Author Topic: 20 Years of Modutrak  (Read 1049 times)

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1244
    • Modutrak
20 Years of Modutrak
« on: March 06, 2024, 11:06:37 AM »
+11
Today marks a 20 Year anniversary of the genesis of Modutrak in N scale.  On March 6, 2004, the Saturday of the annual Harper College Trainshow in Palatine, IL, Bill, Marshall, and Mike were oogling the HO Scale Mod-U-Trak layout going "this is what we should be doing in N scale".  And we started focusing on a closer to eye-level, two mainline, cohesive midwest scenery concept that has lead to a lot of fun times over the last 20 years.

Here's an image (John Golden Photo) of the HO Midwest Mod-U-Trak layout at the time:

We appreciate the friendship and learning from the HO guys over the years, especially Bob Kosic. 

I figured we could share some early images of Modutrak N Scale.  And then share some of the newer stuff we're working as we rejuvenate the layout and add some new prototype scenes this year.  There's a lot of action, and we're looking forward to continuing to showcase N scale as a modeler's scale. 

Here's one of the earliest set-up images we have, from Naperville RPM in October 2004:

At the time it was two converted N-trak modules of New Lisbon (Bill Denton) and a transition module to a new two-track interface. 

Thanks to all that have been part of the journey!

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1539
    • Layout Progress Blog
Re: 20 Years of Modutrak
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2024, 11:50:11 AM »
When does your retrospective with lessons learned get published by RMC?
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8149
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2024, 01:58:23 PM »
+4
When does your retrospective with lessons learned get published by RMC?

I want a whole book. Half can just be photos.

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1539
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2024, 03:10:36 PM »
I want a whole book. Half can just be photos.

I'd pre-order it, especially if it had detailed chapters on module construction and electronics.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

Jim Starbuck

• Crew
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2024, 03:32:00 PM »
I'd pre-order it, especially if it had detailed chapters on module construction and electronics.

Lots of great information here.

https://www.modutrak.com/forums/index.php?forums/modutrak-public-forum.10/
Modutrak Iowa Division
Modutrak.com
Better modeling through peer pressure

EJN

• Crew
  • Respect: +207
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2024, 04:08:39 PM »
+6
I took many photos at the (now defunct) Harper College Train Show in 2013 and 2014

« Last Edit: March 06, 2024, 04:40:45 PM by EJN »

Sokramiketes

• Crew
    • Modutrak
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2024, 04:11:19 PM »
+2

WANTED: Graphic Designer!

It's not that we don't want to share, it's that I don't have the time to learn to do it up to snuff!  Jim linked to some of the forum build manual stuff.  And I've done various drawings and diagrams over the years.  I picture some of the great stuff Kalmbach's art department has done over the years and think, some day I'll learn illustrator like this. 

Sokramiketes

• Crew
    • Modutrak
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2024, 04:12:51 PM »
Thanks for sharing, @EJN !  And Kraut Factory pre-Bluford corn!

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5531
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2024, 04:43:42 PM »
Skibbe corn.

Never forget!

altohorn25

• Crew
  • Respect: +3391
    • Mini Mod u Trak
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2024, 04:59:30 PM »
+7
Here are a few photos from when the layout was set up at Trainfest (Milwaukee), Mad City (Madison), and Rockford, IL over the past few years.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: March 06, 2024, 05:01:19 PM by altohorn25 »
Nate Pierce
Modutrak - Wisconsin Division
www.modutrak.com

skytop35

• Crew
  • Respect: +747
    • Skytop Models
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2024, 05:30:07 PM »
+14
The thing I'm most proud of is the fact that not only have we pushed the envelope in N scale but after 20 years we are still just as enthused as a group. We are working on new modules and expanding the layout while also upgrading and maintaining all the older modules. Here's a teaser from me. Maybe Mike will chime in with one too!

Bill Denton

Skytopmodels.com

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8149
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2024, 09:44:08 PM »
+1

It's not that we don't want to share, it's that I don't have the time to learn to do it up to snuff!  Jim linked to some of the forum build manual stuff.  And I've done various drawings and diagrams over the years.  I picture some of the great stuff Kalmbach's art department has done over the years and think, some day I'll learn illustrator like this. 

Like I needed another project.

Email me if you're serious. I did the NTRAK Steam Annuals and a handful of Conrail Quarterlies, so I know my way around Adobe Indesign. I also really like seeing my handiwork in print: it's a nice change of pace from the web where things are here today and gone tomorrow.

btrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +550
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2024, 09:55:06 PM »

If it wasn’t for seeing your group’s photos online and in the hobby press, chances are I wouldn’t dive headfirst back into the hobby 10 years ago. I’ve made the trip twice from Cleveland to Milwaukee just to take notes and enjoy the layout at RailFest. I have to give credit to you guys for having such a great variety of people dedicated to the visual and operational continuity of the layout. I really respect that discipline, but also all the craftsmanship and creativity born from it.

You can count me in for a book! When I was in journalism school I used Adobe Indesign, which even if you’re vaguely familiar with photoshop’s mechanics, can easily be picked up. If you have any questions about it, feel free to give me a PM.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2024, 10:39:09 PM by btrain »

chessie system fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +446
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2024, 10:34:52 PM »
Every time I see pictures of you guys it makes me wish there was a way to do something similar near me (or that I was closer!). But to pull it off, this takes a concentration of modelers with prototype knowledge, quality construction and scenery skills, plus agreement on what general area to model.  There frankly isn't enough people like that near me to be able to do that.

And I suppose it helps that mainlines in Modutrak territory were double tracked.  Would the general public be as interested in a Southeastern prototypically single tracked layout, where you only occasionally saw a moving train? I would, but I predict I'm in the minority.
Aaron Bearden

mark.hinds

• Crew
  • Respect: +63
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2024, 01:59:27 PM »
The thing I'm most proud of is the fact that not only have we pushed the envelope in N scale but after 20 years we are still just as enthused as a group. We are working on new modules and expanding the layout while also upgrading and maintaining all the older modules. Here's a teaser from me. Maybe Mike will chime in with one too!

(image removed)

Nice to hear that the group is still active.  What happened to the model160.com website, though?  IIRC, it had some nice information in it, including images of all commercially available N-scale trucks. 

MH