Author Topic: Bachmann K4 sound issues  (Read 201 times)

jargonlet

• Crew
  • Respect: +134
Bachmann K4 sound issues
« on: April 29, 2024, 12:40:34 AM »
I have an n scale Bachmann K4 that became unresponsive. I reset it to factory default with my NCE Powercab. It now runs but the sound is wonky. No matter what the loco is doing, it sounds like it is idling. It has no chuffs. Per the economy manual, I set cv112 to 0 and still no chuffs.  Now when I hit the button for whistle, the bell comes on and when I hit the bell, it does a short whistle. Has anyone else had similar problems with these? I should add that I would just run it muted but the mute also does not work.

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +569
Re: Bachmann K4 sound issues
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2024, 07:56:52 AM »
Have you powered down the Power Cab since you made the programming changes?  It has a known bug that swaps some of the functions associated with the buttons, which clears up with a power cycle.

jargonlet

• Crew
  • Respect: +134
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2024, 10:37:13 AM »
It has been off multiple times. I’ve tried several times to fix the issue but with avail. I am starting to think either I’m missing something or the decoder has an issue

Maletrain

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2024, 04:20:27 PM »
Part of the problem may be that "resets" are not necessarily back to what came in the box.  I always consider that the LAST option, never the first.

Anyway, you have done it already, so you have to deal with whatever that did.

Are you sure the bell and whistle are still mixed up? That is the part that is like the Power Cab bug that goes away on cycling the power to the Power Cab.  If you still have that after power cycling the Power Cab, then it is probably part of the reset problem.

I don't have a Bachmann K-4 to look at, but I do have a Bachmann 2-8-0 with the Economi decoder.  Looking at that, I see a slip of paper added to the rest of their literature that says. "Please Note: If you decide to reset your locomotive to factory defaults, please set CV 211 to 0 after the factory reset has been completed."

I note that your original post says you set your CV 112 to zero, not CV 211.  Please check to see if your paper says CV 112 and not CV 211.  And, please use your Power Cab to read both CV 112 and CV 211 and post what those numbers are.

Maletrain

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2024, 04:40:48 PM »
Looking at the Economi technical Reference Manual here https://soundtraxx.com/content/Reference/Manuals/Econami/Econami-Steam-Tech-Reference.pdf , I see that CV-112 is part of the sound setup CVs, and CV-211 is the low speed compensation.  I am not sure this reference is correct for all of Bachmann's "Sound Value" Econami steam loco installs.