Author Topic: New Atlas S2s  (Read 4449 times)

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2125
New Atlas S2s
« on: August 08, 2017, 08:33:41 PM »
http://www.blwnscale.com/atlas-s2.htm

Kinda surprised that the 50's era UP gets only one offering in DC , but Mr. Wallet is happy and one may be a lonely number but none is as tasty as a doughnut hole .
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 12:28:30 PM by GaryHinshaw »

Richie Dost

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1133
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: New Atlas S2s
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 08:41:35 PM »

Kinda surprised that the 50's era UP gets only one offering in DC , but Mr. Wallet is happy and one may be a lonely number but none is as tasty as a doughnut hole .

That's just leftover form the second release which had three numbers.

http://www.atlasrr.com/NLoco/ns2a.htm#.WYpZkFWGP9Q

Jason

up1950s

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 10:05:28 PM »
Thanks for that info , don't know how that offering slipped by me .

Richie Dost

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +722
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 12:48:53 AM »

Check your PM inbox for some suggestions as to where you might possibly find the UP S-2 in the other two roadnumbers still available.

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2293
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 01:13:04 AM »
You also might be thinking of the B'mann S-4. That was released in one road number. I asked for "more", was told no, essentially, WYSIWYG. :(

Renumbering is of course something I can do, but it's yet another project when the bench is already full of stuff that I can guarantee will outlive me.

Joetrain59

• Crew
  • Respect: +75
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 02:26:22 AM »
Got my D&H S2 yesterday from BLW. Nearly finished a Bmann S4 into D&H last year. Maybe I should do a fantasy D&H blue/grey on the S4? I have to clean track and hook up my NCE cab to really here my first Gold S2. Did put S2 on layout last night (DC), and got the startup sound. Sweeet!
 No time for trains much at all, since buying the house, but the time will eventually come to be.
 Joe D

up1950s

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 09:59:31 AM »
+1
Check your PM inbox for some suggestions as to where you might possibly find the UP S-2 in the other two roadnumbers still available.

Thanks , I already ordered the other 2 on eBay . Then after that I looked up my records and found out I already have all 3 ... geesh 300 bucks poof gone . One of the pit falls of no layout is you buy , you stash , you don't see , you are not reminded , and you buy again .  :facepalm: :RUEffinKiddingMe: :oops: Oh well I now have 3 to renumber which I will do right after I finish the armful of already in process projects , both hobby and home .

Richie Dost

mcjaco

• Crew
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 10:06:30 AM »
Soo Line Blue/Yellow scheme?????   :facepalm:
~ Matt

Mike C

• Crew
  • Respect: +146
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 06:43:23 PM »
@up1950s

Which is why I see NO reason to buy anything if you don't have a layout ...... :trollface:...hehe

bdennis

• Crew
  • Respect: +172
    • Delaware & Hudson Champlain Division
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 06:54:01 AM »
Received my D&H S2 today.. Simply awesome sound and nice weight also for a small switcher.. Has been deployed as the Whitehall yard goat on my D&H layout..
Now to wait for the new Sound Alco C 628's...!
Brendan Dennis
N scale - Delaware & Hudson Champlain Division

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8142
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 10:23:55 AM »
+2
Agreed. I'm very happy with my S2, although, I will say that I still think it should be illegal to sell sound decoders without keepalives built in.

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +1021
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2017, 12:56:51 PM »
+1
Soo Line Blue/Yellow scheme?????   :facepalm:

:trollface:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=265085

But yeah facepalm there for sure... My blue and yellow Soo units should arrive soon  :D
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +933
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2017, 01:48:25 PM »
Agreed. I'm very happy with my S2, although, I will say that I still think it should be illegal to sell sound decoders without keepalives built in.

Apparently, the Germans don't think you can put enough keep alive on an N-scale board to make a difference.  I discussed this briefly with Matt Hermann last year when the IM boards came out and we discovered there was no keep alive on them.  But in fact I've found that 440uf of keep alive makes a huge difference in terms of sound drop-outs.  With relatively clean track and wheels, 440uf will kill off about 99% of sound dropouts.  There is room on the S-2 board to put at least two 220uf caps, probably more, on the underside of the board without hitting the motor.  Why they didn't do this is a mystery to me, and why they aren't doing it for the IM and "generic drop in" boards is even more of mystery, since you have even more length to work with there.  At the very least, they need to add solder pads so we can figure out ingenious ways to find enough space for a couple of tantalum chip caps (you could stuff a couple in the S-2's cab, for example).

It's taken a while for the manufacturers to adopt the cell-phone-type speaker, but now Atlas and Intermountain have done so.  It may take another little while to get those manufacturers to demand on-board keep-alive, but I suspect it will happen eventually, as complaints about sound drop-outs pile up for these folks.

John C.

pdx1955

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2017, 05:42:51 PM »

I agree with that. I love the S2 sound and even the cat is very interested however the sound drop outs are annoying. Even working over the track to make it super clean , still doesn't stop all of them even though other non-sound locomotives have no issues in those locations.
Peter

"No one ever died because of a bad question, but bad assumptions can kill"

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
  • Respect: +329
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2017, 09:40:58 PM »
I agree with that. I love the S2 sound and even the cat is very interested however the sound drop outs are annoying. Even working over the track to make it super clean , still doesn't stop all of them even though other non-sound locomotives have no issues in those locations.

Very annoying.

I purchased one of the first releases. 

Took the trucks apart... cleaned stuff... checked the gauge. 

Frustrating.

One challenge is that Atlas uses a narrow-tread wheel-set on it as opposed to the wider-tread wheel set used on virtually all their other locomotives– No doubt that decision contributes to the inconsistent electrical pickup.