Author Topic: Sticky Print  (Read 1111 times)

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +1003
Sticky Print
« on: April 02, 2022, 07:12:47 PM »
I just received some 3D prints from CMR.  Each one seems done with a different type of printer.
One of them (an N scale snow plow) is quite sticky/tacky for some reason.  It's a grey resin of some kind.

CMR suggested washing in Dawn or similar detergent, but that doesn't seem to have helped much.  Any suggestions?
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

Erock482

• Crew
  • Respect: +43
Re: Sticky Print
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2022, 07:22:24 PM »
If it's a resin based 3D print, set it in some sunlight for a while to let it cure a bit longer. A bath in denatured alcohol before will help remove any uncured resin. Rinse with water and let air dry, then set in the sun to cure.

nickelplate759

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2022, 08:15:54 PM »
@Erock482  - thanks! Trying it now on some of the scrap support from the print.  How long should it sit in the sun?

And should it be direct sun?
George
NKPH&TS #3628

Erock482

• Crew
  • Respect: +43
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2022, 08:19:32 PM »
+1
Half hour should be enough, direct is what you want

AlwaysSolutions

• Crew
  • Respect: +63
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2022, 08:24:36 PM »
+1
@Erock482How long should it sit in the sun?  And should it be direct sun?

For something as small as a plow only five to ten of minutes in the sun should be fine.  It's too late to change the order but alcohol bath first, then sun if needed after drying.  Tacky usually indicates that it wasn't thoroughly cleaned or likely cleaned in really dirty alcohol that's past ready to be changed out.  Hopefully the sunshine cure fixed everything for you though.

Mike

nickelplate759

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2022, 08:39:41 PM »
For something as small as a plow only five to ten of minutes in the sun should be fine.  It's too late to change the order but alcohol bath first, then sun if needed after drying.  Tacky usually indicates that it wasn't thoroughly cleaned or likely cleaned in really dirty alcohol that's past ready to be changed out.  Hopefully the sunshine cure fixed everything for you though.

Mike

My wife pointed out that she has a nail curing box.   I'm trying that with some scrap supports now.  I did wash in denatured alcohol first, and that helped a lot.  If the scrap turns out well I'll put the plow in.

Oh - it's not a small pilot plow. It's an N scale Russel plow.

Interestingly enough, the resin print material fluoresces quite strongly.  I didn't expect that.
George
NKPH&TS #3628

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5532
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2022, 08:41:07 PM »
Nail curing box is exactly what I use. Sunlight will do it quicker.

AlwaysSolutions

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2022, 09:21:06 PM »
Oh - it's not a small pilot plow. It's an N scale Russel plow.

Ahh, okay.  If you can, try to cure it "evenly" whether you do it in the nail chamber or outside.  Meaning rotate the model maybe 90 degrees every couple of minutes.  May even want to flip it upside down so the inside can get some rays, too.  I'm surprised this was sent to you in a state that you'd have to do this.  I've never sent anything out that needed additional curing and definitely not anything that was still sticky.  At any rate I think you'll be able to get it all fixed up without too much additional effort.  Also note, if you do this outside be mindful of the intensity of the sun and heat - It probably isn't an issue for most folks but I did ruin some shells by curing outside (I'm in AZ, I definitely should have known better) if it's really bright and hot.  I still think around 10 mins should do it for sunshine.  If it isn't firmed up by then, give it another 5.

Mike

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2946
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2022, 09:02:29 AM »
It probably isn't an issue for most folks but I did ruin some shells by curing outside (I'm in AZ, I definitely should have known better) if it's really bright and hot.  I still think around 10 mins should do it for sunshine.  If it isn't firmed up by then, give it another 5.

Mike

Mike -- when curing outside in the sun -- put the model into water while it cures ..

nickelplate759

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2022, 03:42:36 PM »
Well, the good news is that the alcohol cleared up the stickiness, and the UV hardened up the shell (it was noticeably soft).  The bad news is that the UV ( I used a nail UV box, not the sun) also exacerbated some warping, although some was present ahead of time.

Not sure it's salvageable.  Note the "roof" over the plow (rises up to the right) and the right side of the plow area.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
George
NKPH&TS #3628

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5532
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2022, 03:50:20 PM »
The roof overhang could be fixed with hot water. Hold it under hot water and bend it down (maybe slightly more than needed). Then quickly hit it with cold water.

AlwaysSolutions

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2022, 04:13:46 PM »
Not sure it's salvageable.

If warping it back into shape fixes everything, follow Chris's advice on the hot water cold shock method.  You can do it multiple times if needed (and if you can, only heat the area you need to manipulate as you could have unintended consequences with other areas if they are made pliable for this.)  Otherwise at this point I'd get in touch with CMR about a replacement.  I've never dealt with them before but this really sounds like it was accidentally sent out in that state.

Mike

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2022, 06:49:15 PM »
Since this is a purchased item, make it the seller's problem.

nickelplate759

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2022, 08:52:19 PM »
I contacted CMR, and sent them pictures, and asked how I might go about addressing the distortion in the shell.   They immediately offered to print a new one.  I'll update when it arrives.
George
NKPH&TS #3628

nickelplate759

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2022, 05:35:54 PM »
The new print just arrived from CMR.  It's not sticky, and not soft.  They left it in the printing support matrix, so I've got some work to do to free it, but it certainly seems improved.  It also looks like the changed the print orientation.

More info after I free it from its prison.
George
NKPH&TS #3628