Author Topic: Denatured alcohol any cheaper?  (Read 382 times)

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5531
Denatured alcohol any cheaper?
« on: April 16, 2024, 05:24:23 PM »
I wash my prints with denatured alcohol because I can get it for $15 a gallon. I noticed my Menards can order it in 5 gallon jugs for $55, that is only $11 a gallon.

Before I order a jug I was just wondering if there is any cheaper way out there?

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1338
Re: Denatured alcohol any cheaper?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2024, 02:01:13 AM »
I wouldn't recommend denatured alcohol unless one is SURE what the denaturant is.  We used pure isopropyl alcohol to clean read heads on the tape drives and check reader/sorters at my bank data center.  Both were basically the same as home tape/cassete/VCR recoders.  Bought it from the local chemical supply as "isopropanol anhydrous" in five gallon drums.

I know of two times we ran out.  The first time we tried rubbing alcohol on a tape drive.  It took most of the shift to get the "gunk" off the read head.  Hand lotion does not mix with magnetic tape.

The second time we tried denatured alcohol.  I don't know what was in it, but we had to have the sorter's read head replaced, a two day job, while we had to use the backup sorter of everything.
N Kalanaga
Be well

JeffB

• Crew
  • Respect: +169
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2024, 07:53:42 AM »
I wouldn't recommend denatured alcohol unless one is SURE what the denaturant is.  We used pure isopropyl alcohol to clean read heads on the tape drives and check reader/sorters at my bank data center.  Both were basically the same as home tape/cassete/VCR recoders.  Bought it from the local chemical supply as "isopropanol anhydrous" in five gallon drums.

I know of two times we ran out.  The first time we tried rubbing alcohol on a tape drive.  It took most of the shift to get the "gunk" off the read head.  Hand lotion does not mix with magnetic tape.

The second time we tried denatured alcohol.  I don't know what was in it, but we had to have the sorter's read head replaced, a two day job, while we had to use the backup sorter of everything.

Depends I guess...  I recall reading somewhere that the denaturant is Acetone.

I've used and would prefer using denatured alcohol to clean prints, but it has a significantly stronger smell than IPA.  I share my workshop space with my youngest son's "gaming center", so I had to switch back to IPA due to protestations from him.  But denatured alcohol cleans a lot more readily than IPA, at least in my opinion.

Chris...  I haven't purchased a bottle of IPA in a while.  Is denatured alcohol really that much cheaper?

Jeff

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2024, 09:03:10 AM »
+2
A gallon of ipa is about $33 and da is $15. I think da works better at cleaning prints.

Sumner

• Crew
  • Respect: +333
    • My Home Pages....
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2024, 09:26:15 AM »
+1
Do you use a wash-n-cure station. I use denatured alcohol (marked Fuel at Ace) for cleaning and works great for me and is easy to find. I bought a second bucket and recently a third one. This helps in that the alcohol will get contaminated with the excess resin off the print fairly quickly.  With two buckets most all the resin comes off in the first one even though it has been use from my first print a year or more ago.

If you look at the 1st rinse/clean bucket on the right you can see how cloudy it is.  Can't make out the impeller at the bottom.  I wouldn't want to go from that clean to curing.  The next bucket over is the 2nd rinse/clean.  I've been using it a long time and it is still plenty clean to go from it to curing.  The parts look very clean after cleaning them in that bucket.  Eventually I might start using the 3rd wash but probably not since this has worked so well.

It was interesting that the 2nd and 3rd buckets I bought are bigger than the one that came with the station and that has helped with long prints that were sticking out the top of the denatured alcohol at the top of the bucket.  Would have to turn them over and run them some more.

How about you Jeff are you using a wash-n-cure station?  The denatured alcohol is strong smelling but with the cover on the station not for very long. 

I don't open that bucket until I'm ready to put the basket in and put the cover on the station.  Same when the print is done.  The cover goes on right away.  If I didn't have the wash-n-cure station I probably would be resin printing.  It makes the whole cleaning process simple and fast and one isn't dealing with the resin or cleaner.
Working in N Scale ---Modeling UP from late 40's to early 70's very loosely......

Under$8.00 Servo turnout Control --- 3D Printed Model RR Objects -- My Home Page

http://1fatgmc.com/RailRoad/RR Main/Link Page Menu.html

JeffB

• Crew
  • Respect: +169
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2024, 09:41:11 AM »
A gallon of ipa is about $33 and da is $15. I think da works better at cleaning prints.

Yeah, that's a pretty good savings!  May have to do my print cleaning with DA in the garage this summer.  DA definitely cleans prints better and if it's that much cheaper... 

Will have to see how well it works (or not) with the wax based resins for lost resin investment casting.

Jeff

TrainCat2

• Crew
  • I'm here to take a beating from RailWire members.
  • Respect: +802
    • TrainCat Model Sales
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2024, 11:03:44 AM »
+2
Here is 99% IPA for $17.50 / gal

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KK014F4
Regards
boB Knight

I Spell boB Backwards

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4693
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2024, 01:30:19 PM »
Depends I guess...  I recall reading somewhere that the denaturant is Acetone.

I've used and would prefer using denatured alcohol to clean prints, but it has a significantly stronger smell than IPA.  I share my workshop space with my youngest son's "gaming center", so I had to switch back to IPA due to protestations from him.  But denatured alcohol cleans a lot more readily than IPA, at least in my opinion.

Chris...  I haven't purchased a bottle of IPA in a while.  Is denatured alcohol really that much cheaper?

Jeff

Here you go: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denatured_alcohol

Denatured alcohol is ethanol (basically a 200 proof vodka) with additives to make it unsuitable  for human consumption (either taste bad or poisonous). Yes, acetone  could be one of those additives.  The additives in denatured alcohol might leave a residue (not fully evaporate).

IPA is isopropanol.  It is chemically a different type of alcohol. 
. . . 42 . . .

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +1022
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2024, 04:07:37 PM »
11 bucks a gallon isn't bad even the 55 gal drum I see online works out to 8$ a gallon!
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2024, 04:31:31 PM »
I use Ziploc plastic storage containers. One dirty and one clean. Once the clean one gets oily I turn it into my dirty container and start a new clean. If I print a lot a container will only last about 2 months before it is so bad that cleaning vs tossing means I toss it. This is also why I've never even considered a washing station. I would trash that thing and toss it. Tossing a $3 container is much better. Another reason is just how much fluid you need in those wash stations. Again I would rather toss a quart of alcohol vs. 2 gallons. I'm sure those wash stations work just fine, but for me it would be a waste.

On a heavy printing week I may try to filter my alcohol with a coffee paper, but those clog up very quick and it can take 2-3 papers just to filter a quart. And filtering just gets rid of the thick stuff. Once it's oily, nothing will clean that.

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2024, 04:37:50 PM »
11 bucks a gallon isn't bad even the 55 gal drum I see online works out to 8$ a gallon!

Ready to click the buy button, but... $213 for shipping  :|

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +1022
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2024, 05:15:06 PM »
Ready to click the buy button, but... $213 for shipping  :|

Ouch! That probably pushes you well over 11!  :lol:
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2024, 05:19:25 PM »
$11.87 I have my limits  :D

I'll order the 5 gallon jugs from Menards.