Author Topic: New AZL RDC-1's  (Read 948 times)

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
New AZL RDC-1's
« on: March 24, 2017, 04:15:51 PM »
+1
Thought I would share some pics of the "new" AZL RDC-1's announced on March 15th.   They are new in the fact that they have had some redesign including the couplers and also some internal changes as well.   I'm just posting pics for now...might post a mini-review at some point.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +1021
Re: New AZL RDC-1's
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 04:18:25 PM »
Wow... you got those quick!

They look very nice, If it wasn't for the couplers I wouldn't know they were Z...
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 05:22:57 PM »
What was the coupler redesign?

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 09:05:54 PM »
What was the coupler redesign?

From Rob A. on the AZL Forum...

New truck design - long story here, but running should be the same if not a little better.

The big deal is the coupler. We took the coupler from the P42 and applied the same technology to the RDC, so new tooling for that too. The coupler is body mounted, but swings quite a bit, so you should have no problem coupling multiple RDC units together. (this was a - er - challenge with the old stiff coupler) you can also couple rolling stock to the RDC without them being hurled off the rails at the first hint of a curve.

Motor is our standard 7mm 12 volt motor. Separate LED PCB at each end of the car for really nice head and tail lights. Trucks have wired leads instead of wipers for awesome electrical pick up. Same with the motor: solder wired to the PCB. The PCB is the same size as aour drop in decoder, so you can convert this to DCC easily - but you will need to solder the leads to the board. Not too hard.

Read more: http://azlforum.com/thread/869/azl-march-2017-new-items?page=2#ixzz4cIMtHUqi
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.