
https://nscalefortstjohnsub.wordpress.com

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3576
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2010, 09:24:49 PM »
Where did you get those LED lighting strips?

The light bars are manufactured in China and were purchased from an LED lighting design company here in North Vancouver.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8158
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2010, 09:55:53 PM »

Added aqua to the river:

Whoa! That's some really awesome stuff. REALLY awesome.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5562
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2010, 10:05:03 PM »
Remember this?

Well, I changed my mind a little bit...  At the Timonium show I scored some of those Chooch cut stone piers and abutments for next to nothing, so I put them into play...  This required a minor redesign of the bridge, but I believe you'll like the results...

Here's the piers in place, along with some foam to define the banks of Wills Creek as it disappears into the backdrop.

Here's the newly configured bridge, employing a deck truss in place of the deck plate bridge.  The deck truss is nothing fancy, just a cut up and combined Atlas bridge.  But it is a little special, as it was salvaged from the WMRHS N Scale layout I built back in the late 80's.

Anyway, once I was happy with the landcscape, I waved my hand and this appeared...

The bridge at Hinshaw is just set in place, pending the installation of the guardrails a visit from the track painting crew.  Once those chores are done, I'll affix everything to the piers.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1818
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2010, 10:16:14 PM »
This weekend, I stopped by Gary's to pick up his 4x8 HO layout.  We had a little bit of unexpected work removing it from his basement, and then I had similar problems getting it through my house to the train area.  I tell you, they don't mention this in MR articles.  A door layout is much more portable. 

Anyway, the layout is great.  Somehow, there is 45 feet of mainline run.

I also got to see Gary's collection of nicely lowered and weathered cars.  Everything he makes is very well done.

It seems to be layout-moving week.  If any of the locals were on the BW Parkway at ~4pm yesterday and saw a big blue pickup with a big blue tarped load...  Sounds like it made it though, and my basement steps are reassembled again.   ;D

The highlight for me was seeing a bunch of Tom's incredible weathering (including the new ESM box car), AND having a chance to run his GWIX hopper and a tanker for a few laps around the layout before we moved it.  Thanks for the show and tell, and for giving the layout a good home Tom!

-Gary

P.S. David, you work quickly.  IIRC, that factory was just a superstructure last week.  I still can't believe how great your layout looked in person.  Smike, the forest scene is fantastic.

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1818
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2010, 10:22:07 PM »
Lee, very appropriate reuse - that looks great!